Season ticket holder has lost interest

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
I thought that after 60 years of watching the Robins most of them as a season ticket holder I would ever say I have lost interest. Most of my social life revoled around the Robins. I always made sure I did,nt miss a home game. Now after the last couple of seasons and the rubbish I have watched this season I don't really care any more. We just seem to drift from one season to the next. No forward planning to get us excited about the new season, it appears we lack ambition as a club. I for one will not be going again unless there is a dramatic turn around. It hurts to say this but we are second best in the county now.
shevates
If as you say youve been watching the team for 60 years, youve seen worse poo than this. This club has taken massive strides during your time and mine as supporters, and the club needs support from us to try to stop us returning to those dark bleak days of the late 70s and 80s. Running away wont help the situation. Back in the 60s we had gates of 3,000 plus, but when we went backwards those fans started to leave and we ended up playing infront of 300 and not 3,000, and facing bankruptcy. That could easily happen again
longtimerobin
I agree with you shevates but I am afraid the signs are beginning to show we are heading backwards. Although I and several hundred fans if not more do not claim to be better football managers we can see the recruitment over the last few years has been lets say poor. With crowds dwindling , plans for a new stand stalled yet again it seems the only news we seem to get from the board and manager is lack of ambition. The manager I beleave had some money to spend this summer but look what we have seen so far, oh yes we beat Cirencester and Evesham perhaps we will be looking forward to the local derbys with them soon. Come on lets have some news that we mean business this season before its to late. I WILL BE THERE TUESDAY AND SATURDAY but this could be my last time for some time.
Shade
I wonder how Rochdale managed to keep any kind of fan base engaged when they stayed in this division for 41 straight years.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:I wonder how Rochdale managed to keep any kind of fan base engaged when they stayed in this division for 41 straight years.
Maybe the board could take a look and see? Right now 4 straight years looks like a good target !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I wonder how Rochdale managed to keep any kind of fan base engaged when they stayed in this division for 41 straight years.
Look at their attendances. Not much better than ours, and was below 2,000 in mid/late 90s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... C._seasons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MittonRobin
longtimerobin wrote:I thought that after 60 years of watching the Robins most of them as a season ticket holder I would ever say I have lost interest. Most of my social life revoled around the Robins. I always made sure I did,nt miss a home game. Now after the last couple of seasons and the rubbish I have watched this season I don't really care any more. We just seem to drift from one season to the next. No forward planning to get us excited about the new season, it appears we lack ambition as a club. I for one will not be going again unless there is a dramatic turn around. It hurts to say this but we are second best in the county now.
I lost interest have way through last season. Its nothing to be proud of but I have not been back since. Its utter Tosh what they have served up recently. In my opinion the club is currently going one way.
Really considered going tomorrow night because its the cup. At £21 that soon put me off. That is something I also personally think is a disgrace to us Fans ( especially the ones that go week in, week out )

Big Big changes needed before I watch another game.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Look at their attendances. Not much better than ours, and was below 2,000 in mid/late 90s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... C._seasons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. Obviously the cost of players and wages was nowhere near as high at that time but they survived on under 2000 fans per person, or just over, for nearly 30 years before the figures suddenly jumped back up into the 3000's around the turn of the century, even though their finishing positions were still mid-to-low in the table at the time and rarely getting past round 1 or 2 of the Cup.

Interesting side note; their first season with an average crowd of over 3000 for 28 years was in 2000/1 when a certain Paul Connor was their top scorer. With 10.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:

Interesting. Obviously the cost of players and wages was nowhere near as high at that time but they survived on under 2000 fans per person, or just over, for nearly 30 years before the figures suddenly jumped back up into the 3000's around the turn of the century, even though their finishing positions were still mid-to-low in the table at the time and rarely getting past round 1 or 2 of the Cup.

Interesting side note; their first season with an average crowd of over 3000 for 28 years was in 2000/1 when a certain Paul Connor was their top scorer. With 10.
Plus with a bigger pool of local players they can get more players on cheaper wages than we can.
drgm
I have hardly missed a home league game in 20 years but the start of this season came round and
there was none of the usual optimism and spark that makes the beginning of the season something to
look forward to.

