Yates takes over at Macclesfield

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44533156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Horteng
Be great to see him back at WR
longmover
Didn't see that coming, suppose you cant turn that down can you.
Shade
Wow. Surprised. Thought he would have stayed close to home and with a team on the up (you'd think).
longmover
keeps him in the loop, if he does well he goes up if he doesn't do well can drop back to national (and the cycle starts again)
Si Robin
All the best to Yatesy. Think he'll do well there.
Ihearye
Good news. Well deserved
Malabus
Three years contract, quite rare these days in the lowest football league tier.
Robin
Suspect he will get a very mixed reception upon return but certainly landed in his feet with this move. Macc very likely to struggle next season given budget so he can’t really lose, will be a hero if he keeps them up which I would not rule out.
Lord Elpuz
Good luck Mark, you deserve another shot at League 2 after showing what you could do by performing a miracle at Solihull. Macclesfield have got themselves the right man to keep them in The Football League. Doubters beware.

I hope Mr Yates gets a good reception at Whaddon Road, I feel he deserves respect.
Si Robin
I genuinely believe the only person who thinks he won't get an all round good reception is Robin. I've not seen or heard anyone else say anything negative about Yates since he left, with most Cheltenham fans I know openly applauding his efforts at Solihull.
Robin
From experience it's mixed Si, some people like him, others don't and I don't believe I'm being biased in saying that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:From experience it's mixed Si, some people like him, others don't and I don't believe I'm being biased in saying that.
Do they dislike him enough to give him a bad reception?
asl
One of my favourite players. He'll get a good reception from me, despite what I feel about the last couple of years of his managerial tenure.
CTFC03
He became a liability here and he should have walked, we also should have said goodbye when his contract expired but instead we bottled it and offered him a new one year deal, I personally would have said goodbye after the Tamworth debacle but that's history now.

I think Macclesfield have made an interesting move here, his player recruitment was very good here and some of the football on show was very good but there were far too many off days in his time here, too many defeats away from home where the opposition didn't have to get out of second gear, too slow to change tactics when it wasn't going our way, odd team selections/formations etc, Cheltenham Town managers had a smooth ride under Baker and he got quite lucky imo that we didn't get rid of him sooner but that said he's passionate, has good contacts and players seem to get on with him so it will be interesting.

I personally think he will keep them up, they are in a good location to attract players from other clubs (loan players from Prem clubs in particular like Accrington seem to use) and they've just been promoted so a good buzz around the place. Wages will be their stumbling block to get who they want though.
horlickfanclub
He ran out of steam here but why anyone would not appreciate his playing efforts and give him a good reception is bonkers.
Give him a cheer Robin.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:I genuinely believe the only person who thinks he won't get an all round good reception is Robin. I've not seen or heard anyone else say anything negative about Yates since he left, with most Cheltenham fans I know openly applauding his efforts at Solihull.

Couldn't agree more.
A stalwart as a player and did a good job as a manager for us. If memory serves me, he was starved of finance, the summer before he was replaced(?). Yet, still nothing to say he couldn't have kept us up and then got rid of the toxic few in the summer and rebuilt. Seems to have been the norm of late.
Fail to see how anyone could fail to have respect for what he has done for CTFC over many years
Ihearye
CTFC03 wrote:He became a liability here and he should have walked, we also should have said goodbye when his contract expired but instead we bottled it and offered him a new one year deal, I personally would have said goodbye after the Tamworth debacle but that's history now.

I think Macclesfield have made an interesting move here, his player recruitment was very good here and some of the football on show was very good but there were far too many off days in his time here, too many defeats away from home where the opposition didn't have to get out of second gear, too slow to change tactics when it wasn't going our way, odd team selections/formations etc, Cheltenham Town managers had a smooth ride under Baker and he got quite lucky imo that we didn't get rid of him sooner but that said he's passionate, has good contacts and players seem to get on with him so it will be interesting.

I personally think he will keep them up, they are in a good location to attract players from other clubs (loan players from Prem clubs in particular like Accrington seem to use) and they've just been promoted so a good buzz around the place. Wages will be their stumbling block to get who they want though.
If that were a reason for calling him a liability .................
Shade
No matter what you think of his tenure as manager, Yatesy only ever tried his best for CTFC and desperately wanted to make it work. Only morons would do anything other than either give him a good reception or keep quiet.
Fuller
Neil Howarth joining Mark Yates as his assistant and best of luck to Neil too, he did his bit for us both as a player and as assistant manager here.
Artemis
Howarth is a former Macclesfield player and captain. I believe we signed him from them.
Fuller
Artemis wrote:Howarth is a former Macclesfield player and captain. I believe we signed him from them.
Correct - he joined the season we won the Conference in 1998/99.

Yates and Howarth both signed for us within a few weeks of each other, Cotts went for the winners to get us over the line.