National League target

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Nesty wrote:panic buy - time is running out, I hope GJ has a plan B / C / D oh wait we are already on Plan E
To be fair Jon Palmer has stated this was the number one target when Mo was sold so we are still on plan A but that could change during hte next two days.
Nesty
dont forget we had the Pell money and as I have often stated we needed a striker or two even before Mo was sold
Robin
Yeah but I feel we didn't have the cash for a reasonable fee until after Mo was sold.
Alf
[quote="Robin"]Not sure I agree Alf, we would have been talking with the agent so will likely know his wage demands and he will know roughly what we are prepared to offer. Don't get me wrong he's likely coming in as our top earner but I'd be amazed if he's getting anymore than £2k per week as we have an overall wage structure and he cannot be allowed to earn way more than everyone else.

£175k is huge money in league two this would likely be the highest fee paid by any league two side this summer.[/quote

We are talking a decent striker here Robin and a good striker always carries a bit more value. Would City have paid what they did for Mo if he’d been a full back? I agree about the wages and we need to maintain our wage structure. We’ve just made (allegedly) 1.5 million for an unproven young striker so I don’t think 175k is a massive amount for a more proven but slightly older replacement.
Robin
I agree £175k is large but probably realistic, I wouldn't want it to creep much higher however.
paperboy
Robin wrote:I agree £175k is large but probably realistic, I wouldn't want it to creep much higher however.
Yes agree Robin.
Akinde who is proven at this level and the same age went to Lincoln for less.
He did have only one year left on his contract though and could have had a release clause.
Andy
Guess you just can’t get away with 30k and a friendly offers nowadays. :) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andy wrote:Guess you just can’t get away with 30k and a friendly offers nowadays. :) :)

Indeed not. You have to be related to the selling club’s manager to get a cheap under-priced signing these days.
paperboy
...Rowe playing against Wrexham tonight as is Manny Smith and ex Robin Luke Summerfield for the hosts.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Andy wrote:Guess you just can’t get away with 30k and a friendly offers nowadays. :) :)

Indeed not. You have to be related to the selling club’s manager to get a cheap under-priced signing these days.
If, as you claim,you know the selling price, please enlighten us all.
Robin
paperboy wrote:...Rowe playing against Wrexham tonight as is Manny Smith and ex Robin Luke Summerfield for the hosts.

Uff I think we have to take from that both deals are unlikely but not impossible at this point. I find it strange either side would risk players when a decent fee is involved.
Si Robin
Villa did with Jack Grealish last night and he's practically out of the door there - he's their player and he's contracted to play for them, I think sometimes people look to read too much into things.
Artemis
I agree. Fylde nor Villa want to sell, so why would they be forced to not play one of their best players because another club want to buy them
Artemis
Quite a Robins connection at the Racecourse tonight.

Russell Griffiths is on the bench for Fylde. Rob Lainton plays for Wrexham.
asl
Artemis wrote:Russell Griffiths is on the bench for Fylde. Rob Lainton plays for Wrexham.
They must've made a massive impact cos I've no idea who either of them are...
asl
Hang on...Griffiths was the young keeper we had? Welsh u21 or summat?
Robin
Yeah the panic signing we made when Dillon didn't come our first season back in the league.
London Exile
Griffiths was at Motherwell last season wasn't he?
Si Robin
Yeah, spent the season as Trevor Carson's understudy.

Luke Summerfield was also in the Wrexham starting XI tonight.
paperboy
....at least Rowe didn't score tonight so if we are not looking elsewhere his value hasn't increased.
Maybe he's been given an improved contract so he'll happily stay now anyway. :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Rowe had the hunger and desire that is required of CTFC strikers he would have handed in a transfer request before tonight’s match. The fact it appears he hasn’t suggests to me he does not have the right attitude to be splashing out record fees for.
Robin
He's already the highest paid player at Flyde not sure he is chasing a new contract personally. It's come out he wants to the move as he should do if he has ambition but if he goes about it the right way asking for a transfer is not the way.
Artemis
Rob Lainton was the keeper signed on loan from Bury for one game at Adams Park when Scott Brown couldn't play against his parent club.
Ihearye
Lord E - so the bookies were commenting on the match last Saturday or just their guess over 46 games? If not the former, then your post has little to do with anytjing I said. I.E. :' built a team that made us look non league, because the truth was he did and we did. Despite what the bookies forecast is
paperboy
Robin wrote:He's already the highest paid player at Flyde not sure he is chasing a new contract personally. It's come out he wants to the move as he should do if he has ambition but if he goes about it the right way asking for a transfer is not the way.
I may be over- thinking this ,but if he has an astute agent it could be a strategy to improve the terms of his contract at Fylde.
Robin
We've definitely been in those situations before most notably when we bid for Marc Richards who was at Port Vale, we activated his release clause and Vale then offered him a new contract. However I would hope this is different because he's already their highest player and we are offering him the chance to move into the professional leagues, something if this move doesn't happen it may never come that alone will be a big pull.
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote:Lord E - so the bookies were commenting on the match last Saturday or just their guess over 46 games? If not the former, then your post has little to do with anytjing I said. I.E. :' built a team that made us look non league, because the truth was he did and we did. Despite what the bookies forecast is
I was merely pointing out, my fine fellow, that the bookies, who are seldom wrong as that’s how they make their money, are stating what they believe will occur over the whole season - therefore my post has everything to do with what you said. You have made your assessment based on one match - so, in my view, that’s an over-reaction, whereas the bookies view is that both sides will be separated by only 5 places, and that Cheltenham will not be relegated, thus making both teams League two ‘standard’ for the season. Time will tell of course, but for you to offer criticism of the bookies view over the course of a season, compared to your own ability to predict a season’s outcome after one game, makes me wonder whether you perhaps missed your vocation in life? ;)
Nesty
and so we go to the wire............
Robin
Surely we will see at least one new face tomorrow, just hope it's not a complete panic purchase.
paperboy
Yes, a little surprised that the one or two loaners spoken of have not materialized yet.
Robin
Loans can still go through until end of the month so think that's the fall back option if we cannot sign Rowe.
Lord Elpuz
According to “EFL Sources” Twitter Page:

https://twitter.com/elsources/status/10 ... 16672?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Danny Rowe due for a medical at CTFC on Thursday, after agreeing personal terms).

Same account is saying Doidge to stay at FGR.
Robin
Really hope that is true, anyone heard anything regarding the defender? I must say I know nothing at all.
Andy
4.59 pm: "We will go with what we have got...and the loan window doesn't shut until the end of the month anyway so there may still be more in by then..."
Robin
Andy wrote:4.59 pm: "We will go with what we have got...and the loan window doesn't shut until the end of the month anyway so there may still be more in by then..."
If that happens I can see GJ and the board coming in for some major frustration from the fans. Clearly can only sign who we can and should not panic but it would be a huge let down if nobody signs.