Some thoughts on the next manager

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/NextCTFCManager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
I'm not sure I follow the logic of stating that the new manager must be ex-CTFC, JP, but the pen-pics are good and, based solely on their respective experience that you've detailed here, I would order them:

Gill
Duff
Milton

Devaney.

Incidentally, I didn't realise Disco went to Watford from us. I thought he went straight to Barnsley.
Shade
He went to Watford and they off-loaded him pretty much straight away to Barnsley. Seem to remember they changed managers and the new one immediately took a disliking to Disco.

To be honest, if they pass the interview process, I'd be happy with any of them as we've got to have some faith in the board to get the right man. Milton has been treated harshly, I think. Twice he's been in charge before - firstly with a group of players he was largely stuck with and we all know were c!#p, but results did improve slightly. The second time, he still being dictated to by GJ, who was picking the team and formation. This is really the first time he's been able to get 2 or 3 players in and actually make it, sort of, his own. Obviously we don't know how long this chance will last.
Last edited by Shade on 28 Aug 2018, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
Feels like we are scrapping the bottom of the barrallel with those names. Devaney and Milton especially, if we appoint either of those or Slade I would want a refund on my season ticket. Not inspired at all with Gill or Duff either but would be willing to give them a chance at least.

In my view we must go all out to get Bowyer or Carsley.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I'm not sure I follow the logic of stating that the new manager must be ex-CTFC, JP, but the pen-pics are good and, based solely on their respective experience that you've detailed here, I would order them:

Gill
Duff
Milton
Logic may be that the Board have decided and are in talks and JP is now trying to shape public opinion so that the appointment looks like it is meeting the desire of the fans.
Robin
I have heard some strong rumours about Devaney applying but logic says it's unlikely.
Ihearye
I guess he could advise on haircuts?
East End Robin
Tbh I'm struggling ti see any big experienced names that would actually want to come here, so someone who knows the club could be a good shout. Not sure about "two years of neglect" though - mediocrity maybe, but not neglect
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
East End Robin wrote:Tbh I'm struggling ti see any big experienced names that would actually want to come here, so someone who knows the club could be a good shout. Not sure about "two years of neglect" though - mediocrity maybe, but not neglect
The problem with being a small club in a small town is you only get one media angle. JP hasn’t liked Gary for sometime.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry Gill for me.
Si Robin
Maybe, and I'm not speaking for JP here as I don't know for sure, he got fed up with the constant digs at him for trying to do his job and report on the club.

That being said, I haven't seen too much in JP's reporting to suggest he has it in for GJ.
Artemis
Jerry Gill is the one I'd choose. But I reckon Michael Duff is the name in the frame.
paperboy
...whoever it is going to be you would think that they would be in attendance tonight.

..oh no ! :-)
CTFC03
If we're going by that group then Gill for me but not very inspiring, I really would like a big name experienced manager.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Played 6, won 3 lost 3 scored 7 conceded 5.

Gill averaging 1.5 points a game this season with Bath, scoring more than a goal a game and conceding less than a goal a game.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Jerry Gill for me.
I don`t get this clamour for Gill,is it because he`s a sort of cult figure with a section of the fans.He is doing o.k.in the conf.south but that is miles away from our level.I stake my claim for Duff ahead of him ,he is just as much a Ctfc.legend with the added football league experience and a UEFA Pro-licence making him one of the most promising young british coaches in the game.
kiaora84
everyman wrote:
I don`t get this clamour for Gill,is it because he`s a sort of cult figure with a section of the fans.He is doing o.k.in the conf.south but that is miles away from our level.I stake my claim for Duff ahead of him ,he is just as much a Ctfc.legend with the added football league experience and a UEFA Pro-licence making him one of the most promising young british coaches in the game.

This
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Take a look at Gill’s football league coaching experience. He has been coaching and managing for longer than Duff.

To quote directly from JP’s article: “He switched to Forest Green Rovers in October 2008, working as player/coach under Jim Harvey and he has now built up a decade of coaching experience.

After a brief spell as manager of financially stricken Weymouth, Gill went on to work for Bristol Rovers, Kidderminster Harriers, Norwich City and Wolves, where he was Under-18s chief.

Gill has been on trips around Europe to further his coaching knowledge and was appointed manager of National League South Bath City in October 2017.”
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
everyman wrote:
Take a look at Gill’s football league coaching experience. He has been coaching and managing for longer than Duff.

To quote directly from JP’s article: “He switched to Forest Green Rovers in October 2008, working as player/coach under Jim Harvey and he has now built up a decade of coaching experience.

After a brief spell as manager of financially stricken Weymouth, Gill went on to work for Bristol Rovers, Kidderminster Harriers, Norwich City and Wolves, where he was Under-18s chief.

