Cambridge United v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CambA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
So good news Hussey and Duku have been deemed fit enough to start. Bad news we're still playing 4-4-2, and with the same midfield, imo. Jones on the bench.

Bench looks decent but let's hope McAlinden turns up today.
Nesty
Kalala "left out" -
Ihearye
Nesty wrote:Kalala "left out" -
indeed, either a brave call as not rated. Or, something not right ?
I-Love-CTFC
At least it means George Lloyd gets a place on the bench.
Shade
4-1-4-1 formation apparently with McAlinden wide right...
Alf
We’re looking a lot more solid this week and better organised. Fingers crossed.
SOFT MACHINE
If the stats are anything to go by, it seems a pretty dour match thus far.
Alf
There’s not a lot of goalmouth action. It’s better than being a goal down though.
I see Mo’s not even on the bench for City today.
Artemis
Goooaaaal. Get in
Nesty
Ýyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeessssssssss

Milton for manager
Artemis
Inspired signing.....
Alf
Yes, one up and looking confident. I think Russ made the right changes at half time. Early days yet but maybe the search for a new manager should go on hold. Maybe he’s learned a bit since his last ‘part time manager’ stint.
Shade
This is why I wasn't sure about Hussey starting. Can only last 70 minutes and goes off looking not too good and now we have their dangerous winger off the bench against Debayo for the rest of the game.
I-Love-CTFC
Positive changes at half time have worked.
Shade
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Positive changes at half time have worked.
When GJ made subs that worked he apparently didn't know his best 11... :P
Alf
Shade wrote:
Get over it. This is by far and away our best performance for a long time.
Artemis
Quite, Shade, quite.
Shade
Alf wrote:
Shade wrote:
Get over what? The rampant hypocrisy of fickle football fans?
Shade
Hoorah. 3 whole, shiny points. And here was I thinking that FGR had already finished above us in the table. 3 points.
Alf
Nurse! He’s out of bed again!
Rulistening
Shade wrote:
GJ decided to use a CDM at ST, and often brought on defenders when losing for his subs. Not quite the same as subbing on a new signing ;)

Brilliant result. Gets us going now, shame our season is 4 games shorter than other teams though
CTFC03
Hussey had to start, he is the better player and has to get up to full fitness somehow.
Artemis
So a 1 0 away result is 'brilliant' yet a 1 0 home default is calamatous. Next week a 1 0 default gets Milton the sack. I'm with Shade on the fickle football fans.
Robin
Alf wrote:
Shade wrote:
Really apparently it was a poor game between two poor sides in which we mustered two shots on goal. I am glad we won but sounded like a tight game with nothing much happening and we were fortunate to win.
Horteng
Robin wrote:
Alf wrote:
Shade wrote: When GJ made subs that worked he apparently didn't know his best 11... :P
Really apparently it was a poor game between two poor sides in which we mustered two shots on goal. I am glad we won but sounded like a tight game with nothing much happening and we were fortunate to win.
One sat robin maybe you will give some credit

We won ffs just enjoy it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That’s L2 football. Three 1-0 against when we could easily have drawn or won a couple of them and today a 1-0 win which sounds like Cambridge could easily have for a point or three.

So many of these close games, especially in the early stages of the season are close and be decided by a bit of luck. If the rebound yesterday bounces differently Jones doesn’t score and we all moan about Duku missing one of our very few chances. Dawson scores penalty in game one and it’s different. Fine margins.
Robin
We scraped a win against a side fancied to struggle, I am relieved and pleased but equally feel I can call someone out for calling it a great performance. No doubt had GJ been in charge people will be on here complaining still.
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:No doubt had GJ been in charge people will be on here complaining still.
People will find a reason to moan about just about anything on here, so you certainly aren't wrong :lol: !
vickeryc
Quite. Let's see this win as a bonus and a bit of payback for one or two of the other games where we were unfortunate not to get a point or three. This team is work in progress and there are encouraging signs.
Alf
Robin wrote:We scraped a win against a side fancied to struggle, I am relieved and pleased but equally feel I can call someone out for calling it a great performance. No doubt had GJ been in charge people will be on here complaining still.
I think people are saying it’s a good result not necessarily a first class performance, there is a difference. There is no doubt however that it was a more solid and balanced performance and something to build on.
I think if Gary had been in charge of that performance we would have been saying “That’s more like it” and looked forward to next week but that wasn’t happening.
It’s not a question of people being for or against Gary. We all appreciate that Gary gave so much to the club but as with many managers there comes a time to move on, that’s life in the world of football.
shevates
It wasnt the best performance by far, but to me Mcalindon and thomas were poor, but it was a result desperately needed by the team and supporters to give us a lift. The formation was right, no square pegs in round holes. The team appeared to be together, and Maddox in the centre was my pick of the day. Well done Russ a great result for everyone
Red Duke
shevates wrote:It wasnt the best performance by far, but to me Mcalindon and thomas were poor, but it was a result desperately needed by the team and supporters to give us a lift. The formation was right, no square pegs in round holes. The team appeared to be together, and Maddox in the centre was my pick of the day. Well done Russ a great result for everyone
Good to know that Maddox was again in centre midfield.
solihullkev
Great result, average performance. The main difference between yesterday and the other matches this season was luck.

Anyone who thinks we have turned the corner or have found answers to our problems was not at the game yesterday.
Alf
It wasn’t luck that Russ selected players in their preferred positions and it wasn’t luck that he replaced Mcalindon and Thomas at half time. It also wasn’t luck that having an excellent Keeper kept us in the game early on when the new formation was finding its feet and it certainly wasn’t luck that Jones showed a lot of composure in the box when scoring the goal.