How long?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Obvious the first game of 46 so no need for any sort of over reaction. However, how long do you think it will take the squad to gel and reaching a point where they can be properly judged 10 games? How many games before a call is made on the manager, and what would you criteria be after those games?
Ihearye
I do take my end at this 'over reaction' comment (not on your post), as if it is some kind of questioning over people's support of teh tem or of their understanding of football.
All I have read on here is comments on yesterday's game, I would defy anyone to say we were not poor. Nobody has said we will be poor in 45 games time, but yesterday we were poor. To attempt to dilute that or criticise people for saying that, is laughable. If we had not had two woeful seasons there would be no need to have to trot out teh annual 'they have to gel' excuse. We would have a team that knew each other already. Obvious from yesterday is that we do not have one single leader in the team, I saw not one person put their hand up to take control and fix things and that includes the manager. This, is what worries me when we say we are on the non league hunt again. Yes, could can pick the infrequent striker from non league, who has proven himself by putting in a lot of goals at whatever level they are at. What it seems harder to get is a few battle hardened nonleague men who can take a league game by the scruff of the neck and get the team moving.
As for your question - As far back as I can remember teh 10 game line has been touted, quickly to be replaced by rebuild in January, followed on by we will be safe. If being 'safe' in entertainment, guess that's your thing.
criteria ? Who knows, think I would answer that with another question - how come Harry Kewell has built a team who gave us the round around, on allegedly less money and in a shorter time? Discuss
shevates
Ihearye wrote:I do take my end at this 'over reaction' comment (not on your post), as if it is some kind of questioning over people's support of teh tem or of their understanding of football.
All I have read on here is comments on yesterday's game, I would defy anyone to say we were not poor. Nobody has said we will be poor in 45 games time, but yesterday we were poor. To attempt to dilute that or criticise people for saying that, is laughable. If we had not had two woeful seasons there would be no need to have to trot out teh annual 'they have to gel' excuse. We would have a team that knew each other already. Obvious from yesterday is that we do not have one single leader in the team, I saw not one person put their hand up to take control and fix things and that includes the manager. This, is what worries me when we say we are on the non league hunt again. Yes, could can pick the infrequent striker from non league, who has proven himself by putting in a lot of goals at whatever level they are at. What it seems harder to get is a few battle hardened nonleague men who can take a league game by the scruff of the neck and get the team moving.
As for your question - As far back as I can remember teh 10 game line has been touted, quickly to be replaced by rebuild in January, followed on by we will be safe. If being 'safe' in entertainment, guess that's your thing.
criteria ? Who knows, think I would answer that with another question - how come Harry Kewell has built a team who gave us the round around, on allegedly less money and in a shorter time? Discuss
What a spot on observation of our situation a great evaluation of our plight. Weve had 10 pre season games and behind closed door games and a league game, and we looked on Saturday if they had all met for the first time for a sunday park kick around. We cant afford to start to gel after 10 games, we should be gelling now even if were losing, but we looked a shambles
Robin
It's simple in my eyes there needs to be a noticeable improvement this season for GJ to retain his job, that's the bottom line. We absolutely should not be anywhere near the bottom 6-8 this season however the league doesn't really take shape until around ten games so he gets that long regardless in my eyes.
silverrobin
Wasn't able to attend match yesterday as I have just spent few days in hospital. Wasn't impressed against B'ham City though.

When asking the question 'how long' my thoughts turned more to how long before we replace a Manager who seems to have lost the plot??

Gary will always be remembered fondly for guiding us back into League 2 at the first attempt but, the last two seasons have not been good and changing virtually the whole squad during each close season, clearly isn't the answer.

I think that unless there is a measureable improvement over say the next 10 games, then Gary needs to be handed his P45.

I saddens me to say so but, in this instance, CTFC's future in Division 2 definitely outweighs any consideration towards loyalty for GJ.
Alf
Have to agree with these comments. We just don’t look organised and what tactics we may have just don’t appear to work. I don’t blame the players. They don’t appear to have any belief in what they’re being asked to do.
Nesty
silverrobin wrote:Wasn't able to attend match yesterday as I have just spent few days in hospital. Wasn't impressed against B'ham City though.

When asking the question 'how long' my thoughts turned more to how long before we replace a Manager who seems to have lost the plot??

Gary will always be remembered fondly for guiding us back into League 2 at the first attempt but, the last two seasons have not been good and changing virtually the whole squad during each close season, clearly isn't the answer.

