The Official Non-England World Cup 2018 Thread

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The home of RNF chat during the World Cup for non-England chat.

I.e. me getting excited by Denmark.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good start for Russia. Salah and Suarez must be on for double hatricks vs the Arabs.
asl
KSA looked awful. I only watched the first half. They made Russia look good.
kora
How the hell did they get this far with that defence or should I say, lack of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:How the hell did they get this far with that defence or should I say, lack of it.
Shows how bad Asian football is.

The Saudis were second behind Japan in their final qualifying round group of six teams.

Qatar, the next hosts of course so qualify by default, finished bottom in their final round group of six.

In the previous round the Saudis topped their group, ahead of UAE, Palestine, Malaysia and East Timor.

Meanwhile Italy and the Netherlands aren’t featured at the World Cup.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
kora wrote:How the hell did they get this far with that defence or should I say, lack of it.
Shows how bad Asian football is.

The Saudis were second behind Japan in their final qualifying round group of six teams.

Qatar, the next hosts of course so qualify by default, finished bottom in their final round group of six.

In the previous round the Saudis topped their group, ahead of UAE, Palestine, Malaysia and East Timor.

Meanwhile Italy and the Netherlands aren’t featured at the World Cup.
You have to remember that it is not a competition for best 32 teams in the FIFA rankings. There is a clue in the name of the competition.

You could say the same about the Champions League. Qualification is not based of being in top 32 teams in Europe.
Shade
I think Qatar may be the first host nation to lose an opening game of the World Cup, unless they manage to screw it so that San Marino qualify or that they don't play the opening game.

Heard on the radio during the game yesterday, something that I completely missed last year. In a friendly v Australia just after one of the terror attacks in London, in which two Australians died and two others were stabbed, the Saudi players and officials refused to take part in a minute's silence before the game, except for one of their players who appeared to stand still, facing the Aussies with his hands behind his back, whilst the rest of the team continued jogging and passing balls around. So, here's hoping for another 20 goals to be put past them.
leohoenig
Qatar's problems recently is that they still have to play some Qatar born players. I imagine they have got more in the wings of the Aspire academy that will become Qatari citizens in the next few years.

What do you think of the VAR use so far? Don't forget the Robins Trust event, "A Step too VAR?" with ex Premier League referee Chris Foy at the club on Tuesday. Kick off 7 p.m. Free for trust members. Non-members can sign up at the door, or pay £5 admission. (Current membership fee is £5).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
VAR working well at the World Cup in my view.
Shade
Until last night and England's game. Shock. Horror.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Russia vs Egypt. Another game where a spindly skilfull side had no answer to height and strength of a big European.

The hosts cruising.
Shade
A real 'mare for the Egypt coach, who could have played Salah in the first game and possibly beaten Uruguay. Now they stare elimination in the face because they thought they'd cruise past Russia and the Saudi's.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:A real 'mare for the Egypt coach, who could have played Salah in the first game and possibly beaten Uruguay. Now they stare elimination in the face because they thought they'd cruise past Russia and the Saudi's.
The Saudi’s what? ;)

Yup. That’s world football. Not the African Nations where a bit of skill and organisation wins you the troohy.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:A real 'mare for the Egypt coach, who could have played Salah in the first game and possibly beaten Uruguay. Now they stare elimination in the face because they thought they'd cruise past Russia and the Saudi's.
The Saudi’s what? ;)
Allah awful defence.
Nesty
Shade wrote:Until last night and England's game. Shock. Horror.
I dont know what the VAR panel watch but the standard of officiating is awful. the wrestling at corners & free kicks is fast becoming a joke
asl
Nesty wrote: the standard of officiating is awful. the wrestling at corners & free kicks is fast becoming a joke
Agreed with the last bit - but I think the general standard of the on-field officiating has actually been very good.
Nesty
asl wrote:
Nesty wrote: the standard of officiating is awful. the wrestling at corners & free kicks is fast becoming a joke
Agreed with the last bit - but I think the general standard of the on-field officiating has actually been very good.
yes - for the run of the mill stuff, but for set plays its terrible even with VAR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
asl wrote:
yes - for the run of the mill stuff, but for set plays its terrible even with VAR
Stupid thing is FIFA said before the tourno that they would crack down on pulling, pushing and wrestling in the box.

Kane and Mitrovic the two most obvious. It didn’t cost England in the end but it could have cost Serbia their place in the 2nd round.

If the point of VAR is to get the obvious black and white calls correct, it has demonstrably failed even if it is a positive step in the right direction.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another scandalous VAR decision, or lack of in Germany vs Sweden.

Blatant penalty for Sweden waved away by referee and VAR does nothing.

It’s actually more frustrating having VAR and refs not giving blatant penalties than it is when there is no VAR and they get it wrong.

I like VAR but if it doesn’t award absolutely blatant penalties then it is a pointless endeavour that just creates more frustration.

Dare we think that Germany would have been given the penalty and it is one of either gutlessness or corruption that denied Sweden?
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:VAR working well at the World Cup in my view.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another scandalous VAR decision
Errmmm

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:VAR working well at the World Cup in my view.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another scandalous VAR decision
Errmmm

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
The first quote was made prior to Poulsen, Mitrovic and Berg decision (the latter two being non-decisions), the first two of which could have cost sides their places in the second round.
Shade
Glad to see the officials got to grips with it (pun intended) yesterday, but why it hasn't been the same from the start...
Nesty
The Hand of God part II
leohoenig
If you do not want to read about World Cup Expansion, New FIFA competitions and the dollar effects, then do not read this blog
http://leohoenig.com/?p=1665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The walking football tiki-taka mob out then. Thank feck for that. Hopefully the final nail in the coffin of the possession obsession school of thought. Possession does not win football matches. Love seeing these 70%+ possession sides with no inclination to do anything positive get their comeuppance.
asl
And, of course, Russia were *super* positive, weren't they...? :roll:

The final will be interesting with France and Brazil the only 'fancied' teams left - and they're likely to meet in the semi-final, aren't they?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:And, of course, Russia were *super* positive, weren't they...? :roll:

The final will be interesting with France and Brazil the only 'fancied' teams left - and they're likely to meet in the semi-final, aren't they?
Russia are a limited side so set out for the draw. Onus was on Spain to show something to overcome that and they failed boringly and abjectly. They scored as much from 24% possession than Spain from 76%, so one could say when they than the ball they were more positive and three times as effective with the ball.

A side with more pace and desire to run at them, or who pepper the box with crosses to two or three strikers will beat Russia comfortably. Croatia will stuff them, or Denmark will do another with long-throws and crosses from Chris E if they surprise Croatia.

Croatia v England in the other semi for me - but Columbia will be tough.

Don’t think Brazil will get that far. Mexico are more of an organised team than Brazil and will defend solidly and cause Brazil’s rabble of a back line trouble. If Brazil do get passed that test then Belgium should easily put two or three past them.

France vs Mexico my other semi final prediction. Uruguay probably the toughest opponent you could get in the quarters - Cavani may miss the game though.
Shade
ColOmbia.

I hate getting too excited about England as it's inevitably going to end in disappointment but this couldn't have opened up much better for us to reach a World Cup Final. Feels like it's 4 years too soon, though.