Twice in a week

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Round Robin
5.00pm disappointed and only a one week into the season . Where next ?
Shade
Depends how much you build your hopes up about something as to where you next get disappointed.

On the bright side, half of the fanbase should be happy as they didn't want us to buy anyone and want George Lloyd to get a chance.
shevates
Shade wrote:Depends how much you build your hopes up about something as to where you next get disappointed.

On the bright side, half of the fanbase should be happy as they didn't want us to buy anyone and want George Lloyd to get a chance.
My hopes were that the football would be better than than the previous two seasons of complete and utter garbage, but clearly youre happy about it. Like to know who were saying keep the money in the bank.????. As for Lloyd most were implying he was as good as what weve brought in, so why waste wages on a new player when hes no better than Lloyd
Benctfc
It's unnaceptable really we knew Mo was going to go all Summer and we put all our eggs in one basket and have come up empty handed. We should never have waited this long on Rowe and seemed to have no other interest in any other players. it is the last 2 seasons all over again scrambling to get last minute deals or loans over the line realising our current squad isnt good enough. We also are starting the season with no clear game plan and formation or anywhere near a settled side. What happened to recruiting players with a formation and style of play in mind? I will be surprised if GJ lasts until October where I can see us being left with some poor players on 2 year contracts. I have never felt so uninterested at the start of the season as I have this.
longmover
Benctfc wrote:It's unnaceptable really we knew Mo was going to go all Summer and we put all our eggs in one basket and have come up empty handed. We should never have waited this long on Rowe and seemed to have no other interest in any other players. it is the last 2 seasons all over again scrambling to get last minute deals or loans over the line realising our current squad isnt good enough. We also are starting the season with no clear game plan and formation or anywhere near a settled side. What happened to recruiting players with a formation and style of play in mind? I will be surprised if GJ lasts until October where I can see us being left with some poor players on 2 year contracts. I have never felt so uninterested at the start of the season as I have this.
This^^ (no doubt we'll end up with some guff from bristol city)
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:It's unnaceptable really we knew Mo was going to go all Summer and we put all our eggs in one basket and have come up empty handed. We should never have waited this long on Rowe and seemed to have no other interest in any other players. it is the last 2 seasons all over again scrambling to get last minute deals or loans over the line realising our current squad isnt good enough. We also are starting the season with no clear game plan and formation or anywhere near a settled side. What happened to recruiting players with a formation and style of play in mind? I will be surprised if GJ lasts until October where I can see us being left with some poor players on 2 year contracts. I have never felt so uninterested at the start of the season as I have this.
Agree 100 per cent....
CTFCfan99
Personally glad we haven't paid over the odds for someone who's completely unproven in the FL. I'd rather we used the money on one or two quality loanees from Champ/Prem clubs or with FL experience.
Lord Elpuz
Or ...

We could win a couple of games on the spin, and that would change perspectives.

There’s disharmony because of one lost League game, I can understand that. However, it is too soon to predict what will happen over the next month or so.

We definitely don’t want to be propping up the League at the end of August, otherwise the knives will be out. We’ve also got to remember the loan market doesn’t end for a while, and in the past we’ve had to go for cheap and cheerful with some untried ‘potential’ - we may be able to go for more experienced players eager to get games, now that we have some cash available. If we don’t get Rowe (on loan or otherwise, assuming a very late and unannounced as yet deal may have gone through), then clearly CTFC was not going to be held to ransom over the fee. You’d have to feel sorry for Rowe because he wanted to come here apparently and it may have been his last shot at getting into the Football League and doing well whilst he’s still under 30.
longmover
its not so much the financial side of things its the complete p*ss poor planing that surrounds the clubs transfers and pre season (yet again)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:Personally glad we haven't paid over the odds for someone who's completely unproven in the FL. I'd rather we used the money on one or two quality loanees from Champ/Prem clubs or with FL experience.
Indeed and such loans would mean we aren’t committed to expensive wages for two years even if the player fails.

Last time we experimented with expensive players (Richards et al) they didn’t perform and we were on the verge of bankruptcy after relegation.
shevates
Some valid points RCS, but from what Ive seen so far weve already wasting wages on some of the two year deals that have been thrown around willy nilly. Its not just expensive signings that have a burden on the budget poor squad players do as well
Artemis
CTFCfan99 wrote:Personally glad we haven't paid over the odds for someone who's completely unproven in the FL. I'd rather we used the money on one or two quality loanees from Champ/Prem clubs or with FL experience.
^^^^^^
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Some valid points RCS, but from what Ive seen so far weve already wasting wages on some of the two year deals that have been thrown around willy nilly. Its not just expensive signings that have a burden on the budget poor squad players do as well
But they are cheap at least, so worth a punt.
Round Robin
Yes maybe I was daft to expect a home win over Crawley but after eveything I 'd heard and read I just expected more . Thus the reason for my disappointment.

