Cotterill bookies favourite

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Ihearye wrote:While walking the dogs this morning gave this all some more thought. If the next manager had been grounded in L2 made his way up as a player to the highesst standard and been retained by a premiership team as part of their coaching staff. I would probably be happy to get him onbaord with fresh ideas etc. I shouldn't let the fact he is one of our own, see this as a negative move.
As for Bokkie, no evidence he has turned flinderrs into a better keeper. He didn't have much impact with the previois one
Who are Bokkie and flinders? :lol: Sounds like a 70's tv cop show!
Ihearye
:) walking touchscreen and trying to keep my eyes on these two! Far too much multi tasking for accuracy!
vickeryc
Haha, fair enough. I can't multi task either!
Robin
My order of preference as follows:
1) Nicholson/Duff. Both a bit of a gamble but could be the man to come in with a new approach, steady us this year and hopefully get us promoted next year.
2) Davis. Would play good football, develop young players, and only candidate who has won promotion from league two. His time at Orient leaves a black mark.
3) Curle. Short term stop gap. He would get us winning ugly and organised but I don't see us getting promoted under him.
4) Devaney. I honestly don't see why he's even in contention other than he used to play for us.
5) Milton. I believe this would be a disaster after three poor spells as caretaker.
Red Duke
I noticed that CTFC have tweeted about Johnny Mullins talking to the press. Normally, this would follow the Manager's. Maybe it is because there will be one later today with the new Manager?
horlickfanclub
The ex player candidates mentioned are all in a job are dismissed by some. The others some have tipped are unemployed. I wonder why.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:My order of preference as follows:
1) Nicholson/Duff. Both a bit of a gamble but could be the man to come in with a new approach, steady us this year and hopefully get us promoted next year.
2) Davis. Would play good football, develop young players, and only candidate who has won promotion from league two. His time at Orient leaves a black mark.
3) Curle. Short term stop gap. He would get us winning ugly and organised but I don't see us getting promoted under him.
4) Devaney. I honestly don't see why he's even in contention other than he used to play for us.
5) Milton. I believe this would be a disaster after three poor spells as caretaker.
Nicholson strikes me as a potentially imaginative choice.
Red Duke
MH has just tweeted that RM is doing the presser so he should be still be in cahrge of team affairs on Saturday.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:MH has just tweeted that RM is doing the presser so he should be still be in cahrge of team affairs on Saturday.
The stagnation continues. We could be in the bottom two before the new manager is in.

(Unless RM is the new man).
MittonRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Red Duke wrote:MH has just tweeted that RM is doing the presser so he should be still be in cahrge of team affairs on Saturday.
The stagnation continues. We could be in the bottom two before the new manager is in.

(Unless RM is the new man).
To be honest this is all beginning to feel like a Cartoon. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Throwing games away for fun at the moment. RM is not the right man and neither are his staff. Get Rid and start fresh NOW! its a must before its all too late ( SOON IT WILL BE )
Sprout Picker
Robin wrote:My order of preference as follows:
Can't argue with any of this assuming these are the names in the mix.

Nicholson or Duff would both be interesting appointments - younger guys with decent coaching experience and qualifications who are ambitious.

Would be great to see one of them form a successful partnership with the new chairman in the same way that SC had with PB.
Shade
I'm just getting fed up of it still being a debate.

Appoint someone! Appoint anyone!
I-Love-CTFC
Odds now back up on Sky Bet. Bookies seem to think it's between Duff and Curle.
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/22689247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paperboy
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Odds now back up on Sky Bet. Bookies seem to think it's between Duff and Curle.
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-s ... t/22689247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The significant odds are those of Russ at 14/1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Duff looks nailed on.
itsallbollox
I don't efin care anymore, it's gone on far to long we are fast becoming a laughing stock. GET IT FU##ING SORTED.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Duff looks nailed on.
Certainly looks like it, 8/15 on.
RichardMoss
Ihearye wrote:While walking the dogs this morning gave this all some more thought. If the next manager had been grounded in L2 made his way up as a player to the highesst standard and been retained by a premiership team as part of their coaching staff. I would probably be happy to get him onbaord with fresh ideas etc. I shouldn't let the fact he is one of our own, see this as a negative move.
As for Bokkie, no evidence he has turned flinderrs into a better keeper. He didn't have much impact with the previois one
I didn’t say he made him into a better keeper but if something isn’t broke don’t fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I-Love-CTFC
Duff now 1/6!
Ihearye
RichardMoss wrote:
I didn’t say he made him into a better keeper but if something isn’t broke don’t fix it