I think that unless there is a measureable improvement over say the next 10 games, then Gary needs to be handed his P45.

I saddens me to say so but, in this instance, CTFC's future in Division 2 definitely outweighs any consideration towards loyalty for GJ.
one game in and already people have lost faith in GJ. ........ How long will depend on finances . how long will Mo's transfer money be used to shore up falling attendance figures? but hey chaps yesterday was just a blip. Gary will sort out the right back position just like he did last season.......
THECHOIRBOY
I guess we will learn a lot about our chairman in the coming weeks. Whilst Baker was loyal to managers he generally did get shot once there was a lot of vocal dissent to the manager (and by that I mean across whole ground and not a smaller minority of louder people)

Back to the question and less than ten points from ten games and he's in big big trouble and somewhere around13-14 I still think there will be issues, which for what it's worth I can't see us getting much more than.

Fifteen plus and he buys himself time
CTFC03
if he loses the next two league games then he should be under pressure.
Robin
Seriously sack the manager after 3 games and after the transfer window has closed?!
CTFC03
it will solely depend on how the team is set up, if we start to play well but are getting unlucky then stick at it but if we are getting thrashed then we will need to look at making a change, we cannot and must not go down and if that means changing the manager early then so be it. Look at the results last season, without Eisa we would have gone down.
Alf
I always thought pre season friendlies were for sorting out your best team and having a look at players. I appreciate there were a couple of late additions but the basis of the team should have been taking shape.
Robin
CTFC03 wrote:it will solely depend on how the team is set up, if we start to play well but are getting unlucky then stick at it but if we are getting thrashed then we will need to look at making a change, we cannot and must not go down and if that means changing the manager early then so be it. Look at the results last season, without Eisa we would have gone down.
I'm sorry but I genuinely don't believe we are in any realistic relegation danger neither were we last season (without Grimes/Taylor Moore we would very likely have been in or around the play offs. I also make it clear that if we are in the bottom eight for a sustained period of time GJ should resign/be sacked because we are underachieving.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:I guess we will learn a lot about our chairman in the coming weeks. Whilst Baker was loyal to managers he generally did get shot once there was a lot of vocal dissent to the manager (and by that I mean across whole ground and not a smaller minority of louder people)

Back to the question and less than ten points from ten games and he's in big big trouble and somewhere around13-14 I still think there will be issues, which for what it's worth I can't see us getting much more than.

Fifteen plus and he buys himself time
Chairman could have made a great positive statement by refusing to sell Mo. It is selling Mosnd showing Graham door with no clear replacements which has left fans concerned. Fans want to know a) which two or three strikers will be starting home games and b) that they will pose a consistent goal threat otherwise they aren’t going to pay the high cost to attend games.
shevates
Robin its not about yesterday its also about his previous 94 league games in charge weve been shocking. Last season no full backs now weve loads, last season a decent midfield now what. Eisa kept us up and now we have little up front, but id give them a chance as they get no service from atangana and Tozer. Whats also frightening if they dont make it some are on two year contracts
Robin
I'm not defending last year it was hugely disappointing and I blame GJ for failing to sort out the defence (if he did that we would have been much higher). This year I feel we are a couple of players away from a top half side anything less and GJ should not be given a new deal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I'm not defending last year it was hugely disappointing and I blame GJ for failing to sort out the defence (if he did that we would have been much higher). This year I feel we are a couple of players away from a top half side anything less and GJ should not be given a new deal.
Second half of that a copy and paste from the last two Augusts/Mays?
drgm
I finally stopped making excuses for Gary after watching our 'performance' against Forest Green Rovers at home.
He really should have gone at the end of last season.
A better manager would have hung on to Winchester and Pell and used the Eisa money (he was always going to go
for the right price) to build a top half team. Instead we have been handing out 2 year deals to nobodies.

Ihearye's post further up is absolutely spot on. Another season of mediocrity beckons -and that's with the benefit
of some transfer money. Please get rid.
solihullkev
Our strategy since May has been very poor

The squad should have gelled in pre season friendlies. Instead the one player who came out of those shining was Mo. Too much tinkering

We should have got the deal with Mo to go signed up sooner ; could perhaps then have kept Winchester and Pell and got another couple in the door

We look a wholly incomplete squad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The whole club bottled it selling Mo.
drgm
The only decision that the club 'bottled' was getting rid of the manager.
Mo was always going to go for the right price.
CTFC03
The club cashed in because this was their only chance to get top dollor, we didn't bottle it at all, we needed the money more than the player it's about what we do with it next that counts.

