Michael Duff ahead of Crewe at home

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Interview can be read/watched in full here: http://bit.ly/DuffPreCrewe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
one word............... refreshing
Shade
Well it would be refreshing at the start. Just wait 6 months and see if it's still the same old same old, because 90% of pre-match interviews are the same old questions with the same old answers. That's just the way it is. There's only so much that can be said.
paperboy
Shade wrote:Well it would be refreshing at the start. Just wait 6 months and see if it's still the same old same old, because 90% of pre-match interviews are the same old questions with the same old answers. That's just the way it is. There's only so much that can be said.
Agree so much.

Nice to hear a new voice all the same.
Managers must detest the mandatory interviews,but at least the gaffer :-) is a realist and reminds me of Yatesey in that respect.
Robin
I always liked GJ in his interviews myself, he was normally positive brought some charisma and you could feel his drive to succeed. Yates was probably one of the worst in recent times with his same old drivel about watching the DVD whilst Allen was just clueless.
Malabus
2nd interview with arms crossed. This is a sign that he’s being protective. Like to see him a little more relaxed.
Shade
Malabus wrote:2nd interview with arms crossed. This is a sign that he’s being protective. Like to see him a little more relaxed.
Or he might just be comfortable like that because the chair hasn't got arms in it. Body language is, at least 75% of the time, a load of balls.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:I always liked GJ in his interviews myself, he was normally positive brought some charisma and you could feel his drive to succeed. Yates was probably one of the worst in recent times with his same old drivel about watching the DVD whilst Allen was just clueless.
I always found GJ quite chirpy when things were going well, but hard-nosed when things got a bit rough. Some of his comments about the fans towards the end of his tenure were unnecessary for example. He did like to make jokes though and I've got a lot of time for that.

Yates isn't helped by his accent and demeanour, he just never seemed inspiring.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Like my managers looking away from the camera, lollipop in mouth.
longmover
He talks very well and can tell he's been at a premier league club in the way he deals with media, didn't realise he had such an accent, he didn't have that the first time around did he?
Ihearye
Not expecting any road to Damascus events tomorrow. Just every man knowing his job and busting a gut to do it
Shade
longmover wrote:He talks very well and can tell he's been at a premier league club in the way he deals with media, didn't realise he had such an accent, he didn't have that the first time around did he?
I'm struggling to hear an accent - what accent does it sound like to you?
Robin
Sounds very Cheltonian to me (although he's technically from the Cotswold rather than from the Town.
horlickfanclub
Not remotely Cheltonian.
Ben3
Rubbish!!!!

Duff out
Nesty
we need to make it Fortress Whaddon Road again
longmover
Shade wrote:
longmover wrote:He talks very well and can tell he's been at a premier league club in the way he deals with media, didn't realise he had such an accent, he didn't have that the first time around did he?
I'm struggling to hear an accent - what accent does it sound like to you?
Northern, soft Lancashire or Yorkshire, can make it out
Artemis
Duff was born in Belfast and grew up in North Yorkshire before making the move south as a teenager (source: Wikipedia). Which explains his largely (North) Yorkshire accent.
Robin
I thought he moved to the Cotswolds from a very young age although he was born in Northern Ireland.
Shade
"Although born in Belfast Duff was raised in Bedale, North Yorkshire. He as a school boy and he represented North Yorkshire and joined the Darlington Football Club School of Excellence before moving to Cheltenham in 1994."

"Michael’s youth career took off in the academy of Darlington, where the footballer started to learn football in all its minutest details and perform for the junior squad of the club. In 1995, Duff moved to the youth system of Carterton Town and managed to finish his preparations for a professional level by 1996."

Moved to the area when he was 15/16 according to those.
Artemis
I'm sure I read somewhere a long time ago, that his father was in the RAF, hence the moving about the country.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere a long time ago, that his father was in the RAF, hence the moving about the country.
RAF Leeming just the other side of the A1(M) from Bedale so makes sense.
Artemis
And Brize Norton next to Carterton.