National League target

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Confirmed, but bids rejected: http://bit.ly/BidRejectedCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
At 28, you'd think the player would want yo get into the League asap and not gamble on Fylde getting promotion. They're obviously holding out for more as they know we've got some money to spend after Mo's move, and them making it public pretty much proves that, imo.
shevates
Glad were looking for a striker and prepared to pay a decent fee, well done
Robin
The article says we offered a disrespectful £25,000 and have upped it since, then we've gone up to £150,000!! I hope we can make this happen but I'd guess it's unlikely at this moment and now they've gone public.
Horteng
They know we’ve got a few bob in the bank so they won’t give him away
Ihearye
We don't need non league on today's showing, we need someone with a bit of guile and experience
horlickfanclub
...............or someone called George Lloyd to tap a few in before he gets exiled.
Ladyrobin
I am not sure if I have the correct player, ex Man U, played at Fleetwood, Stockport etc.
But a little concerned, looking at his history he does not appear to have ever commanded any large fee, he has been on loans etc.
So perhaps someone can tell me why suddenly he has become so special that we may break our club record to get him in our team.
Please will those who know him let me know his achievements.
Thanks.
andgarod
Lets put this into context
Would we have offered £150 K for Holman
or
Would we have offered £150K for Wrighty 2 seasons ago

Move on
Robin
Two seasons ago I doubt we would have sold Holman for that amount (if the transfer window was open when he was banging in the goals).
paperboy
....clubs might not want to sell players but if they want to go they usually do.

In this instance the player probably wants to go and Fylde are putting it out there as they hope to get a better offer. Rowe would probably prefer a club nearer to his roots also.

Going off topic I imagine Mo can't believe the size of his pay packet now. From a few hundred when he started with us to ten times that amount now.
Tbh the reason his deal didn't get done immediately is that he was their second choice target after Peterborough's Jack Marriott who is now getting nearly 20k per week at Derby.
Robin
Are Derby really paying someone £20,000 a week?!! My understanding was that they don't have the cash other top Championship sides do so I'm surprised by that amounted especially as the deal was £2.75million to bring him there.

Regarding Rowe, reading between the lines I'd imagine we have some level of OK from the agent that the player wants to come here and it's the Flyde chairman trying to force the price up knowing he's probably leaving. Going public is always a sign they are trying to push the price up. Apparently Tranmere had a £60k bid turned down this summer so if we've really bid £150,000 we've been more than reasonable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Are Derby really paying someone £20,000 a week?!! My understanding was that they don't have the cash other top Championship sides do so I'm surprised by that amounted especially as the deal was £2.75million to bring him there.

Regarding Rowe, reading between the lines I'd imagine we have some level of OK from the agent that the player wants to come here and it's the Flyde chairman trying to force the price up knowing he's probably leaving. Going public is always a sign they are trying to push the price up. Apparently Tranmere had a £60k bid turned down this summer so if we've really bid £150,000 we've been more than reasonable.
They must be playing Lampard a fair whack.
shevates
Like the title
NATIONAL LEAGUE target it could well be ours
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I do not believe for a moment we will go down with Gary in charge; that is almost a guarantee.

The question is whether we will a) get the minimum 10+ home wins and b) challenge for promotion.
Robin
Fully agree, we are in no danger of the drop from what I can see. On the flipside a significant improvement on last season is a must.
everyman
Robin wrote:Fully agree, we are in no danger of the drop from what I can see. On the flipside a significant improvement on last season is a must.
Lowest gate in league 2,poor squad,we as a club are non-league,only 2,500 care anyway,and i am one but realistic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Robin wrote:Fully agree, we are in no danger of the drop from what I can see. On the flipside a significant improvement on last season is a must.
Lowest gate in league 2,poor squad,we as a club are non-league,only 2,500 care anyway,and i am one but realistic.
Unless something changes on and off the pitch, we aren’t going to be anything more than a Morecambe/ Barnet style club where surviving in L2 is the target.
CTFC03
if you continue to finish down in the bottom 8 or so you tend to get sucked in towards the trap door and end up going, it happened before and it's happened to other sides, some of them haven't even made it back.
drgm
Up until now we've never been a Morecambe/Barnet type of club trying to survive on low gates.
Most of the time our attendances have been about average for this division

