Gary Johnson on Mo Eisa's future

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
And day one of pre-season, all here: http://bit.ly/CTFCPreSeason18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scrolled for ages but could see no text about what Gary had to say about Mo.
horlickfanclub
The Manager explains in the interview.
Robin
This is almost the worst case scenario but I hope the club do not buckle and take below market value for Eisa. Listening to GJ it sounds like Mo is likely leaving and there is plenty of interest but as yet nothing agreed.

At the moment we are already 1-2 strikers light, if we sell Mo late we will be forced to pay over value for a replacement so would rather we sign someone permanently now to take the pressure off a little.
Lord Elpuz
In times gone by the Club would have got talked into selling to the first interested party. No longer, not whilst Gary Johnson is our manager. It’s in situations like this that we see the full benefit of having a very experienced manager at the helm.

I fully expect Mo to move on this summer. Gary holds all the trump cards because there’s two years left on Mo’s contract. If someone wants him, they have to pay, as he’s a proven goal scorer. And there’s already widespread interest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just paper talk from Gary. Mo isn’t going anywhere.
Nesty
Robin wrote:This is almost the worst case scenario but I hope the club do not buckle and take below market value for Eisa. Listening to GJ it sounds like Mo is likely leaving and there is plenty of interest but as yet nothing agreed.

At the moment we are already 1-2 strikers light, if we sell Mo late we will be forced to pay over value for a replacement so would rather we sign someone permanently now to take the pressure off a little.
exactly -no brainer - we have to sign a couple of strikers anyway - so sign one now from the top of the wish list.
Robin
Lord Elpuz wrote:In times gone by the Club would have got talked into selling to the first interested party. No longer, not whilst Gary Johnson is our manager. It’s in situations like this that we see the full benefit of having a very experienced manager at the helm.

I fully expect Mo to move on this summer. Gary holds all the trump cards because there’s two years left on Mo’s contract. If someone wants him, they have to pay, as he’s a proven goal scorer. And there’s already widespread interest.
Absolutely spot on, GJ had his critics last season but he knows how to handle these situations probably better than any manager we've had since SC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting GJ said Mo is sensible, is happy at CTFC but has the usual ‘representatives’. I trust GJ to keep Mo on the straight and narrow.
art vandalay
I fully expect him to leave. Worst cast scenario is that it all happens very late and we end up with a youth team player on loan as part of the deal.
longmover
The big clubs that can pay the asking price will be waiting for the WC to finish to see who shines, then the deal will done (possibly)
paperboy
Well as Bristol City have sold Bobby Reid for 10 million they might consider a million quid punt on Mo,but convenient as that might be one would think they'd spend their dosh on a proven striker at that level.
Robin
longmover wrote:The big clubs that can pay the asking price will be waiting for the WC to finish to see who shines, then the deal will done (possibly)
I'd imagine 75% of the Championship could afford the £1.5million given the funds at that level now, so hopefully there is no impact/delay from the World cup. Notably Bristol City just sold two players for £14million so have huge funds burning hole in their pocket. I wonder if they will make a move for Mo now.
Nesty
as an aside on Marlon Pack's Wickipedia page it says we got 100k compo when we sold him to Brizzle City
Robin
Yeah not much but he was out of contract and only been here two years if I recall. Bristol were also league one at the time.
Shade
Somebody will probably come in for him with a good enough offer right at the last minute, we'll sell, but it'll be too late to do anything with the £1.5m and we won't have a goalscoring CF for the first 6 months of the season.
Robin
There in is the problem Shade, we look like we've fixed the issues at the back but are very light up front. I'd say we need 1-2 strikers before Eisa goes already. If we get these signings right we could potentially challenge this year, if we sell Eisa though and are left with Graham, Lloyd and some young loanee like Hinds we may not even finish top half.
Shade
Kind of feels like we're playing Russian roulette with the striker situation - gambling on whether to get someone cheap-ish in now, or wait to see if Eisa goes and then splash the cash on one or two top end attackers for League 2. Can tell from GJ's interview that he doesn't know whether he'll be here or not, but hopes he will be.
Si Robin
I think GJ knows exactly what's happening with Mo - I think a couple of clubs are interested and we've told them our price. It's up to them to match it - he's just waiting on one club to get near enough to it.

