I love it when...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
...everyone's on holiday. It's such a fun and vibrant time...
Nesty
there's more activity in a nun's knickers....... I guess GJ is on a well earned holiday?
Shade
I believe so. It seemed to be implied early last week that he was going on his hols now. I'd assume the rest of his staff are as well.
plymrob
For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote:For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.
Summer transfers are like a chain reaction, once we and others get players in or out it triggers as a flurry of signings. Just look at signings 5,6,7,8 coming in as Pell and Winny left.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
plymrob wrote:For some, I think it was the Bee Gee's that had a word for the lack of news.... or was it actually Steps? Best ask RCS on that one. On the other hand... one could be pleased with the early doors business... It saves six weeks of moaning that nothing has happened.... or so I thought.
Summer transfers are like a chain reaction, once we and others get players in or out it triggers as a flurry of signings. Just look at signings 5,6,7,8 coming in as Pell and Winny left.
Have I missed something? Who is signing #8?
Shade
On another note, assuming nothing has changed with Sellars as we haven't heard anything, how long do we think he'll be given to make his mind up before GJ takes it off the table? He didn't give anyone any time (McLennan) when we came up from the NL. Obviously, more has come out about that since, but it remains unknown as to whether GJ knew GM was having problems, as far as I know.
horlickfanclub
It cost us to not replace George for eighteen months.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:It cost us to not replace George for eighteen months.
By cost do you mean turning around the club finances and building a foundation on the most solid base we have had for years?
CTFC03
It almost cost us our place in the league, that's how bad Cranston was in his first season in the FL followed by being just below average this season gone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:It almost cost us our place in the league, that's how bad Cranston was in his first season in the FL followed by being just below average this season gone.
Lol. Relegation was never in doubt from January onwards once the Champions who were not up to task.
CTFC03
I'm afraid that wasn't the case, we only just did it with a game or maybe two to spare and we were getting better results when Davis was in for Cranston, I'll be shocked if he gets another FL club, he is terrible.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:I'm afraid that wasn't the case, we only just did it with a game or maybe two to spare and we were getting better results when Davis was in for Cranston, I'll be shocked if he gets another FL club, he is terrible.
Not disputing Cranston. Just making the point that JC or no JC once the squad was overhauled in the January window relegation was never a fear, even as we approached the last few games we all knew we had enough.
Ihearye
Indeed, those in the know with a much more acute footballing brain, knew back in January that year, that the worst we would do finish a win and a draw above the relegation zone. Even so finely to the point that they knew that if we hadn't beat h'pool 1-0, we would be down. Bookies must have been taken to the cleaners on that one.

Much the same as this year
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Indeed, those in the know with a much more acute footballing brain, knew back in January that year, that the worst we would do finish a win and a draw above the relegation zone. Even so finely to the point that they knew that if we hadn't beat h'pool 1-0, we would be down. Bookies must have been taken to the cleaners on that one.

Much the same as this year
Don’t think anyone would claim to foresee individual results and final points tallies; but it was clear to all the side assembled during January was not going to go down.
Artemis
Was it? Wasn't to me. But for a penalty save against Orient and a scrappy 1-0 win over Hartlepool, we would have gone down. The recruitment in January certainly made the side less likely to get relegated, but by no means certain to stay up.
CTFC03
Correct Artemis, much better squad from January but we could have easily gone back down again.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:Was it? Wasn't to me. But for a penalty save against Orient and a scrappy 1-0 win over Hartlepool, we would have gone down. The recruitment in January certainly made the side less likely to get relegated, but by no means certain to stay up.
If memory serves me correctly (no doubt the footballing guru's will correct me). if we had lost to H'pool we would have gone down ?
Si Robin
On a strictly points basis, yes.

However, had we lost to Hartlepool, who's to say what would have happened at Fratton Park on the last day of the season. A draw there would have been enough to see us safe and you'd like to think we'd have taken it a bit more seriously than the 6-1 drubbing we ended up getting as the players were well and truly on the beach.

Fact is, we did beat Hartlepool so any ifs and buts are irrelevant.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed, of course if we lost every game we would have gone down and had we won every game we would have been top ten.

The fact is that in January it was evident we had formed a squad that would stay up. Whether we stayed up by goal difference, four points, or fourteen points is neither hear nor there - a side the manager, players, and fans knew was good enough to survive did just that. Job done move on.

Notable most of the same people who seemed not to have recovered from their misplaced and needless fear of relegation are the same people desperate to ship out our best goal scorer because they are too scared about missing out on a transfer fee rather than being excited about what we can achieve with him in the team.