Some thoughts on the Tranmere defeat

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsTranmere" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robust from JP. When articles like this appear, managers rarely last much longer.
solihullkev
Excellent piece ; spot on.
Red Duke
A fair assessment of the current situation. How many games was it into the season that Bobby Gould resigned at the home match against Rochdale?
Fuller
The forwards situation has got to addressed urgently for sure.

We've now only got Lloyd and he's not even in the squad, McAlinden who looks a straight swap for Graham, and Kalala whose an unknown quantity.

Very unlucky to lose Duku for 10 weeks, but what a mess 9 days in to the season.

People moaned about Yates but he signed Duffy, Harrod, Cureton, Thomas and others, all proven goalscorers at League Two level.

Where the f**k are those sort of players at Whaddon Road now ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:The forwards situation has got to addressed urgently for sure.

We've now only got Lloyd and he's not even in the squad, McAlinden who looks a straight swap for Graham, and Kalala whose an unknown quantity.

Very unlucky to lose Duku for 10 weeks, but what a mess 9 days in to the season.

People moaned about Yates but he signed Duffy, Harrod, Cureton, Thomas and others, all proven goalscorers at League Two level.

Where the f**k are those sort of players at Whaddon Road now ?
Earning a better wage elsewhere. Look at Reuben Reid and how much FGR spent to get him. We just cannot do that without a step change increase in match and non-match revenue.
Fuller
Red Duke wrote:A fair assessment of the current situation. How many games was it into the season that Bobby Gould resigned at the home match against Rochdale?
He resigned on 18th October 2003. That was a pretty grim period too but did include that brilliant Friday night 4-3 win over Northampton. But at least Bobby resigned which was honourable. John Ward was an excellent replacement and he was a success overall.

A new Chairman and it looks like his first major decision will not be an easy one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:
Red Duke wrote:A fair assessment of the current situation. How many games was it into the season that Bobby Gould resigned at the home match against Rochdale?
He resigned on 18th October 2003. That was a pretty grim period too but did include that brilliant Friday night 4-3 win over Northampton. But at least Bobby resigned which was honourable. John Ward was an excellent replacement and he was a success overall.

A new Chairman and it looks like his first major decision will not be an easy one.
A decision which could define his tenure.
Robin
I feel change is inevitable but we need to get the next appointment right. GJ has a great track record and done a lot right in his time here but appears to have run out of ideas.

I just pray we don't go for a Jerry Gill just because he once played for us. Gary Bowyer is the best option I see out there right now, followed by Keith Curle but we should at least ask SC given he would have decent funds available this time around.
Red dog
It seems the blame is being laid at the feet of the forwards but if the ball isn't getting to them enough what are they ment to do, I didnt see this game but a pal who did tells me the midfield are not pulling they're wait, bad decition making poor delivery little forward play, this is the area the coaching could perhaps consentrate on then the goals will come.
Nesty
Top marks UP for telling it like it is.
Lord Elpuz
It is a very telling statement from JP and one which I believe most supporters will associate with.

It could well be the case that Mr Johnson is already in the realms of ‘x’ amount of games to demonstrate clear improvement, or he might be losing his job, as far as the Board of Directors may be concerned.

That being a possibility, I hope that our fans don’t start shouting silly things at games. Gary Johnson does not deserve that - he was responsible for bringing us our Champions and getting us back into the Football League at the first time of asking - without that, we could well have been a part-time Club by now.

The results, if they don’t produce points (or cup wins) very soon, are duty bound to provoke a reaction from the Board. It is a possibility that Gary Johnson’s serious illness in 2017, coupled with the sad loss of his younger brother more recently, have taken more out of him than we all realise or appreciate. If that is indeed the case, the time may well have come for our Gary to call it a day.

I would prefer it if he could leave the Club with his head held high, and remembered very fondly by everyone. I sincerely hope it doesn’t get acrimonious, with some of our fans baying for blood.
Robin
Fully agree, there should be no bad blood but I think he probably should leave if we are confident in landing a good replacement.
Red Duke
Red dog wrote:It seems the blame is being laid at the feet of the forwards but if the ball isn't getting to them enough what are they ment to do, I didnt see this game but a pal who did tells me the midfield are not pulling they're wait, bad decition making poor delivery little forward play, this is the area the coaching could perhaps consentrate on then the goals will come.
Not so much to do with coaching, more down to the team selection/ tactics. With a midfield pairing of Ategana and Tozer, it came as no surprise there was no creativity in midfield.

Maybe if we played 3-5-2 with Maddox in the middle, there maybe have been better chances to expose the lack of pace at the back for Tranmere.
Ihearye
Things must be bad for GJ, Oldun hasn't popped up to tell you all you are mad and that we can't get any better
Benctfc
Very good piece which i think sums up the feelings of most fans. You know it's bad when the media start putting pieces like this out especially JP who is normally very conserved in his opinions.

As I said when a season starts with as much anger and disintrest as this has it never ends well for the manager.
ctfc-fan
Lord Elpuz wrote:It is a very telling statement from JP and one which I believe most supporters will associate with.

It could well be the case that Mr Johnson is already in the realms of ‘x’ amount of games to demonstrate clear improvement, or he might be losing his job, as far as the Board of Directors may be concerned.

That being a possibility, I hope that our fans don’t start shouting silly things at games. Gary Johnson does not deserve that - he was responsible for bringing us our Champions and getting us back into the Football League at the first time of asking - without that, we could well have been a part-time Club by now.

The results, if they don’t produce points (or cup wins) very soon, are duty bound to provoke a reaction from the Board. It is a possibility that Gary Johnson’s serious illness in 2017, coupled with the sad loss of his younger brother more recently, have taken more out of him than we all realise or appreciate. If that is indeed the case, the time may well have come for our Gary to call it a day.

I would prefer it if he could leave the Club with his head held high, and remembered very fondly by everyone. I sincerely hope it doesn’t get acrimonious, with some of our fans baying for blood.
The voice of reason. Top marks.