Sixth new signing

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Details here: http://bit.ly/Signing6CTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Round peg for September.
Robin
Happy with this signing for several reasons, he's experienced, knows how to get promoted, played at a higher level but also has great crossing ability. The only risk is that he's had baggage at previous clubs.

Also well done JP, another one you called out well in advance. Here's hoping Alcock also follows in the near future.
horlickfanclub
Good to have a left back of our own.
Artemis
Um, we had Jordan Cranston for the past couple of seasons.
Whether you rated him or not, he is still a left back.

Welcome aboard, Chris Hussey.

Interesting to see who has the honour of standing in for him for games 1 to 4 next season.
Shade
Look at us, handing out 2 year contracts here, there and everywhere to players that are experienced!

Your move, FGR. Or is it our move again?
Robin
Shade wrote:Look at us, handing out 2 year contracts here, there and everywhere to players that are experienced!

Real ambition being shown by the club right now, who cares what FGR are doing. If Winnie leaves to join them then more fool him, clearly motivated by that signing on fee rather than ambition to challenge next season.
shevates
Dont know that much on him, but what i like hes at a good age with experience could do us well
Shade
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:Look at us, handing out 2 year contracts here, there and everywhere to players that are experienced!

who cares what FGR are doing.
I do, because it's funny that they've signed only a (previously) non-league goalkeeper so far :lol:
Chris FGR
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:

who cares what FGR are doing.
I do, because it's funny that they've signed only a (previously) non-league goalkeeper so far :lol:
Maybe that's because, unlike yourselves we don't have bottomless pots of cash to throw at proven experienced football league players, and have to bide our time to wait for bargains...... ;)
Lord Elpuz
Welcome, young Hussey.
Robin
I would imagine FGR are behind us because they didn't know which league they would be in next season, no doubt they will make signings and be looking to avoid another relegation scrap this time around whilst I believe we will be looking to challenge for play offs.
THECHOIRBOY
JP has done an article saying FGR about to sign Winchester
Ihearye
THECHOIRBOY wrote:JP has done an article saying FGR about to sign Winchester
having difficulty finding a feck I can give about this. If money is his God, get rid
Shade
Ihearye wrote:
having difficulty finding a feck I can give about this. If money is his God, get rid
Very disappointing. Not because of losing his ability but because he would leave us for them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
He will fail under the coaching regime at FGR. If he goes there I expect to see him in non-league (or Scottish league) in 18 months - 2 years, several stone heavier.
Robin
It's been an open secret for some time now, I mentioned it on here ages ago.

That said, it's the first time we've lost a player we've wanted to FGR that I can ever recall and I feel they have been trying to do something like this for sometime (chasing Billy Waters last summer, then Dillon when we were interested). They are trying to prove themselves to be rivals and to consider themselves our equals but they are a long way off that.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:It's been an open secret for some time now, I mentioned it on here ages ago.

That said, it's the first time we've lost a player we've wanted to FGR that I can ever recall and I feel they have been trying to do something like this for sometime (chasing Billy Waters last summer, then Dillon when we were interested). They are trying to prove themselves to be rivals and to consider themselves our equals but they are a long way off that.
Don't care, move on - new season new team
THECHOIRBOY
Forgetting rivalries, cracking signing for them and shows their intent for next season though. As someone above mentioned, shows the tide has turned a bit when they sign our (2nd) best player from us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Forgetting rivalries, cracking signing for them and shows their intent for next season though. As someone above mentioned, shows the tide has turned a bit when they sign our (2nd) best player from us.
His loss. Career will go down hill. If that’s what he wants, f*ck him.
East End Robin
Squad shaping up nicely now

GK: Flinders
RB: Broom/Forster?
CB: Boyle
CB: Mullins
LB: Hussey
RM: Dawson
CM: Tozer
CM: Atangana
LM: Thomas/Addei?
ST: Eisa?
ST: Lloyd/Graham?

Subs: Lovett, Bower, Sellars?

