Some thoughts on the Brentford game

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsBrentford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
solihullkev
We were absolutely battered. Scoreline flattered us

Too much Milton favouritism - it was not a good performance
Artemis
Most interesting line in all the gushing praise for Milton is the "experienced striker due to undergo medical on Thursday". Sounds like a permanent signing of a free agent or at least loan with commitment to buy come January.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:Most interesting line in all the gushing praise for Milton is the "experienced striker due to undergo medical on Thursday". Sounds like a permanent signing of a free agent or at least loan with commitment to buy come January.
Hmmm must re read the posts. Must have missed most of the gushing. Personally, I will take the 3 points however it came and put it in my back pocket. The loss in a 2nd rate cup, I can always live with, no matter who the manager is (Lord knows we should be used to it by now).

Clubs change managers, its a fact of life, so little point in trying to stem that tide. I didn't want to see MY removed, but hey ho, it happened and all you can do is trust the board to see the problems and address them, The Board that ended up with GJ (the messiah to some), are the same ones that didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in their previous appointments. Point being - draw a line and move on, hoping that lessons learnt, will mean we avoid another nut job as a manager.
Artemis
What? I've nothing against Milton or a change of manager.

But what I don't particularly like is the strong inference that things have improved when a) Flinders has to be outstanding to prevent a hammering and b) we don't look like scoring

I'll reserve judgement until Saturday.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:What? I've nothing against Milton or a change of manager.

But what I don't particularly like is the strong inference that things have improved when a) Flinders has to be outstanding to prevent a hammering and b) we don't look like scoring

I'll reserve judgement until Saturday.
Apols then , it was just the gushing praise bit. Like I said, will take the 3 points without looking too deeply into how we got there. Wouldn't be too worried if Waddney (God rest his soul), was in the dugout last Saturday as long as we got the points :)
solihullkev
I am sure Milton is a good guy ; but no evidence now in his third attempt he has what it takes as a manager. We could not handle Brentford and the bit I am uncomfortable about is if that team on tuesday had been managed by GJ he would have been slated for being tactically inept, no shots on goal and a bartering at the end. Simply unfair to suggest Milton has improved things

Russ ain't good enough to manage - we learned that long before Tuesday but Tuesday confirmed that view. Let's not dress it up as anything else ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It was Brentford for God’s sake - what do people expect?

Brentford went to a Craven Cottage late last season when Fulham were 20 unbeaten with 11 wins in the last 12 home games playing unbelievable stuff. Brentford were the better team at times, playing Fulham off the park (the only team to do so all season) for periods and escaping with a 1-1.

Of course we were going to get battered! 1-0 a more than respectable scoreline for Championship sides going to GP, let alone a L2 team with our form.
solihullkev
Were you there ? Or basing on what you read or heard ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:Were you there ? Or basing on what you read or heard ?
The Fulham game or Cheltenham game?

If the latter, basing it on what I have read, and mostly having read what you yourself wrote in this thread.
solihullkev
Some folk have short memories - we are entitled to expect,like at Newcastle two seasons ago and hosting West Ham last year, that we give it a go. We gave Newcastle a fright and there were spells when we were in control and had chances.

It is extraordinary to suggest we cannot expect anything at a Champeionship club when under Gaz in the previous two seasons we had a plan against premier league clubs and gave it a go. If you were at Brentford you too would have concluded we were battered for the entire match and found few if any redeeming features
Robin
solihullkev wrote:I am sure Milton is a good guy ; but no evidence now in his third attempt he has what it takes as a manager. We could not handle Brentford and the bit I am uncomfortable about is if that team on tuesday had been managed by GJ he would have been slated for being tactically inept, no shots on goal and a bartering at the end. Simply unfair to suggest Milton has improved things

Russ ain't good enough to manage - we learned that long before Tuesday but Tuesday confirmed that view. Let's not dress it up as anything else ?

Careful Kev, you'll upset a few who think things are all well and good. This forum is over the past week is going a bit like Brexit, where we must blindy believe all will be ok even though just about everything suggests the opposite.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
solihullkev wrote:I am sure Milton is a good guy ; but no evidence now in his third attempt he has what it takes as a manager. We could not handle Brentford and the bit I am uncomfortable about is if that team on tuesday had been managed by GJ he would have been slated for being tactically inept, no shots on goal and a bartering at the end. Simply unfair to suggest Milton has improved things

Careful Kev, you'll upset a few who think things are all well and good. This forum is over the past week is going a bit like Brexit, where we must blindy believe all will be ok even though just about everything suggests the opposite.
Similarities are endless. Take the Eisa sale - no deal definitely better than a bad deal. A leader who looks nothing more than a lame duck interim. Boardroom statements followed by contradictory actions and statements days later. Horrendous queues for overpriced food.