The season we got relegated under Yates was probably the worst, but in terms of drift, lack of ambition
and sheer lack of quality both on and off the pitch the last 2 years take some beating. Whether its the
cup competitions or beating the nut-munchers from down the road, Gary cannot get a win when it is needed.
Yes no doubt Shevates and others endured worst but that was in front of 600 people. Is that where we are
headed?

Being a Robins supporter has been part of who I am for the last twenty years. Not as long as some
that's for sure but I really cant be bothered to pay £20 just to get angry and frustrated at someone
who is simply using the club to top up his pension.

I know he has been seriously ill and has lost a family member but Peter Matthews asked a very
pertinent question of Gary at the end of last season.

'Have you got the drive and ambition to re-build the team again for next season?'
Gary was clearly a bit surprised at the question:
'Well don't you think I have then?'

Sorry Gary I don't think you have. You will always be a legend for getting us out of the conference
and that's how I want to remember you.
Robin
It was worse under Allen, Gould, Buckle and Yates in my opinion but it's still not acceptable. GJ has far more managerial talent than those three combined but he appears to have lost his way - why can he not see 4-4-2 isn't working? He has to find a winning formula quickly otherwise we will be looking for a new manager in my opinion.
Artemis
MittonRobin wrote:
longtimerobin wrote:I thought that after 60 years of watching the Robins most of them as a season ticket holder I would ever say I have lost interest. Most of my social life revoled around the Robins. I always made sure I did,nt miss a home game. Now after the last couple of seasons and the rubbish I have watched this season I don't really care any more. We just seem to drift from one season to the next. No forward planning to get us excited about the new season, it appears we lack ambition as a club. I for one will not be going again unless there is a dramatic turn around. It hurts to say this but we are second best in the county now.
I lost interest have way through last season. Its nothing to be proud of but I have not been back since. Its utter Tosh what they have served up recently. In my opinion the club is currently going one way.
Really considered going tomorrow night because its the cup. At £21 that soon put me off. That is something I also personally think is a disgrace to us Fans ( especially the ones that go week in, week out )

Big Big changes needed before I watch another game.
And therein lies the problem (and that's not a dig at MittonRobin or anyone else). Even at £21 admission price we can't compete with the likes of Northampton when trying to sign Andy Williams - and that's despite him being a relatively local.

I suspect the sustainable answer is generating non-match day revenue, rather than trying to entice folks in to see an uncompetitive team (that seems to have been tried innumerable times), or taking a gamble on a sugar daddy or debt, both of which risk the very fabric and soul of the club we all love.
tunnelvision
Robin wrote:It was worse under Allen, Gould, Buckle and Yates in my opinion but it's still not acceptable. GJ has far more managerial talent than those three combined but he appears to have lost his way - why can he not see 4-4-2 isn't working? He has to find a winning formula quickly otherwise we will be looking for a new manager in my opinion.
Last season we seemed to recruit for a 3-5-2 formation i.e. no wingers, no RB, but then played 4-4-2 which was a disaster, leading to the panic signing of the BC lads. This season we appear to have recruited for 4-4-2, with Addai, Long, Hussey, Debayo etc, but still can't seem to play the system. As before, the midfield is wide open, making it too easy for other teams to break us down. Maybe, Tom Smith could provide the "terrier" like qualities we appear to be missing, but without more energy in the center of the park, this system is never going to work. How long before we revert to 3-5-2 and what then the implications for those summer signings?

I've questioned GJ's tactical decisions since the start of last season, and it doesn't appear to be any better now. For a manager of his experience, I can't understand why he seems to make so many basic errors.

It's also a deriliction of duty not to have experienced replacements lined-up for Mo & Winnie, when it was well known that they wouldn't be here this season.
Artemis
How do you know they didn't have experienced replacements lined up? We did - Andy Williams for one.
All I know is that replacements weren't signed. That could be - like Andy Williams - we couldn't compete with other clubs trying to sign them.
There is a very small pool of experienced players who aren't in the categories of "pension hunters", "sick-notes", "more clubs than Tiger Woods", "attitude problem" etc. And more clubs chasing them than there are players. Someone is going to lose out. We've done well to sign Ben Tozer and Johnny Mullins in my opinion.