Looks decent for this stage of the season IMO. Could do with a natural RB, at least 1 striker (probably 2 if Mo leaves), and preferably another winger, but to be this prepared before we've even reached June is astounding. And we haven't even tapped into the loan market yet.
Rulistening

Snake.
Lord Elpuz
CTFC were a struggling side last season; might it have been the case that Winchester looked better than he was, surrounded by less capable players? He was certainly found out in the home game against League 1 bound Coventry, when he was taken to the cleaners and looked the worst player on the field. He wasn’t a first choice fixture in a struggling Oldham side before he came to CTFC. Perhaps he prefers the hustle and bustle of a season of struggle and wishes to continue in that manner by joining FGR ;)

We are now signing better quality and more experenced players. Winchester would struggle to keep his place at CTFC. Time to move on.
Shade
I know it won't happen but wouldn't it be great if Winchester was just toying with them, playing them along and then right at the last minute pulled out and re-signed for us.
Robin
East End Robin wrote:Squad shaping up nicely now

GK: Flinders
RB: Broom/Forster?
CB: Boyle
CB: Mullins
LB: Hussey
RM: Dawson
CM: Tozer
CM: Atangana
LM: Thomas/Addei?
ST: Eisa?
ST: Lloyd/Graham?

Subs: Lovett, Bower, Sellars?

Looks decent for this stage of the season IMO. Could do with a natural RB, at least 1 striker (probably 2 if Mo leaves), and preferably another winger, but to be this prepared before we've even reached June is astounding. And we haven't even tapped into the loan market yet.
The squad is taking shape but clear there will be another 3-4 players still to come as a minimum. With Winchester now leaving we need another creative midfielder (Morrell?), a first choice right back (Alcock?) and a powerful striker (Akinde?) then of course we need 2-3 loans to pad out the squad.

Also with our current squad I can see us playing 5-3-2 and wing backs, and having Broom/Addei available from the bench if we need to switch to 4-4-2.
Si Robin
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Forgetting rivalries, cracking signing for them and shows their intent for next season though. As someone above mentioned, shows the tide has turned a bit when they sign our (2nd) best player from us.
All it shows is they can offer more in terms of wages and signing on fees than us. As Robin says, it's an open secret he's going there and the only reason is the money.

I don't blame him, if I was offered more money to not have to move and do the same job then I'd be out like a shot. It's a short career, he owes Cheltenham nothing, and he's allegedly being offered a lot more money than we can afford.

Goodbye, good luck, hope you're s#!t in your games against Cheltenham.

Oh, and welcome Chris Hussey - a nice 4 game ban to start the season but expect him to hit the ground running on his return.
theidlerich
Will be interesting to see how they shape up - I'm imagining the defence has been shored up; now for the attacking roles??
Red Duke
Why is he banned for 4 games?
Robin
Had a flare up with a fan when on loan at Swindle last season.
Artemis
It was five games, but one of those was the final game of this last season.
I should point out, it was an alleged altercation with a fan, which the player refutes.

Looking forward to seeing him and the other new signings play.
Starting to feel the need to renew that season ticket after all!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If he gave some stick back to a Swindon moron then we welcome him with open arms.
vickeryc
Si Robin wrote:
All it shows is they can offer more in terms of wages and signing on fees than us. As Robin says, it's an open secret he's going there and the only reason is the money.

I don't blame him, if I was offered more money to not have to move and do the same job then I'd be out like a shot. It's a short career, he owes Cheltenham nothing, and he's allegedly being offered a lot more money than we can afford.

Goodbye, good luck, hope you're s#!t in your games against Cheltenham.

Oh, and welcome Chris Hussey - a nice 4 game ban to start the season but expect him to hit the ground running on his return.
Fair point. I think most of us would do the same in those circumstances!
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If he gave some stick back to a Swindon moron then we welcome him with open arms.
Yes, it's more like he's been given a reward of an extra couple of weeks off than banned for 4 games :lol: