George Lloyd

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
He should be given a chance but is more likely to be shipped out on loan to be replaced by a Conference striker. I fancy Lloyd would have scored while the others were miskicking Get your blinkers off Mr Johnson.
shevates
I felt hes done enough to impress to merit a place on the bench. Hes better than some weve got
Robin
Who would you replace to bring Lloyd in? McAlindon is probably the one but we won't get the play offs with Lloyd up top I'm afraid.
Horteng
Robin wrote:Who would you replace to bring Lloyd in? McAlindon is probably the one but we won't get the play offs with Lloyd up top I'm afraid.
With or without George up top we ain’t getting to the play offs robin

Time to take off the rose tinted glasses and look at the real picture
Robin
The target this season is the play offs Horteng as stated by the manager and I think the new chairman. In my opinion I don't believe that's realistic but I do believe we will improve on last years disappointing finish.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:The target this season is the play offs Horteng as stated by the manager and I think the new chairman. In my opinion I don't believe that's realistic but I do believe we will improve on last years disappointing finish.
It would be hard not to but with this fella in charge anything is possible. If we do worse we're likely to go down at that's a long, long way from impossible.

It's a hell of a good job Eisa came off in such spectacular style last season. If he hadn't we'd have gone down - no doubt. That doesn't say much for the rest of the players Johnson recruited.

Without Eisa and Winchester - our best midfielder allbeit mostly played out of position - we need plenty of these new players to be good. History tells us that's unlikely.
everyman
Robin wrote:Who would you replace to bring Lloyd in? McAlindon is probably the one but we won't get the play offs with Lloyd up top I'm afraid.
Best option wide midfield,pace,energy,tracks back and scored 50+ goals as a teenager,will do a job for a coach who believes in him.
Ihearye
As much as I would love to be proven wrong. I think any talk of a playoff position is a pipedream unless there is a vast improvement. There is a reason why we have to rebuild every summer. We won the conference and found out our champions were not good enough for L2, yet we continue to raid non league to get us to L1. Go figure
I-Love-CTFC
It's a joke that Lloyd wasn't even on the bench. Another talented youngster being held back because of loan signings being brought in.
Robin
I-Love-CTFC wrote:It's a joke that Lloyd wasn't even on the bench. Another talented youngster being held back because of loan signings being brought in.
How many loanees do we have that play in his position :o :o :o
shevates
Robin wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:It's a joke that Lloyd wasn't even on the bench. Another talented youngster being held back because of loan signings being brought in.
How many loanees do we have that play in his position :o :o :o
Wish they were loanees we could get shot off them possibly. Llyod has scored 2 goals in 7 i believe and 3 of those he came of the bench. Not a bad effort merits a bench place
Robin
Yes, I've no issue with George being on the bench he looks like a talent who could make it on the pro-game but you can't blame loanees for his absence. If anything I don't understand why we sign McAlindon.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Yes, I've no issue with George being on the bench he looks like a talent who could make it on the pro-game but you can't blame loanees for his absence. If anything I don't understand why we sign McAlindon.
and on top of that makes the saturday 11
THECHOIRBOY
My surprise at no Lloyd on the bench was with seven subs you almost always have two strikers on bench and that left us with one - who has been nursing a niggle so we are told

I also think GJ shoots himself in the foot with no young home grown players on the bench. Realistically you know the four or so players our substitutions will come from so why not give experience to younger players.

Whilst we all want results, some would compromise slightly if we could see it as a development season for some of our younger players we have brought through the ranks.
cheltsaxon
Why can't people just understand George Lloyd IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH yet?!?!?! So frustrating we keep calling for the youth manlike Gary has got something against them?! If he was good enough he would be playing it's pretty simple! Remember Hanks Kotwica Williams etc everyone kept banging on about what level are they plying their trade in now???
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheltsaxon wrote:Why can't people just understand George Lloyd IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH yet?!?!?! So frustrating we keep calling for the youth manlike Gary has got something against them?! If he was good enough he would be playing it's pretty simple! Remember Hanks Kotwica Williams etc everyone kept banging on about what level are they plying their trade in now???
Looked good enough when scoring two goals in seven Football League games last season.

Which is two more Football League goals than Duku, Addai and Kalala combined.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
cheltsaxon wrote:Why can't people just understand George Lloyd IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH yet?!?!?! So frustrating we keep calling for the youth manlike Gary has got something against them?! If he was good enough he would be playing it's pretty simple! Remember Hanks Kotwica Williams etc everyone kept banging on about what level are they plying their trade in now???
Looked good enough when scoring two goals in seven Football League games last season.

That's a fair point. Lloyd clearly needs game-time experience (like Mo) to help fulfil his potential, but it's already obvious that he can score goals at this level because he scored two in precious few games at the end of last season. I'm sure he assisted at least one other goal as well. He is young and a bit raw, but then so are the likes of Duku, Addai and Kalala.
Si Robin

A bit harsh given a) they've all only played 1 league game and not 7, and b) Addai is a winger so goals are not necessarily expected from him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:

A bit harsh given a) they've all only played 1 league game and not 7, and b) Addai is a winger so goals are not necessarily expected from him.
Just making the point we are taking the risk of playing players with no league experience whilst a player with more league experience is not even in the squad.
Robin
I'll stick my neck out and say whilst I rate George that Kalala looks the superior player and deserves to be ahead of him in the order. I feel with the current players we have we are best to play either 5-3-2 (wing backs) or 4-3-3. In those formations George could play off a main striker only in a 4-3-3 and he would be competing with McAlindon, Kalala, and Dawson with Rowe(assuming he signs)/Duku as the pivot.
Shade
I agree with the 5-3-2 with wing-backs. It feels like GJ has recruited specifically for that formation this summer, but then has started the season 4-4-2 and 4-3-3. As for George Lloyd, he'll get his chance again. Especially if the guys brought in don't start scoring pretty soon.
Robin
4-4-2 doesn't really suit the majority of players in my opinion. Yes we have wingers now but it's unbalancing central midfield. Either we drop one of Tozer or Nige (which I am against) or we have to play three in the centre (ideally not Thomas).
Shade
Well, Tozer and Nige with Maddox ahead would be the obvious choice I'd have thought.
paperboy
...yes agree.
When Maddox played against Walsall he played on the left and I thought he seemed a like for like replacement for Sellars,not as graceful but tougher and can tackle back.
When he went to a central role he played more like Joe Morrell, always getting on the ball and looking to make things happen.- promising recruit and in the team ahead of Thomas who has yet to make an impact.
plymrob
Start scoring pretty soon.... One game in... please get a grip. Please just back off and let's see. We've played one game. What is up with you guys? Already calling players too... supporters?

Put your self in the new guys shoes... Please show some support - if only until game two. Slim chance... Please remember where we have come from and where we are. OK G.J. was pushed out by Yeovil... and, just need to check...how are they doing?