Unfortuantely We look lost without Pell and Winchester, if we had those two right now we would probably be a top half side pushing for the play offs, hopefully things will come good, it needs to come good for Johnson who has gone quite a way down in my estimations.
Rulistening
Hopefully we use the mo money to find a new manager :) same rubbish football. useless hoofball tactics when he sees it isnt working. at least this time he decided to not sub on a CB..
Robin
solihullkev wrote:Our strategy since May has been very poor

The squad should have gelled in pre season friendlies. Instead the one player who came out of those shining was Mo. Too much tinkering

We should have got the deal with Mo to go signed up sooner ; could perhaps then have kept Winchester and Pell and got another couple in the door

Winchester agreed to sign for FGR back in Feb and was offered the carrot of a huge signing on fee. I am not sure that was GJ's fault of the money from Mo could have influenced it. The decision to sell Pell sits with GJ and the board though and I questioned it at the time.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
solihullkev wrote:Our strategy since May has been very poor

Winchester agreed to sign for FGR back in Feb and was offered the carrot of a huge signing on fee. I am not sure that was GJ's fault of the money from Mo could have influenced it. The decision to sell Pell sits with GJ and the board though and I questioned it at the time.
F++k winchester he went for the dollar, I don't want his sort at the club. McCann had class and cared, Winchester was crass
Robin
Yes I fully agree, GJ may have faults but he's not at fault there in my opinion.
Si Robin
I also agree - short of putting ourselves in financial trouble, we were never going to keep him.

Pell is an odd one - he didn't seem to find his feet last season after the Blackpool debacle, and he has form for not lasting longer than a season or two at a club before either moving on or being moved on - he actually spoke about it in his leaving interview with JP.

You can, by all means, question their replacements, but to question them going and laying it at GJ's door is a bit harsh in my view.

As for how long, I said that GJ starts with a clean slate in the summer after wanting him out after the FGR game. That clean slate does not include pre-season games which are about fitness, and I'm certainly not going to turn on him after a dour opening "performance". 10 games tends to be the agreed barometer, and if we are struggling after 10 games then I would expect pressure to be being put on him from all corners.
longmover
GJ's pre season starts now, we've now got to look forward to GJ finding his best XI while realising that some players may not be up to it and he's playing players out of position already. He's taking us for mugs, the whole Mo saga is his new 'i got you out of the conference' card.

I want him to turn things around but there is absolutely nothing to show we are going to improve on the past two seasons. We're going nowhere with him in charge.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:GJ's pre season starts now, we've now got to look forward to GJ finding his best XI while realising that some players may not be up to it and he's playing players out of position already. He's taking us for mugs, the whole Mo saga is his new 'i got you out of the conference' card.

I want him to turn things around but there is absolutely nothing to show we are going to improve on the past two seasons. We're going nowhere with him in charge.
The Mo saga was such a kick in the teeth to season ticket holders who renewed in the hope of exciting football and a promotion push.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
The Mo saga was such a kick in the teeth to season ticket holders who renewed in the hope of exciting football and a promotion push.
Really???!!!???

Surely most regulars / season tickets knew it was unlikely that we would keep him although would have hoped we wouldnt get rid of him but i doubt decisions to renew would have hinged on him being here or not...
horlickfanclub
Spot on Andy.
theidlerich
Andy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Really???!!!???

Surely most regulars / season tickets knew it was unlikely that we would keep him although would have hoped we wouldnt get rid of him but I doubt decisions to renew would have hinged on him being here or not...
One could only hope that we held on to Mo for another season [I was in the better for him to develop here camp, rather than be lost in a large decent squad somewhere 'x'. Better a big fish in a small pond etc..]. However that said and sold; the replacement[s] that we should have been eyeing up "in case" and getting have yet to materialise or be persuaded to join our merry band. That is a real concern.
.and from comments earlier I feel 4 or 5 games in is a decent indication of where we might be heading. But also felt the first home game was poor and below expectations.
Shade
Some people obviously need to be more realistic with their expectations.
longmover
The last two pre seasons have been a carbon copy of this one why do people need four or five games to find out where CTFC are heading??
Robin
I'd argue this pre-season has been very different to the previous ones. We started off excellently the only issue is we've faded badly.