The striker and other midfielder have alluded us, which means we have to go for loans. That's life in a lower to mid table bottom division club. To pretend otherwise is just delusional.
I'm sure the board would welcome any realistic ideas to change the situation - or even better, a whole load of cash donated by someone who doesn't want to change the club a la Stale Mince.
tunnelvision
Artemis wrote:How do you know they didn't have experienced replacements lined up?
If we did have replacements lined up (not just one) but still failed to sign anyone, then it's likely that we left it far too late and they went to other clubs. If this was the case, we shouldn't have sold Mo. I can understand the club wanting to cash in and I have no issue with that, but to do so without a ready replacement is reckless. The £1.5M (if that's what it was) won't look so good when we're in the NL next season, and odds are it'll be squandered on panic buys, attempting to stop the rot in January or in re-building the squad next summer.
Nesty
I know I have said it before and no doubt will say it again, but with Danny Wright, Holman, Odelusi set to leave we needed to sign one if not two strikers irrelevant of Mo leaving.
Artemis
That we left it too late does not follow from not signing anyone. We could have been in very early, but other clubs came in later and guzumped us.
Not selling Mo, and then him turning an ankle on Saturday and being out for the season would have been looked silly too, perhaps compounded by signing a replacement and not having the money to pay him because our prime asset is now not saleable.
The board took a value risk based judgement about the right time to cash in on their asset - and no doubt the player or his representatives made his views known too.

We are where we are right now. I anticipate some loans come in - high quality ones, from Premier League or Championship sides. Which may or may not help, but what is clear is that moaning about it or pointing out hindsight driven scenarios ain't gonna help anyone right now.
Artemis
Nesty wrote:I know I have said it before and no doubt will say it again, but with Danny Wright, Holman, Odelusi set to leave we needed to sign one if not two strikers irrelevant of Mo leaving.
We did. KLK, Liam McAlindon and Manny Duku. I make that three.
tunnelvision
Artemis wrote:
Nesty wrote:I know I have said it before and no doubt will say it again, but with Danny Wright, Holman, Odelusi set to leave we needed to sign one if not two strikers irrelevant of Mo leaving.
We did. KLK, Liam McAlindon and Manny Duku. I make that three.
We also lost Graham, so with Mo, that's 5 out and 3 in. Two of those untried at this level and the third known more as a provider, rather than a goal scorer.
That also excludes Gordon, which is perhaps an example of why you need plenty of cover!
Artemis
I don't think we've finished signing players, yet? Or did I miss the loan window closing?

With Duku's injury, I agree we are light on strikers. An opportunity for Lloyd to show he's worth a place in the team, but also we need to get someone in on loan. As I said, I expect us to sign a couple of decent loanees from Premier League or top Championship clubs.
I also read that Gabby Agbonlahor is still unattached? Surely we're in for him. If not, why not?
Shade
Artemis wrote:I don't think we've finished signing players, yet? Or did I miss the loan window closing?

With Duku's injury, I agree we are light on strikers. An opportunity for Lloyd to show he's worth a place in the team, but also we need to get someone in on loan. As I said, I expect us to sign a couple of decent loanees from Premier League or top Championship clubs.
I also read that Gabby Agbonlahor is still unattached? Surely we're in for him. If not, why not?
My question would be why? He hasn't done anything for a long time, is injury prone and, at 31, has probably lost his biggest asset - his pace.

Indeed the loan window is still open which means it's still possible to make permanent signings, as we've seen from a few clubs (loan until January when it's made permanent).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
Robin wrote:It was worse under Allen, Gould, Buckle and Yates in my opinion but it's still not acceptable. GJ has far more managerial talent than those three combined but he appears to have lost his way - why can he not see 4-4-2 isn't working? He has to find a winning formula quickly otherwise we will be looking for a new manager in my opinion.
Last season we seemed to recruit for a 3-5-2 formation i.e. no wingers, no RB, but then played 4-4-2 which was a disaster, leading to the panic signing of the BC lads. This season we appear to have recruited for 4-4-2, with Addai, Long, Hussey, Debayo etc, but still can't seem to play the system. As before, the midfield is wide open, making it too easy for other teams to break us down. Maybe, Tom Smith could provide the "terrier" like qualities we appear to be missing, but without more energy in the center of the park, this system is never going to work. How long before we revert to 3-5-2 and what then the implications for those summer signings?