You have to ask yourself why crowds are falling back.
Robin
everyman wrote:
The attendance was shocking but that's two years of disappointing football and poor marketing to blame for that. Not to mention all the small sides were away from home (Crawley, Morecambe, Macclesfield, FGR etc.) and Stevenage benefitted from a huge away following whilst Crawley brought only a bus load.
Robin
drgm wrote:Up until now we've never been a Morecambe/Barnet type of club trying to survive on low gates.
Most of the time our attendances have been about average for this division

You have to ask yourself why crowds are falling back.

Crowds are falling because we've had about 5 shocking seasons out of the last six. Not too mention I feel our marketing is way behind other clubs - otherwise why are our gates so small in comparison to similar clubs.
Ihearye
very simple. I want a team I can identify with, I want a team I have built up a relationship with over a number of years, If that be in the conference or L1 or L2 so be it. Just give me a team I believe in. I am weary of turning up every august and thinking whi the **** is that. Give us some pride back, some passion back, some hope back, some heart back, some balls back
ctfc-fan
It’s also summer holidays and a lot of people are away.
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote:It’s also summer holidays and a lot of people are away.
This only seems to happen in Gloucestershire because pretty much every team up and down the country record higher than average attendances for the first home game of the season.
Robin
Ihearye wrote:very simple. I want a team I can identify with, I want a team I have built up a relationship with over a number of years, If that be in the conference or L1 or L2 so be it. Just give me a team I believe in. I am weary of turning up every august and thinking whi the **** is that. Give us some pride back, some passion back, some hope back, some heart back, some balls back

Did you in anyway see a lack of effort out there yesterday? I want to get back into league one and a manager/team to make me believe that is possible however we don't all get what we want.
asl
Robin wrote:that's two years of disappointing football
Which Saturday did nothing whatsoever to alleviate. As someone who doesn't have a season ticket, I tend to pick and choose when I go. I don't expect to win every game - but I do not expect my team to look distinctly second best to very-average opposition again and again and again.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
Ihearye wrote:very simple. I want a team I can identify with, I want a team I have built up a relationship with over a number of years, If that be in the conference or L1 or L2 so be it. Just give me a team I believe in. I am weary of turning up every august and thinking whi the **** is that. Give us some pride back, some passion back, some hope back, some heart back, some balls back

Did you in anyway see a lack of effort out there yesterday? I want to get back into league one and a manager/team to make me believe that is possible however we don't all get what we want.
jaysus Robin headless chickens have effort going for them. Is that what you pay for every week ? effort but no sign of an end result? It's not the players fault, we went the non league route. If that pays off fair pkay to GJ good shout. If it doesn't....... yet another wated summer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Robin wrote:

jaysus Robin headless chickens have effort going for them. Is that what you pay for every week ? effort but no sign of an end result? It's not the players fault, we went the non league route. If that pays off fair pkay to GJ good shout. If it doesn't....... yet another wated summer
Was any other route an affordable or viable option?
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

jaysus Robin headless chickens have effort going for them. Is that what you pay for every week ? effort but no sign of an end result? It's not the players fault, we went the non league route. If that pays off fair pkay to GJ good shout. If it doesn't....... yet another wated summer[/quote]

Was any other route an affordable or viable option?[/quote]

If that is what our budget is then so be it. If it is the case then blame either lands on Board who don't put up the money, or manager, who need sto raid the coffers every summer. Sgain I go back to your othe rpost, how has Harry K builkt a team in a year that makes us look non leagure and on reportedly less money. Tired of the retorts on here ' what would you do'. I am not paid a good wage to be a football manager, We have one person at CTFC who buys players, picks players on a Saturday, trains players etc etc and it sure isn't me
Si Robin
Yet you seem to know so much more than him...
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:Yet you seem to know so much more than him...
Don't know how you come to that conclusion, every chance he knows the team is shyte, every chance he knows he has wasted 3 summers. All up when you can't have an opinion without running it past you first.
Answer me this then, how many of the team from 3 years ago are here ?
How many of the team from 2 years ago are here ?
How many of the team from last year are here?
Don't worry, I won't bite your head of for answering, as it doesn't mean you know more than GJ. But then again, I am guessing its not your job to recruit
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Confused, who knows the Crawley situation.