Fair enough, so ....... what he might be doing right....... is doing nothing ? That is if we agree there is a possibility he hasn't improved Flinders? ;)
Ihearye
little mo wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Duff looks nailed on.
Certainly looks like it, 8/15 on.
However..... seems very strange to open up the book again, even with short odds. If indeed nailed on, then it is a licence to print money (as long as no restrictions on bets)
RichardMoss
Ihearye wrote:
RichardMoss wrote:

Fair enough, so ....... what he might be doing right....... is doing nothing ? That is if we agree there is a possibility he hasn't improved Flinders? ;)
He’s obviously doing a good job with Lovett and even though he may not have necessarily improved flinders, he does seem to be getting the best out of him. Having said that however we haven’t really seen good reason for his nickname ‘butter flinders’ so you could argue that bookie has improved him?

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think best to ignore the “Butter Flinders” remarks. As with those on here who took great glee in calling Scotty “Coco the Brown”, it has more to do with the nature of the ‘fans’ in question looking for any opportunity to belittle and mock their own players than it does with the player’s ability.
vickeryc
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think best to ignore the “Butter Flinders” remarks. As with those on here who took great glee in calling Scotty “Coco the Brown”, it has more to do with the nature of the ‘fans’ in question looking for any opportunity to belittle and mock their own players than it does with the player’s ability.
Hear hear. Some people perversely seem to be happier fuelling their own ego by making 'clever' remarks about players than being constructively critical towards the club they allegedly support. When challenged for being so crass, the usual retort is that the 'rose tinters' are trying to muzzle the concerns of real supporters. All I'll say is that all fans get frustrated, but there are ways of expressing it without belittling players. Such comments are needlessly caustic and negative, and are potentially damaging to the team's morale. What's the point of doing that?
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think best to ignore the “Butter Flinders” remarks. As with those on here who took great glee in calling Scotty “Coco the Brown”, it has more to do with the nature of the ‘fans’ in question looking for any opportunity to belittle and mock their own players than it does with the player’s ability.
Well said.
everyman
I-Love-CTFC wrote:Duff now 1/6!
If Duff doesn`t become our manager i will begin to suspect he was never a serious option,just as the striker Rowe, who we were told was never close to signing.Someone wants us to think they have genuine ambition for our club when it has just been a P.R. stunt.And before anyone asks ! Why should we trust someone we don`t know ?
Robin
Duff has been offered the role and was interviewed. I also understand he spent Friday down at CTFC but the issue is on the Burnley end (potential compensation/Dyche making things difficult).
Si Robin
Have it on good authority it's purely a compensation issue. They want money, we're not prepared to pay - or at least not what they want.
Robin
That's more or less what I heard, Dyche wants him to stay and they are wraggling for compensation. Thing is even small compensation may be a lot for us for example £100k is peanuts for them.
Si Robin
All agreed, press conference in next day or two - slightly more than what they paid us for him.
slinky_dog
I think it reflects poorly on Burnley if they hold out for compensation. Given the service that he has delivered to them, he should walk away with their blessing and best wishes.

I wonder if it is more likely that they don't want to lose him and they are offering him a "promotion" in order to stay. Not sure what sort of structure there is below Dyche. Perhaps he is being offered an assistant manager type role....
kiaora84
And some said he was the cheap option...will be finalised tomorrow
art vandalay
Perhaps we could offer them a friendly.
Red Duke
art vandalay wrote:Perhaps we could offer them a friendly.
don't forget the pork scratchings!