Referee

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
When we get VAR at WR that useless fecker will be jobless.
Ihearye
Get my senile mother over and he would be jobless
Malabus
Pell dive (of the century) and the referee was fooled.....
How he didn’t give that foul on Dawson in the box, 2nd half, disgraced the game of soccer.
Ihearye
Malabus wrote:Pell dive (of the century) and the referee was fooled.....
How he didn’t give that foul on Dawson in the box, 2nd half, disgraced the game of soccer.
Dawson slipped , sorry
Malabus
Ihearye wrote:
Malabus wrote:Pell dive (of the century) and the referee was fooled.....
Dawson slipped , sorry
Non sense.
Johnsons Red Army
Not a penalty.
Benctfc
Nige got the ball for the first penalty it was a fair tackle however you just knew as soon as he went in for the tackle it would be given as the ref had no angle to see if he got the ball or not the lino who had the best view gave no foul but was over ruled. Im sorry but the Dawson incident was never a penalty the colchester player never touched him he lost his balance.
Johnsons Red Army
1st penalty was 100% correct too.
drgm
Yes I thought the first was a penalty. As for the second the Colchester player found himself between
two Cheltenham players and went to ground. Not a penalty in my view. Ref could not have had a clear
view of it but gave it anyway.
Malabus
Johnsons Red Army wrote:1st penalty was 100% correct too.
You know feck all about the game.
Robin
Have to say first penalty looked pretty clear to me behind the goal.
theidlerich
Have to disagree; from the S&B stand, Nige [?] clearly got to the ball first then Pells gangly legs! The lino should have overruled the
incompetent guy with the whistle.
Si Robin
First was never a pen, Nige definitely gets the ball before any contact with Pell. I sit on about 7 rows up in the Colin Farmer right by the steps at the very end by the Speedy Skips, and the incident was right in front of me. I can understand why the ref gave it, given his angle, but he has to listen to his assistant and his assistant has to have seen Nige get the ball.

I also agree that Dawson wasn't felled. He tried to be clever, and lost his footing, the Colchester lad didn't touch him.
Malabus
Si Robin wrote:I also agree that Dawson wasn't felled. He tried to be clever, and lost his footing, the Colchester lad didn't touch him.
Ha ha what!!
Penalty and red card for a dangerous tackle on Dawson.
Does anybody know the rules of the game on this forum.
Crikes...let’s hope there is footage available.
Johnsons Red Army
Malabus wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:1st penalty was 100% correct too.
You know feck all about the game.
I guess we will find out when the replays come out.

I'd wager on that I am right about both calls though, in which case I guess that would mean "you know feck all about the game"???
Alf
So we have people in the stand directly opposite the incident who had the same view as the lino saying it wasn’t a penalty and others saying that the ref ‘thought’ it was a penalty although he didn’t have the best view. He should not be giving a penalty unless he is 100% certain......no doubt just as he did with Dawson in the second half.
East End Robin
I don't normally like to blame to ref, but this one was poor. From where I was the first penalty was never a penalty, Atangana got the ball first. For the Dawson one, it looked a penalty, but their lad blocked my view of Dawson's legs, so I have no idea whether there was contact. Free kick looked a little soft. Second Colchester peno, didn't really see because I was watching the ball. My grandad was next to me and thinks it was soft.

Colchester had the ref in their back pocket though. Did nothing about the keeper's time wasting - the rules say he gets 6 seconds to release the ball when holding it, then a yellow card for time wasting. I counted 12 and he didn;t even get a telling off. I've seen this a lot before, it needs to be stamped out. The most telling moment was when Colchester just decided to bugger off for a drinks break and the ref just stood idly by
London Exile
I was stood in the PRE right in line with the incident and Nigel got a good piece of the ball. Ref may have had an obscured view but linesman should have helped him out. Awful decision in my opinion.
Doesn’t mask what was a terrible first half display where the damage was done
East End Robin
It's all fine margins though isn't it which is frustrating. The referee was poor, but so was out first half. If Barnett had buried that superb chance just before their third we'd have probably got a draw and deserved it
Ihearye
East End Robin wrote:It's all fine margins though isn't it which is frustrating. The referee was poor, but so was out first half. If Barnett had buried that superb chance just before their third we'd have probably got a draw and deserved it
Don't be telling RCS that ! all his friends and relatives believe we were mediocre in the second half, Thought Barnett looked like a potentially good signing. Albeit he should have put that one in the back of the net
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
East End Robin wrote:It's all fine margins though isn't it which is frustrating. The referee was poor, but so was out first half. If Barnett had buried that superb chance just before their third we'd have probably got a draw and deserved it
Don't be telling RCS that ! all his friends and relatives believe we were mediocre in the second half, Thought Barnett looked like a potentially good signing. Albeit he should have put that one in the back of the net
Football is a game of opinions - you have given yours, I have just passed on that of others.

