stuff you Southgate

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
8 changes to England team for tonight but no Butland
Robin
Very disappointed that Pickford has been given the nod over Jack as to be honest I don't believe he's better. That said, huge respect to England our best start to a major tournament in living memory.
shevates
I will defend Southgate here. He made it fairly clear pickford was his number one keeper, and after winning our first two games and qualified for the next stage you would think Butland would play, but i feel Southgate feels Pickford has had very little to do and may need to be tested by a much tougher side in Belgium
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As per other footy section, a Cheltenham lad as captain at least. A dream in action for any primary school pupil in the Shire.
paperboy
shevates wrote:I will defend Southgate here. He made it fairly clear pickford was his number one keeper, and after winning our first two games and qualified for the next stage you would think Butland would play, but i feel Southgate feels Pickford has had very little to do and may need to be tested by a much tougher side in Belgium
Well said Steve.
I think he needed to play Pickford so that he played with diffent defenders in a match situation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pickford made his first save of the tournament tonight. Shows how little he had done and he needed game time.
theidlerich
The game was also notable for the lack of service to Vardy [a rough equivalent to Mo??] ; something that we have also failed to do last season!
Nesty
You could argue that should Pickford get injured then Butland would have had zero game time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:You could argue that should Pickford get injured then Butland would have had zero game time.
Yes but then where do you draw the line - would Pope have to play in case Butland gets injured too? And ask Heaton to be on standby in case all three get injured. Etc etc.
Nesty
Poor Jack, bench warming again in a totally meaningless game