With regard to Rowe I watched the goals he has scored over the last few years and 200K didn't look a lot of money for that type of finishing . Disappointed again on missing out .We will never know now if he would have been a success or not but once again we have started the season with too many ifs and buts about the squad . Lose again on Saturday and already we'll be playing catch up .

I keep telling myself we are only 1 game in but for once I would like some evidence that my hope is not a total waste of time
shevates
Yes one game into this season but a worrying continuation of the previous 92 league games
Del Boy
shevates wrote:Yes one game into this season but a worrying continuation of the previous 92 league games
He's been in charge for 100 leagues games - averaging 1.05 points per game but some still think we couldn't get anyone better.

His recruitment bar one player has been terrible. How anyone could say there's no chance of relegation with Johnson in charge baffles me. Given his record with us it's a very real possibility and would have happened last year if Eisa hadn't have come off in such style.

Expectations of the play-offs are cloud cuckoo.
Benctfc
Say what you like about Yates and I wasn't one of his biggest fans but at least when he recruited he did so with a system and style of play in mind. There has been nothing with GJ in the football league to suggest we could challenge anywhere near the top 7 we have never threatened it. It will be interesting to see how the new board deal with the situation as I can't see them being as patient and friendly as Baker was.
Nesty
Johnson spent much of last season perming any 11 from 20 odd trying to find a fit.
CTFC03
Yes have to agree Benctfc, I wasn't a Yates fan but it at least made sense what he was trying to do, Johnson has gone way down in my estimation. I just hope this summer just gone wasn't a chance missed to get rid of Johnson similar to a few years ago when we should have parted with Yates and we bottled it big time and ended up going down because of it.
Benctfc
CTFC03 wrote:Yes have to agree Benctfc, I wasn't a Yates fan but it at least made sense what he was trying to do, Johnson has gone way down in my estimation. I just hope this summer just gone wasn't a chance missed to get rid of Johnson similar to a few years ago when we should have parted with Yates and we bottled it big time and ended up going down because of it.
Very true this season has a lot of similarities and a similar feeling to the season Yates was sacked in. It's very rare a season that starts with most fans lacking confidence in the manager and negativity around the club goes well.
Artemis
Hang on, two months we were lauding GJs early recruitment policy and some of the players he brought in.
An opening day defeat and a £200k unproven non league striker doesnt materialise, and all of sudden we're heading back to the National League.
OK so we've sold our leading striker but the proposed replacement was hardly a proven EFL striker so why the increased negativity. Duku and or KLK will see us right and we will see an decent striker come in on loan.
It doesn't have to click immediately. We were hardly setting the devision alight in 2002/3 until Naylor and Lee Williams turned up.
CTFCfan99
Agree with above. People wanted a new look squad after last season, GJ has provided that and it's as if people are writing them all off after one game, madness! It's gonna take a while for them to start playing well together so everyone try to have a little faith and patience. If we're not looking any good in ten games' time that's when we should really consider a change.
Johnsons Red Army
Exactly! The overreactions here after just one game are ridiculous really.

I will admit, though, it was a poor game, however I'm not ready to declare season over and Johnson out after just one game, like many seem to be doing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Exactly! The overreactions here after just one game are ridiculous really.

I will admit, though, it was a poor game, however I'm not ready to declare season over and Johnson out after just one game, like many seem to be doing.
Too early to write season off after one game, yes. But those criticising Gary are doing so on the basis of 47, or even 93 games, not one.
everyman
longmover wrote:its not so much the financial side of things its the complete p*ss poor planing that surrounds the clubs transfers and pre season (yet again)
You only have to see the no. of players tried in the last 3 seasons to realise there is no real plan behind recruitment,leading to constant juggling with formations etc.There doesn`t appear to be any coherent team building process.
solihullkev
After one game compared to end of last season we have lost Mo, Pell, Winchester. No evidence (yet) we have replaced it. Players like Akinde have moved elsewhere. We have money in the bank and no strategy.

The transfer window was played very poorly.
Artemis
Trouble is, Akinde moved before we had the cash in the bank.
Perhaps we should have sold Mo sooner for less so that there was the cash in the bank to go for Akinde?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:After one game compared to end of last season we have lost Mo, Pell, Winchester. No evidence (yet) we have replaced it. Players like Akinde have moved elsewhere. We have money in the bank and no strategy.