He has irons in fires, and I think he knows if he can get, say, 80% or so of the asking price he knows exactly what door he's going to be knocking on (for example, Barnet for Akinde - not that there is any evidence at all we're interested in Akinde).
horlickfanclub
I am sure the Manager has plan B if Eisa goes but i reckon Lloyd might get 15 goals this season with the right service and Addai might chip in.
Player2 Has Joined
A lot of pressure on young shoulders, but maybe the management are happy enough with what they've seen from George Lloyd so far, that they think he'll step up well next season.
Robin
Lloyd is what 19? Expecting him to start regularly this season is a lot of pressure on young shoulders. I wouldn't mind him going out on loan for the first six months to somewhere like Solihull ensuring he gets regular games at that level would be better for his development I feel. This is of course dependant upon us signing a couple of strikers in the next few weeks.
Robin
Player2 Has Joined wrote:A lot of pressure on young shoulders, but maybe the management are happy enough with what they've seen from George Lloyd so far, that they think he'll step up well next season.
We know Andy Williams was our primary target and we need a powerful striker irrespective as to whether Lloyd will feature more. Even four strikers though feels quite light.
Nesty
currently we are 2 strikers light. if Mo goes we need 3
Jon Palmer
Transcript here now: http://bit.ly/GJPreSeason" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
Are there any trialists around .?
Jon Palmer
Conor Thomas' brother has been training, but purely for fitness and he won't be signing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:Are there any trialists around .?
Chris Zebroski.
Robin
`Wasn't there a lad rumoured to be on trial from Plymouth JP? Feel we need to get 1-2 strikers on board and a left sided player in the next couple of weeks.
Alf
Personally I don’t think it’s the right time either for Mo or the club for him to leave. He undoubtedly has talent but is still an unfinished talent. There may well be clubs out there willing to take a gamble on him but why should we be in a rush to sell? He did well under Gary last season, which was not one of our best but with a number of decent signings coming in for next season he may be better off having another season in div 2. Another season with us with better support around him could see us with a much better player to either keep or move on. As has rightly been pointed out in other posts , whatever we get for him at this stage of his career will have to be spent on another striker/s which could be a bit af a gamble.
vickeryc
Alf wrote:Personally I don’t think it’s the right time either for Mo or the club for him to leave. He undoubtedly has talent but is still an unfinished talent. There may well be clubs out there willing to take a gamble on him but why should we be in a rush to sell? He did well under Gary last season, which was not one of our best but with a number of decent signings coming in for next season he may be better off having another season in div 2. Another season with us with better support around him could see us with a much better player to either keep or move on. As has rightly been pointed out in other posts , whatever we get for him at this stage of his career will have to be spent on another striker/s which could be a bit af a gamble.
I fully agree with Alf's points.
thetonga
I agree with the point that it may not be the best time for Mo to leave but from the club’s point of view it is the right time for him to go. At present we have a player who is by far the most valuable playing asset the club has ever had. He is young, quick and can score goals hence why he is being valued at around the £1.5m mark.

The issue is if he doesn’t do it again next year and say scores 5-10 goals (not that I think he would) as defences are much more aware of him and mark him out of games. Or, worse still, he suffers a serious injury. In either case, there is no way that we would get anywhere near the current valuation. Also he is currently on a two year deal so come January or this time next year, other teams will use that to force the valuation down because we will have to sell or risk him leaving for nothing. Now is the optimum time to sell from a maximising revenue point of view.

I personally think that we shouldn’t stand in his way of playing at a higher level as Mo has earned it through a fantastic season in which he has carried the team at times. We should all be thankful for the brilliant season and great goal return he gave us but if a Championship club comes in then we should sell and all be rooting for him to step up to that level. That would give us a far greater amount of money to search for new players and greater squad depth than I can ever remember as a Cheltenham fan and personally I would prefer watching 11 very good players every week than 10 average players and 1 excellent player.
Robin
I am hearing rumours Pompey may come in for Mo now they have sold their star player for £5million.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lol Pompey.

Mo is staying here.
Lord Elpuz
Pains me enormously to say it, but Portsmouth would be a very good move for Mo, a big club, ambitions to relive glory days, and not too big a step up - which may guarantee starts for Mo at that level. But ... only if we can squeeze £1.5 million from them all upfront, and we would want a massive sell-on clause too.

And another positive - we need some concrete interest, so that we get a nice auction situation going on. It’s time for interested clubs to start talking cash. GJ holds all the trump cards and we won’t let our prized asset go for next to nothing.