Vital Lincoln City - League Two Season Preview 2018-19 (P1)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Vital Lincoln City
Vital Lincoln City - League Two Season Preview 2018-19 (Part One):
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/vit ... -part-one/
Si Robin
I think it's a fair review, although it's the first time I've seen getting transfer business done early as a negative. As a counter to it seldom working - it was the early business in 2015 that saw us win the Conference.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I think it's a fair review, although it's the first time I've seen getting transfer business done early as a negative. As a counter to it seldom working - it was the early business in 2015 that saw us win the Conference.
Indeed. If that’s the only negative this mob can come up with then we shouldn’t have anything to worry about!
Robin
Sorry but I have to disagree that is a fair review. It talks about budgetary constraints being a reason for high staff turnover, that's bizarre given we have a mid-table budget and only Winchester left of those who were wanted (and then for a massive signing on fee according to the rumours).

Also not sure I see us in the bottom eight this season, we've improved at the back a lot but agree the forwards are an unknown commodity. If I had to predict right now I'd say 12th is about right.
shevates
Robin wrote:Sorry but I have to disagree that is a fair review. It talks about budgetary constraints being a reason for high staff turnover, that's bizarre given we have a mid-table budget and only Winchester left of those who were wanted (and then for a massive signing on fee according to the rumours).

Also not sure I see us in the bottom eight this season, we've improved at the back a lot but agree the forwards are an unknown commodity. If I had to predict right now I'd say 12th is about right.
On paper our defence should and hopfully will be better than last season and in fairness that wouldnt be that difficult to acheive, but already we will miss out with husseys suspension for 4 games and possibly long if hes injured

Midfield i think could be a problem, we look slow in the middle, where will the goals come from ? Pell ,winchester, and dawson chipped in, but will Atangana and Tozer chip in ? History says no.

As for up front I havnt a clue an unknown attack force with very little experience, lets hope they gel, because we need goals from them without doubt. One thing they do have is enthusiasm, is that enough
Robin
I think the next couple of signings need to bring quality Shevates, I am with you there.
theidlerich
I find all current chat on our squad interesting, possibly a pointer for the next few games. However until I've seen the squad in action [Saturday] for the first time , and a couple of games after, only then would I be in a position to spout forth! So even my prediction will be guesswork.:). It will take me a month or two to even learn and recognise names and players.......help.
Shade
I don't think Atangana or Tozer will be there for goals or speed (although I did see Atangana say he was box-to-box last weekend which is more his game). It will be up to them to win the ball back and give it on to one of the much faster attackers wide or in front of them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Missing Pell and Winchester for their speed? LOL

Same way we missed Naylor’s height when he retired!
Shade
If Atangana stays fully fit for the season he will be one of the top midfielders in League 2.
shevates
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Missing Pell and Winchester for their speed? LOL

Same way we missed Naylor’s height when he retired!
Missing them for GOALS mainly, and winchester is faster than tozer and atangana. Will gladly have a bet that pell and winchester will score more than tozer and atangana ?
Shade
How many did Winchester score for us? 6. In 64 appearances. Ok, that was partly due to the different positions he was playing but if he wasn't scoring the last season and a half then we aren't going to be missing those goals.
shevates
[quote="Shade"]How many did Winchester score for us? 6. In 64 appearances. Ok, that was partly due to the different positions he was playing but if he wasn't scoring the last season and a half then we aren't going to s,

look into research on all aspects. Between Tozer and Atangana they have played a total of 391 games and between them scored 12 times a great return. Where as pell and winchester played a combined total of 456 games scoring 45
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:
Shade wrote:How many did Winchester score for us? 6. In 64 appearances. Ok, that was partly due to the different positions he was playing but if he wasn't scoring the last season and a half then we aren't going to s,

look into research on all aspects. Between Tozer and Atangana they have played a total of 391 games and between them scored 12 times a great return. Where as pell and winchester played a combined total of 456 games scoring 45
So a goal every 12.5 games for the former, and every ten games for the latter.

So approximately one goal per season in total more for the latter pairing.