I've questioned GJ's tactical decisions since the start of last season, and it doesn't appear to be any better now. For a manager of his experience, I can't understand why he seems to make so many basic errors.

It's also a deriliction of duty not to have experienced replacements lined-up for Mo & Winnie, when it was well known that they wouldn't be here this season.
If Gary and the board agreed a transfer approach that is in the best interests of the club in terms of medium to long term financial sustainability and growth, is that still ‘dereliction of duty’ as you call it?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:I don't think we've finished signing players, yet? Or did I miss the loan window closing?

He might want £5k a week.
Robin
He might want that amount but he won't be getting it in league two and he doesn't appear to have the options in league one or the Championship.
tunnelvision

I'm sure the weekly wage could be massaged down by offering a large signing on fee. I'm not sure how that works with FFP, since a signing on fee is equivalent to a transfer fee.
Robin
My understanding is that FGR offer very large signing on fees and bonuses to get around FFP - the basic wages they pay are probably lower than ours.
everyman
Robin wrote:My understanding is that FGR offer very large signing on fees and bonuses to get around FFP - the basic wages they pay are probably lower than ours.
They weren`t when Hughes was there !
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:That we left it too late does not follow from not signing anyone. We could have been in very early, but other clubs came in later and guzumped us.
Not selling Mo, and then him turning an ankle on Saturday and being out for the season would have been looked silly too, perhaps compounded by signing a replacement and not having the money to pay him because our prime asset is now not saleable.
The board took a value risk based judgement about the right time to cash in on their asset - and no doubt the player or his representatives made his views known too.

We are where we are right now. I anticipate some loans come in - high quality ones, from Premier League or Championship sides. Which may or may not help, but what is clear is that moaning about it or pointing out hindsight driven scenarios ain't gonna help anyone right now.
You have no idea how much I hope that is true. However a bit sceptical on it. Especially if you start to measure any loans quality against what we already have in place. e.g. being the best midfield player in the team, may not prove to be a sign of high quality.
Artemis
Uh, yes. It's likely to be a relative measure, hopefully relative to the Division rather than our current team.

I think we have to remember that in the same way we have to compete for permanent signings with 23 other league 2 clubs, same is true of loans. But the difference being we could use the Mo windfall in loan fees rather than direct to the player wages. Less upsetting the applecart that way.
We do however have to convince parent club that their star striker won't find himself at right back.
Robin
Only repeating what I was told as it allows them to by-pass FFP which focuses on % of wage budget vs revenue.
tunnelvision
Perhaps they didn't rebuild their squad every season. Without any continuity, how are the fans supposed to develop an affinity for the team?
Shade
tunnelvision wrote:
Perhaps they didn't rebuild their squad every season. Without any continuity, how are the fans supposed to develop an affinity for the team?
Or maybe they did as we've since established they had average crowds of under 2000 for around 28 consecutive seasons out of the 41..

I'll also just throw in that we didn't make hardly any changes the season we after we got promoted and lots of people moaned like hell that we had the same squad when we only just stayed up and fan numbers started falling.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Robin wrote:My understanding is that FGR offer very large signing on fees and bonuses to get around FFP - the basic wages they pay are probably lower than ours.
They weren`t when Hughes was there !
FFP is league only. They weren’t restricted on the Conference.
Artemis
And just to also throw in that there are some comments on this forum about the foolishness of signing players on two year deals. Longer than one year deals seems a good way to get continuity to me, but for some that isn't right either.
Artemis

Sorry, I missed an ironic / sarcastic emoticon from the Gabby Agblonlahor point. Of course we're not in for him. He's a useless sicknote who'd only be in it to top up his pension pot. He wouldn't have the same affection for our club in the same way that season ticket holders who can't be arsed any more two games into the season, only three seasons after a Championship winning one.

But the money would be no problem. After all, it would be easily made up by the hoards of supporters we'd attract back with a winning team. And anyway, you have to speculate to accumulate and not signing him on £10k a week so shows no ambition whatsoever.

;)