Managers records (FL)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
Hi,

Does anyone have the records of previous football league managers for CTFC?

I’d be interested to see how GJ compares to previous.
Nesty
win %ages

Yates 35.8
Allen 21.3
Ward 36.7
Gould 25.6
COTTERILL 46.2
GJ 38.7
Downing 28%
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnson the second best then.

From two seasons.

I would rank him third as Ward is not far behind but with a season at a higher level as well.

I suppose Yates is the threshold. Four full seasons, five in total. Sacked for too many stale boring bottom third seasons and just under 36% win record. So far Gary is performing slightly better at almost 39% but without the two play-off seasons Yates achieved.

10-15 games is enough to see how this season is shaping up. That win rate needs to be up to 40% in my view. If it drops to Yates’ level that is the indicator for immediate change.
Si Robin
Does Johnson's record include the Conference season?

Where was Graham Allner, Paul Buckle and Russell Milton's records? Or do they not count as they were too short stays?
dedwardp
Nesty wrote:win %ages

Yates 35.8
Allen 21.3
Ward 36.7
Gould 25.6
COTTERILL 46.2
GJ 38.7
Downing 28%
Football League percentage as per the question is 26% for Gary Johnson.

1 win from 7 in 2014/15
12 from 46 in 2016/17
13 from 46 in 2017/18
0 from 1 in 2018/19

26 wins from 100 games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
dedwardp wrote:
Nesty wrote:win %ages

Yates 35.8
Allen 21.3
Ward 36.7
Gould 25.6
COTTERILL 46.2
GJ 38.7
Downing 28%
Football League percentage as per the question is 26% for Gary Johnson.

1 win from 7 in 2014/15
12 from 46 in 2016/17
13 from 46 in 2017/18
0 from 1 in 2018/19

26 wins from 100 games.
Thanks for clarification. That is truly dire.

13 wins is what we should be seeing just from home matches, let alone all 46 games. Thirteen home wins a season works at an average of 3.8 home wins per 5 home games.

Home wins and goals sell tickets and pay bills, and we are already on the back foot. Three or four home wins in next four home matches required.
hand_shandy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Johnson the second best then..
Not quite.
Third worst (currently) - just above the Chuckle Brothers.
Del Boy
Points per game

Yates 1.36 which equates to 62pts for a season.
Johnson 1.05 which would be 48.3pts per season.

It's struck me yesterday was Johnson's 100th league game. His record is 26 wins 27 draws 47 defeats.

But, of course, we couldn't dream of getting anyone better.

His supporters continually said last year we were building for this season. It couldn't have gone too well because he's already signed more than a dozen players and eight of them made their debut yesterday.

There's no point getting rid of him any time soon as the new manager would be stuck with all his signings. Hope they come off but after two desperate seasons I'm not particularly optimistic.
Robin
Yes Del and absolutely nobody seems to suggest giving him a new deal unless there is a noticeable improvement yet you want him sacked after the first game right?
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Yes Del and absolutely nobody seems to suggest giving him a new deal unless there is a noticeable improvement yet you want him sacked after the first game right?
As stated above "There's no point getting rid of him any time soon as the new manager would be stuck with all his signings. Hope they come off but after two desperate seasons I'm not particularly optimistic."

How you conclude "I want him sacked after the first game" from that I'm unsure. I would have said goodbye at the end of last season before he was allowed to spend all this cash on new players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
hand_shandy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Johnson the second best then..
Not quite.
Third worst (currently) - just above the Chuckle Brothers.
See my later post after someone provided correct data.
drgm
Del Boy wrote:
Robin wrote:Yes Del and absolutely nobody seems to suggest giving him a new deal unless there is a noticeable improvement yet you want him sacked after the first game right?
As stated above "There's no point getting rid of him any time soon as the new manager would be stuck with all his signings. Hope they come off but after two desperate seasons I'm not particularly optimistic."

How you conclude "I want him sacked after the first game" from that I'm unsure. I would have said goodbye at the end of last season before he was allowed to spend all this cash on new players.
Yes. We should have gone for Grant McCann. Gary's fire has gone out. He's been handing out two year deals to most of these players as well. I hope this works out or we'll have a load of players we cant get rid of.
Ihearye
drgm wrote:
Del Boy wrote:

Yes. We should have gone for Grant McCann. Gary's fire has gone out. He's been handing out two year deals to most of these players as well. I hope this works out or we'll have a load of players we cant get rid of.
and maybe nobody wants