Doubt we will miss one goal too much.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
shevates wrote:
Shade wrote:How many did Winchester score for us? 6. In 64 appearances. Ok, that was partly due to the different positions he was playing but if he wasn't scoring the last season and a half then we aren't going to s,

Also, if I remember correctly, when John Finnegan signed from Lincoln, his goal scoring record for them was pretty poor. Soon improved when he joined CTFC. A midfielder scoring record is very dependent on the specific role he has been requested to do.
shevates
Im sorry the facts stand out so highly in pell and winchesters favour
THECHOIRBOY
I said on another thread we need to find more goals from around the park this year. I think Dawson had six, Pell and winnie five and Boyle five

The midfield do need to step up a bit this year to support our strikers as its unlikely we will have a twenty plus striker!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Im sorry the facts stand out so highly in pell and winchesters favour
Your facts provided show Pell and Winchester score one goal per season more between them.

So in their favour but hardly significant. But that’s what the facts say.
Shade
But can you really compare Pell and Winchester to Tozer and Atangana? The former two were more creative midfielders but Tozer and Atangana I see as more defensive midfielders. Addei, Maddox, Smith and Broom would be the players more appropriate to compare them with. But, obviously they can't be compared as they haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:But can you really compare Pell and Winchester to Tozer and Atangana? The former two were more creative midfielders but Tozer and Atangana I see as more defensive midfielders. Addei, Maddox, Smith and Broom would be the players more appropriate to compare them with. But, obviously they can't be compared as they haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.
Spot on.
shevates
Shade wrote:But can you really compare Pell and Winchester to Tozer and Atangana? The former two were more creative midfielders but Tozer and Atangana I see as more defensive midfielders. Addei, Maddox, Smith and Broom would be the players more appropriate to compare them with. But, obviously they can't be compared as they haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet.
Cant argue that at all shade. But why are Tozer and Atangana both playing central ? Maddox will play left side and addei on the right possibly. Wide midfielders dont score to many hopfully they will create. As for Smith was hoping to see more of him. Of course we have Dawson, but does he feature in GJ plans ?
Finally league scoring on the four mentioned

Pell 272 games scored 31 goal every 8.8 games
Win 181 games scored 14 goal every 13 games
Atan 60 games scored 2 goal every 60 games
Toz 271 games scored 10 goal every 27.1 games
Shade
Fair enough but after last season I feel the emphasis, at least to start with, from GJ is on defence and not conceding anywhere near as many goals as last season, especially silly ones. If the boys in the middle are winning the ball and giving it to speedy and tricky young wide players that are feeding strikers that thrive on that then I'm sure we'll all be happy. Plus, I think both Tozer and Atangana may be given more of a chance to get forward this season if the other sits back, whereas they've both been previously played as primarily a deep-lying midfielder or anywhere across the back line, in Tozer's case. They may surprise us with the number of goals they contribute.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
shevates wrote:

Think your sums are a bit awry there RCS.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Very awry. I based my calcs on Atangana/Tozer having scored 32 goals! Rather than 12! Either a misread of the original information or a fat-finger error. Either way I ballsed it up with a bad error so ignore all I said. Apologies to Shevates for arguing and presenting inaccurate points.
Vital Lincoln City
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Piffle.
shevates
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Very awry. I based my calcs on Atangana/Tozer having scored 32 goals! Rather than 12! Either a misread of the original information or a fat-finger error. Either way I ballsed it up with a bad error so ignore all I said. Apologies to Shevates for arguing and presenting inaccurate points.
No probs Sam
shevates
Atangana and Tozer were awful individualy and even more so as a partnership, cumbersome and at times cluless, passing was dire. We cant play with those two in the centre. After 17 minutes of the game we had to change formation because we were thst bad in midfield. Surely in pre season games GJ should notice they are weak. It really is a concern I feel
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Atangana and Tozer were awful individualy and even more so as a partnership, cumbersome and at times cluless, passing was dire. We cant play with those two in the centre. After 17 minutes of the game we had to change formation because we were thst bad in midfield. Surely in pre season games GJ should notice they are weak. It really is a concern I feel
Agree they shouldn’t be playing together. Should be competing for the same role alongside a creator.
Robin
I'd say they would be fine in a three but not together in a two, we missed a ball player in the first half and looked so much better with Maddox in there and Dawson/KLK out wide.