No need to to mock me for reporting opinions in good faith - it is more likely to make me believe their view more than yours!
East End Robin
I hope Barnett turns out alright. I'll be honest I wasn't exactly awed by his performance, but he gives as a route one option, which is always helpful. From his interview it sounds like he has a point to prove, hope he does!
Alf
I’ve a feeling he may be a good signing for us. Even if he doesn’t score s#!t loads of goals he’s a big lad and will give defenders something to think about. Which reminds me, why did that twat of a referee think it was perfectly acceptable for their defenders to wrap their arms round Barnett at every set piece and not get picked up on it. Did anyone get a clear view of the handball penalty shout against them first half?
East End Robin
Giving a handball would have been harsh in my opinion, so I'll back the ref on that one.
tunnelvision
East End Robin wrote:Giving a handball would have been harsh in my opinion, so I'll back the ref on that one.
But not as harsh as the two he gave against us! :roll:
Alf
Malabus wrote:When we get VAR at WR that useless fecker will be jobless.
I suppose the Lino’s are the Stone Age version of VAR but the referee didn’t seem to bother consulting them.
Lord Elpuz
East End Robin wrote:I hope Barnett turns out alright. I'll be honest I wasn't exactly awed by his performance, but he gives as a route one option, which is always helpful. From his interview it sounds like he has a point to prove, hope he does!
I think we will be alright with Barnett; I liked his physical presence up top and when he came on, Colchester knew they faced a genuine threat within their comfort zone. He was winning his headers and chasing down defenders, and was unlucky with his big strike on goal. If that had gone in, he’d have had instant fan acclaim. I’m sure that will come.
little mo
Well Jon Palmer marked him 7 out of 10 in the Football Paper today.
Nesty
looking at the highlights I would say that there wasnt much to call between the 2 pens and the free kick, down the years I have seen worse fouls on our players waved away by referees
Shade
Disappointed the highlights don't show the Dawson incident.

First time Pell's dived in the box at Whaddon Road and won a penalty...usually got a yellow card when he was wearing red & white, just proving how bent the refs are.
Personally, I'd have said the first half handball was a penalty as well. There was a good 8 or 9 yards between player and ball and he had plenty of time to move his arm out of the way. Seen them given. Usually against us though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Disappointed the highlights don't show the Dawson incident.

First time Pell's dived in the box at Whaddon Road and won a penalty...usually got a yellow card when he was wearing red & white, just proving how bent the refs are.
Personally, I'd have said the first half handball was a penalty as well. There was a good 8 or 9 yards between player and ball and he had plenty of time to move his arm out of the way. Seen them given. Usually against us though.
Good to see someone else aware of the refereeing agenda against CTFC.
vickeryc
I try to put bias aside when considering referees' performances, but I am genuinely dumbfounded at how often the opposition get the rub of the green. I thought, at the time, that both of Colchester's penalties were incredibly harsh, and viewing the replays confirmed my original opinion. Nige got a foot on the ball before Pell fell over his leg, while the second penalty was a coming together of three players who were all going for the ball. I'm not saying any of our penalty shouts were more valid than theirs, but there was no certainty of infringement with either of their penalties so they should not have been awarded. Many other borderline decisions also went Colchester's way - a theme that has been occurring over a very long period. I can't explain why it happens with such regularity, but it makes it very difficult to get results when the officials are giving all the key decisions to the opposition. For a long time, I've felt we don't try to 'milk' decisions from the referee like many other sides do and just get on with the game. I don't condone play acting or bullying the ref, but such antics have been endemic in football for decades and I often wonder if Cheltenham have suffered from playing 'too fair'.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:I try to put bias aside when considering referees' performances, but I am genuinely dumbfounded at how often the opposition get the rub of the green. I thought, at the time, that both of Colchester's penalties were incredibly harsh, and viewing the replays confirmed my original opinion. Nige got a foot on the ball before Pell fell over his leg, while the second penalty was a coming together of three players who were all going for the ball. I'm not saying any of our penalty shouts were more valid than theirs, but there was no certainty of infringement with either of their penalties so they should not have been awarded. Many other borderline decisions also went Colchester's way - a theme that has been occurring over a very long period. I can't explain why it happens with such regularity, but it makes it very difficult to get results when the officials are giving all the key decisions to the opposition. For a long time, I've felt we don't try to 'milk' decisions from the referee like many other sides do and just get on with the game. I don't condone play acting or bullying the ref, but such antics have been endemic in football for decades and I often wonder if Cheltenham have suffered from playing 'too fair'.
Trouble is when we try to match the oppo for gamesmanship the refs start dishing us out yellows and reds.

As you observe, the uneven refereeing, whether deliberate or subconscious, has been going on for years.
Shade
FGR manager feels the same way, going by his interview on Radio Glos after their game the previous weekend. Maybe it's that the smaller clubs don't get the decisions of the refs, as a lot of people have felt for years. I'm going to keep an eye on this particularly this season to see how the refs perform in games between us and the perceived bigger teams and teams towards the top, and against teams like Morecambe, Macclesfield and FGR. I bet the refs seem fairer in games against those latter three, whether we win, lose or draw.
Malabus
This was how bad the referee was last week.
https://twitter.com/jonwaldron1/status/ ... 91392?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;