The transfer window was played very poorly.
Perhaps the strategy is we just don’t generate enough income so the money in the bank will be used keep us afloat and debt free in L2.
MittonRobin
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Exactly! The overreactions here after just one game are ridiculous really.

I personally think people have every right to be concerned ( me very much included ). Looks like a pattern is continuing on from the last 2 seasons in my eyes. This does not look like a great squad as we speak. Big couple of weeks coming up for Gary.
Johnsons Red Army
That's fair enough, and I may join the rest of you with your concerns once a suitable amount of games have been played, however we have effectively a brand new team that has only played one, albeit poor, game.

I'm going to give them and the manager time before I start declaring season over and calling for heads. For all we know, we could go on and win a few games on the bounce and everyone will be saying what a great team we have. One game doesn't define the season, especially the first one for that matter.

If after 10 games or so we are rock bottom and losing every game poorly as we did the first, then fair enough, but we aren't there yet (and hopefully never will be!)
Robin
Let me be clear if we are in the bottom six for a sustained period GJ should be sacked, it's simply not good enough.
solihullkev
RCS - if that is the strategy then presumably we would be insolvent now without sale of Mo ?!

Re sale of Mo - GJ must have known for weeks his son was interested ; that seems very unlikely to have only materialised in 48 hours before the sale. If that is right, he should have done his buying before announcing sale. Club knew Mo was off before likes of Akinde sold.
MittonRobin
Johnsons Red Army wrote:That's fair enough, and I may join the rest of you with your concerns once a suitable amount of games have been played, however we have effectively a brand new team that has only played one, albeit poor, game.

I'm going to give them and the manager time before I start declaring season over and calling for heads. For all we know, we could go on and win a few games on the bounce and everyone will be saying what a great team we have. One game doesn't define the season, especially the first one for that matter.

If after 10 games or so we are rock bottom and losing every game poorly as we did the first, then fair enough, but we aren't there yet (and hopefully never will be!)
My biggest problem at the minute is that I am concerned for my club that I love. If we go down again ( yes being negative here ) I don't expect us to survive this time. I am just desperate like everyone else for us to survive and at the moment I cant see it.
Good comments and you are right so lets hope there is to be no problems.
Lord Elpuz
Some facts for people to mull over ...

Mark Yates generated a huge amount of income for CTFC by getting to 2 play offs, including one Wembley final, and a host of big FA Cup and ‘League Cup’ matches. This, after CTFC almost went into administration following the Martin Allen debacle. Mark Yates rescued the club and was never properly appreciated by some ‘fans’ who will only support a winning side. It was Buckle that made a rescueable situation impossible.

Gary & Pete Johnson have generated a huge financial windfall by finding Mo Eisa. The knives already seem to be out amongst some, which again will not take account of what they’ve actually done for this Club, in particular getting us back in the Football League. There is more to come in terms of what that windfall could do to improve our Club.

Now the harsh reality ... take a look at this average crowd table for last Saturday: https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... B317F2D86B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the home side’s that played the first game of the season, we were bottom of the attendance chart. And that was not because of last Saturday’s defeat. Had we have won that game, the figure would have been the same, obviously. Crowds for Cheltenham games have dwindled over many years. I know people will say that it is because of the Football being served up, but the truth is that even when we won the Vanarama League, the local public were not engaged.

The Club can only provide a level of football based on gate receipts, and hopefully some decent sponsorship, or revenue streams away from football. Sponsorships are not likely to materialise if the businesses are only hitting 2,719 people.

People need to face up to the fact that we can barely sustain football at this level and that’s why we are where we are. We should be grateful that Mo Eisa has provided a lifeline that has the chance to improve the Stadium and therefore improve other revenue streams, whilst at the same time enabling us to compete for quality players to an extent that DOES NOT mean paying over the odds for an unproven non-League striker, and gifting a big chunk of our windfall to the likes of AFC Fylde.
solihullkev
Lord Elpuz - as for RCS, do you say if we had not sold Mo we would be insolvent ? Plainly not. We did not need Mo money to survive as was repeatedly said. On that basis, we should either have kept Mo or sold and used some of the money to improve team / squad. To do neither is the problem.

If reports are to be believed we would have signed Rowe if Fylde had accepted 200k reported bid. So manager and club wanted to do it ; not through prudence it did not happen. We left it too late.

The folk of Cheltenhamshire are fickle and there is not enough supporter base but that should not mean we should have no ambition and be grateful for survival - if that is your point, explain Accrington Stanley.