Why....?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Has it taken GJ two seasons to sign experienced players?
Artemis
Because this close season, like the season after relegation, the experienced players he's targeted have decided to come to the club? Unlike the last two when, by and large, they clearly didn't? Maybe we have a bit more cash to splash. Who knows, but I'm loathe to believe he didn't try and get experienced players we've heard of through the door.
Robin
I think this year we've had longer to plan, for example we know we've in talks with Hussey since Feb/March, I suspect others too. The one year we had to wait to get promoted and I think wanted to balance the books and give the champions a chance. Last year we were in a scrap and probably not a great option for players.
Nesty
the next 2 or 3 signings are crucial - a right back and a target man for starters
drgm
Maybe his priority has been to make sure the club makes a profit. Hence the square pegs
in round holes and cheap ineffective loanees.
Didn't we make a profit of £100k the first season back in the league? We may have made another
profit last season as well.

Maybe the budget has gone up. If this is the case there will be no excuses this time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Budget building. Gradually building the squad improving different areas each window. Last summer we signed Nige, Dawson and Graham for example who are all experienced.
CTFC03
I've always thought that GJ was not backed enough financially in the previous two close seasons, perhaps he is being backed more financially I don't know..

That said his recruitment since being in the FL has been terrible and he is very lucky to still be Cheltenham manager because another chairman would have said goodbye in March, in some ways that's testament to the club for sticking with somebody and giving them a chance when other clubs would have just been hasty and make a change but the tactics or lack of in some games, all the loanees we had last season, taking the mick out of a fan at a fans forum, playing your 1st choice GK in a game against a promotion chasing side before having hip surgery the next week, not signing a RB and not signing any CB cover for Forster and Grimes and they both went off for different reasons in the same game are just a few of a long list of poor decisions that go against him. You couldn't make it up, he is lucky to be here, I do like GJ, he hasn't done the business in the FL for us yet but I'm hoping that next season is where we see how good he really is, I'm pleased with the signings so far and I'm hoping that for once that we have a squad of majority permanent players with maybe 2/3 loans maximum.
Si Robin
I think it gets overlooked that both Paul Baker and Gary Johnson have said in the past couple of months that money was available in January but GJ agreed with PB to save it until summer as the playoffs looked way off and we were never really in any serious danger.

Clearly we now have that little bit more money to play with, and negotiations have been going on since sometime before the season's end.
solihullkev
Because he knows he will have £1million + banked before season starts but wants business done before then so clubs /players don't get greedy

Sound commercial sense
THECHOIRBOY
Si Robin wrote:I think it gets overlooked that both Paul Baker and Gary Johnson have said in the past couple of months that money was available in January but GJ agreed with PB to save it until summer as the playoffs looked way off and we were never really in any serious danger.

Clearly we now have that little bit more money to play with, and negotiations have been going on since sometime before the season's end.
Well said and a good point