Steps concert

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
..sorry if I missed it,but do we know if the concert was a financial success?
Red Duke
paperboy wrote:..sorry if I missed it,but do we know if the concert was a financial success?
Are you not sure whether you went to the concert? I know that Steps are definitely forgetable, so I can understand your amnesia. :)
Ihearye
I hear they did a lot of their new material! Who would have thought.
Shade
paperboy wrote:..sorry if I missed it,but do we know if the concert was a financial success?
Pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned. The only way for us to tell, unless you're on the board, would be if there are more in the future, I'd imagine.

I haven't even seen how many people attended the concert.
paperboy
Shade wrote:
Pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned. The only way for us to tell, unless you're on the board, would be if there are more in the future, I'd imagine.

I haven't even seen how many people attended the concert.
Thanks Shade.
itsallbollox
I did read somewhere that it was quite successful and are looking to do more in the future. As for attendance think the figure was 3000+.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It would be a tragedy if we lost money.
Shade
I don't know how it works for sure but I would have thought the booking agent/promoter would pay a certain amount to book the stadium and then we'd maybe get a small % of ticket sales? I can't see us being in a position to have lost any money but it would depend on whether the profit was worth any hassle that might come with it.

I can't remember who it was, some 90's or early 00's TV personality, but someone was doing a comedy gig a while back and only 10 tickets were sold in advance so the gig was cancelled as the promoter would have lost money on the ticket sales compared to what the room cost.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I don't know how it works for sure but I would have thought the booking agent/promoter would pay a certain amount to book the stadium and then we'd maybe get a small % of ticket sales? I can't see us being in a position to have lost any money but it would depend on whether the profit was worth any hassle that might come with it.

I can't remember who it was, some 90's or early 00's TV personality, but someone was doing a comedy gig a while back and only 10 tickets were sold in advance so the gig was cancelled as the promoter would have lost money on the ticket sales compared to what the room cost.
Yeah, whoever risked the upfront cost, I’m sure it wouldn’t have been their first rodeo.
longmover
Surely WR was just the venue and they would have been paid upfront by the promoter
Ihearye
longmover wrote:Surely WR was just the venue and they would have been paid upfront by the promoter
Correct, it was stated early doors that the contyract was such that we would not be losing money on it
paperboy
..more info in today's echo,stating that with a 3000+ attendance and good feedback it will be back next year as a 2 day offering and mentioned Rita Ora,Craig David and UB40 as potential acts.

Positive news.
longmover
paperboy wrote:..more info in today's echo,stating that with a 3000+ attendance and good feedback it will be back next year as a 2 day offering and mentioned Rita Ora,Craig David and UB40 as potential acts.

Positive news.
Puts us on the map for other promotors, WR bringing the musical gap between Birmingham and Bristol :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I bet the income per hour of pitch use is much bigger than what we got from Gloucester.
Shade
With Kingsholm apparently going back to staging gigs next summer, it'll be interesting to see what live acts we can attract to the area. It was rumoured the likes of Stereophonics were going to be playing there this summer before they decided they needed to work on the pitch. Hopefully, we can see more than just old pop reunion gigs at WR in the future (but whatever brings money in at the end of the day).
paperboy
...we have a three year deal with a promoter evidently.
horlickfanclub
Apparently there were some complaints about the volume from neighbours so the Council might get involved.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Apparently there were some complaints about the volume from neighbours so the Council might get involved.
The locals driven crazy by the boot-scooting baby.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:With Kingsholm apparently going back to staging gigs next summer, it'll be interesting to see what live acts we can attract to the area. It was rumoured the likes of Stereophonics were going to be playing there this summer before they decided they needed to work on the pitch. Hopefully, we can see more than just old pop reunion gigs at WR in the future (but whatever brings money in at the end of the day).
More to the question, I wonder how many would turn up for the likes of the Stereophonics?

I went to see Feeder in Gloucester leisure centre ten years ago and it was empty. A lot of die hard fans had travelled to see them and not many locals at all. When we bought the tickets the leisure centre staff said a lot of people assumed it must be a tribute act so demand was low!
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:Apparently there were some complaints about the volume from neighbours so the Council might get involved.
Its a 3 hour concert for one night of a 365 day year, but, they don't moan about the traffic, congestion or noise 3000 people make at a football ground every other week :lol:
bigdavejambo
paperboy wrote:..more info in today's echo,stating that with a 3000+ attendance and good feedback it will be back next year as a 2 day offering and mentioned Rita Ora,Craig David and UB40 as potential acts.

Positive news.

a 'step' in the right direction then
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:With Kingsholm apparently going back to staging gigs next summer, it'll be interesting to see what live acts we can attract to the area. It was rumoured the likes of Stereophonics were going to be playing there this summer before they decided they needed to work on the pitch. Hopefully, we can see more than just old pop reunion gigs at WR in the future (but whatever brings money in at the end of the day).
More to the question, I wonder how many would turn up for the likes of the Stereophonics?

I went to see Feeder in Gloucester leisure centre ten years ago and it was empty. A lot of die hard fans had travelled to see them and not many locals at all. When we bought the tickets the leisure centre staff said a lot of people assumed it must be a tribute act so demand was low!
I'm one of those local, die-hard Feeder fans and was there too. And I'd been up to see them in a pretty packed Birmingham just a week or two earlier, as Gloucester was an extra date added on after tickets for the original tour had been on sale and sold well, so I can believe that people may have thought it was a tribute or something. Also, it was c!#p weather that day. I think it was November, same day that our FA Cup game at Morecambe was abandoned due to fog.

I also went to see Grant Nicholas (Feeder) on a solo tour at the Guildhall about 3 years ago. Now THAT was empty, but other venues around the country were well attended by all accounts.

I believe concerts at Kingsholm have usually had good turnouts, however.