Maybe they don’t have a smaller budget. Maybe being so close to London they have a bigger pool of players who don’t need to travel or relocate so can pay lower wages than what we have to. Maybe Kewell has friends/agents from his playing days. Maybe it is just how things pan out and his recent signings worked out and ours didn’t for whatever reason (like Penn working out but Taylor not for Yates when the track record and theory suggested Richards was the better player).

Importantly, companies house show Crawley recording a loss of around £272,000 on turnover of over £2.8million, whereas we made a slight profit. I am sure we could get better players if we ran up such debt, but that isn’t the Cheltenham Town way.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Yet you seem to know so much more than him...
Don't know how you come to that conclusion, every chance he knows the team is shyte, every chance he knows he has wasted 3 summers. All up when you can't have an opinion without running it past you first.
Answer me this then, how many of the team from 3 years ago are here ?
How many of the team from 2 years ago are here ?
How many of the team from last year are here?
Don't worry, I won't bite your head of for answering, as it doesn't mean you know more than GJ. But then again, I am guessing its not your job to recruit
From 3 years ago - 1 - Rhys Lovett
From 2 years ago - 1 - Rhys Lovett (although Matt Bower may have been in the squad, I'm not certain)
From last year - 8 - Scott Flinders, Rhys Lovett, Nigel Atangana, Kevin Dawson, Matt Bower, George Lloyd, Will Boyle and Jordon Forster.

Your main points appear to be that we've lost to a team who spent less than us (with no evidence of that fact) and we've signed loads of non-league players. From what I can see the only players we have signed from non-league clubs are Manny Duku and Alex Addai.

In fact, what we have done is recruit a lot of experience for a change and supplemented it with youngsters with a decent pedigree. Lets look at said signings:

Johnny Mullins - from Luton - 40 games in the last two seasons in League 2 - the previous 4 seasons he made 119 with Oxford. In the last 5 years has twice been promoted from this division.

Chris Hussey - from Sheffield Utd - 200 Football League appearances in the last 10 years - spent last season at Swindon.

Sean Long - from Lincoln City - Made 31 appearances for Lincoln in one of their most successful periods in their history, was offered a new deal there as well.

Ben Tozer - from Newport County - 265 Football League appearances, has never played in non-league, was offered a new deal at Newport.

Liam McAlinden - from Exeter City - 117 Football League appearances, including 61 in the last two seasons for Exeter, both of which led to playoff final appearances.

Connor Thomas - from some Indian team (played alongside Robbie Keane) - 135 Football League appearances - spent last season in India and is still only 24.

That is a lot of experience brought in, and it has been backed up by the following:

Thomas Smith - from Swindon - 20 years old, made about a dozen appearances for Swindon.

Ryan Broom - from Bristol Rovers - 21 years old, made 9 sub appearances for Rovers, but have seen a lot of their fans disappointed that he was let go.

Josh Debayo - from Leicester City - Has never played anything other than youth or reserve football, but has come through a great academy at Southampton, and was in the Leicester U23 team.

Jacob Maddox - loan from Chelsea - 19 years old - Has won multiple youth FA Cups with Chelsea and is a very exciting prospect

Kalvin Lumbombo Kalala - from Savona in Italy - Very raw, still only 20 years old, looked exciting on Saturday.

This leaves the two non-league players mentioned earlier in Alex Addai and Manny Duku. It doesn't appear to me that we have tried to go down the non-league route, in fact, it appears that GJ has done the one thing that we all wanted him to do and that was get in some real Football League experience.

Now, you can question the quality of that experience, or even how it is utilised, but I don't think you can say the team has been built on non-league foundations.
Robin
Some of the criticism at the moment is way over the top. I'd argue we've had quite a good summer in terms of recruitment, yes we still need 1-2 with genuine quality probbably a ball playing midfielder and a top striker but the rest all look good or promising at least. The fault on Saturday for me at least was more the set-up of the team rather than individual performances.

Defensively we looked fine despite missing half our first choice back four also worth noting.