Calling Jon Palmer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Described yesterday as one of the most important days in the club's history and yet no reporting whatsoever on who the runners and riders are and when an announcement is likely. I find that both surprising and disappointing.

Is it that you don't know Jon or you have taken a vow of omertà ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think silence until after Saturday; if we win Russ gets it.
Shade
I think that we don't know anything and should just wait patiently like good little children.
solihullkev
A reporter's job is surely to report. If they declare the day as being so momentous it seems extraordinary to get radio silence on the appointment, but coverage on the Tuffley Rovers score ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:A reporter's job is surely to report. If they declare the day as being so momentous it seems extraordinary to get radio silence on the appointment, but coverage on the Tuffley Rovers score ?
He probably has his puff piece about Milton written ready for if we win on Saturday.
solihullkev
The political positioning of some of JP's articles since the start of the season (Johnson to go ; give Milton a third chance ; we need a former player as manager) have been both interesting and concerning in some respects. Straightforward up to date reporting would be welcomed rather than perpetual spinning.
THECHOIRBOY
solihullkev wrote:A reporter's job is surely to report. If they declare the day as being so momentous it seems extraordinary to get radio silence on the appointment, but coverage on the Tuffley Rovers score ?
Yet many have a go when he reports on potential signings that we miss out on!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:The political positioning of some of JP's articles since the start of the season (Johnson to go ; give Milton a third chance ; we need a former player as manager) have been both interesting and concerning in some respects. Straightforward up to date reporting would be welcomed rather than perpetual spinning.
His own views or lines fed by AW?
solihullkev
I understand the need for caution regarding the reporting on signings ; but a new manager ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:I understand the need for caution regarding the reporting on signings ; but a new manager ?
The thing is, the Board clearly are considering Russ and waiting until Saturday. If JP writes today that x and y experienced managers were interviewed and then we win 1-0 on Saturday and Russ gets the job, before losing four games 3-0 in a row the furore from fans knowing we turned down two better options would be considerable.

This way JP is avoiding writing something he will have to row back on, and protecting the Board from a scenario as described above.

His articles you refer too about Russ making an impact, and the new man must be an ex-Robin were just precursors.
solihullkev
If Russ is appointed (and I cannot believe any sane rational board would appoint him) then I will have lost the little confidence I had in this board. Great chap I am sure, hopeless manager and leader.

JP's articles post FGR match, refusing to attribute anything to Russ by way of blame, were shameful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
solihullkev wrote:If Russ is appointed (and I cannot believe any sane rational board would appoint him) then I will have lost the little confidence I had in this board. Great chap I am sure, hopeless manager and leader.

JP's articles post FGR match, refusing to attribute anything to Russ by way of blame, were shameful.
Today’s interview was box-ticking pants as well.
Robin
Jon is a fantastic reporter for the club and I cannot praise him enough but I do feel some of his articles recently have crossed the line and become too close to club proganda especially the nonsense about appointing former players.
solihullkev
It would be disappointing if he is in the pocket of the board and equally disappointing if he views his allegiance to them rather than the readership (who are the supporters on the whole).
Artemis
It could be that the board have a preferred candidate and are now doing due diligence or sorting out financial matters - salary, length of contract, budget, compensation.....and there is genuinely no news. So rather than make s#!t up, JP's doing the decent thing.
Who knows....
Shade
It's quite funny. JP does an opinion piece on how CTFC need a former player as the new manager and gets lambasted by some. Then, when he doesn't put a new story or opinion piece up, he gets lambasted. I guess it doesn't matter whether you're a player, manager, board member, chairman or news reporter - nobody is safe from the wrath of CTFC fans. Even some of the fans. I'm just amazed there aren't punch-ups between CTFC fans in the PRE every match.

I'd rather no news than something made up to fill a gap.
solihullkev
I am not after an opinion piece ; a straightforward "these are the candidates" piece is all that is needed. We just need the facts, we can then form our own opinion
horlickfanclub
If he doesn't know the facts he can't write about them.
Shade
Exactly. If he doesn't know for a fact who the candidates are then it would just be another opinion piece. Either that or he's been asked to keep it quiet for one reason or another.
I-Love-CTFC
Latest update from Jon Palmer: Cheltenham Town are close to appointing a new manager following Wednesday’s interviews. The new boss could be at Saturday’s match against Northampton Town, but Russell Milton will be in charge of the team at Sixfields.
Horteng
The whole situation is becoming a joke.

Desperate to sack GJ on that Tuesday night 150 odd miles away from home yet no obvious back up plan.

Worst of all is the total lack of communication and what appears to be little regard of the fans from the club.

Russell in his interview (allegedly) doesn’t know if he will be in charge this week or not. It all appears very amateur
Nesty
Horteng wrote:The whole situation is becoming a joke.

Desperate to sack GJ on that Tuesday night 150 odd miles away from home yet no obvious back up plan.

Worst of all is the total lack of communication and what appears to be little regard of the fans from the club.

Russell in his interview (allegedly) doesn’t know if he will be in charge this week or not. It all appears very amateur
everything this club does ends up drawn out, like us trying to sign Rowe, but on the matter of appointing the new pope oops manager I would rather they took their time and got the right man, than rush in like we did with Buckle and Allen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:

everything this club does ends up drawn out, like us trying to sign Rowe, but on the matter of appointing the new pope oops manager I would rather they took their time and got the right man, than rush in like we did with Buckle and Allen.
The right person might always be available next week. If we search for another month we find someone better...you have to draw a line at some point.
Horteng
Nesty wrote:

That’s fine. But communicate whilst doing so
Artemis
Communicate what? We're looking for a new manager and interviewed some candidates? Hardly news!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Communicate what? We're looking for a new manager and interviewed some candidates? Hardly news!
Not news per se but re-assurance. I would suggest a statement along the lines of:

“We are pleased to have interviewed X potential managers today. There was a real mix of experience and ideas and now the Board are making a final decision. We want to get this right so Russ will be in charge on Saturday although we hope the next manager will be able to attend. We’d like to thank all the applicants for wanting to be part of CTFC and we look forward to announcing the new manager to the fans and introducing them to the players on Monday.”

That gives clarity on the situation. Currently we only have hearsay that interviews have even happened, let alone anything else.