Gill has been on trips around Europe to further his coaching knowledge and was appointed manager of National League South Bath City in October 2017.”
If experience is the requirement then Johnson is your man ?
Shade
I'd also add that Jerry Gill does have plenty of football league experience too, not just Michael Duff, as he played in it for the vast majority of his career, including 60 appearances for Birmingham City.
Ihearye
[quote="everyman
I don`t get this clamour for Gill,is it because he`s a sort of cult figure with a section of the fans.He is doing o.k.in the conf.south but that is miles away from our level.I stake my claim for Duff ahead of him ,he is just as much a Ctfc.legend with the added football league experience and a UEFA Pro-licence making him one of the most promising young british coaches in the game.[/quote]

Gill has been on trips around Europe to further his coaching knowledge and was appointed manager of National League South Bath City in October 2017.”[/quote]
If experience is the requirement then Johnson is your man ?[/quote]

Experience has to be coupled with recent performances. It is no good saying we should go for xx because he got league promotions years ago, if his more recent form has stalled.

What would seem obvious, was that the board, given the fact that the squad is assembled and even if we take it that the loans arriving were already in the pipeline, the board did not see GJ as the person to get the best out of the squad. They seemed to have revisited what has happened over the last two years and decided to give GJ a few games to prove them wrong. That for one reason or another, did not work out, and they saw another year of struggle ahead. New eyes, new ideas, new methods of handling the players on a day to day basis. Hopefully that is what they are looking for. Who it will be God knows, but at least they are trying to lift us out of a malaise, that has been apparent since we left the NL
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well of all the ex-player options and Carsley, only Gill has recent results as he is the only one currently managing. 3-0 and 2-0 in last two games.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Well of all the ex-player options and Carsley, only Gill has recent results as he is the only one currently managing. 3-0 and 2-0 in last two games.
Am sure if he is shortlisted and then given a chance to show how he would interact with the players and get them working to his instructions. Then his record will be looked at alongside his 'test session'
paperboy
...with the news that a new manager won't be announced until next week at the earliest it's pretty obvious the board want to give the job to Russ and are giving him as long as possible to enhance his claims.
After perhaps rushing to get rid of GJ they are now dragging their feet appointing a new man.
They seem to have an ally in JP & Co with their opinion that last night's defeat was a great improvement on .....losing 1-0.
Nesty
I heard that the board are waiting for JM to be sacked at Man Utd
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Feels like we are scrapping the bottom of the barrallel with those names. Devaney and Milton especially, if we appoint either of those or Slade I would want a refund on my season ticket. Not inspired at all with Gill or Duff either but would be willing to give them a chance at least.

In my view we must go all out to get Bowyer or Carsley.
Still uninspired Robin?
Cheltenhamshire10
After reading the accolades from people at Burnley and how well he is respected there has definitely improved my estimation of Duff
vickeryc
Same. Burnley is a club that, for years, has punched well above its weight and has managed to bounce back to the Premiership three times during Sean Dyche's tenure. Incredible really for for a town smaller than Cheltenham, albeit one with a long Football League history. I'd be very surprised if Duffo hasn't picked up a lot from that sort of footballing environment and the positive noises from the Burnley camp suggest they hold him in high regard. I feel much more optimistic than I did week or two ago. He will need time to allow him to bed into his first managerial job and I hope the club, especially the fans, have the necessary patience. Who knows, he could become another Sean Dyche.
Lord Elpuz
Burnley will take a very keen and watchful interest in their “apprentice manager” at Cheltenham. If he makes the grade, we will probably lose him to Burnley for a second time in the not too distant future.

Message to the Board: make sure we get more than £30k next time, please (and they can keep the pork scratchings).
Robin
THere is no way Burnley will appoint Duffy whilst they are still in the Premiership that just doesn't happen.
Lord Elpuz
Robin wrote:THere is no way Burnley will appoint Duffy whilst they are still in the Premiership that just doesn't happen.
Are we unaware of Burnley’s results since April this year? Are we also unaware of Burnley’s points tally this season, and where they currently sit in the Premier League?

Bubbles do burst. And not exclusively at West Ham United.
plymrob
What is up with you... my lord? We are moving on - good bad or ... no this will be good. It's about time. COYR
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote:
Robin wrote:THere is no way Burnley will appoint Duffy whilst they are still in the Premiership that just doesn't happen.
Are we unaware of Burnley’s results since April this year? Are we also unaware of Burnley’s points tally this season, and where they currently sit in the Premier League?

Bubbles do burst. And not exclusively at West Ham United.
would much rather be sitting where they are with their bubble burst, than where we sre with our bubble deflating!