Michael Duff ahead of Exeter City away

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Watch/read the full interview here: http://bit.ly/DuffPreExeter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
good interview, lots of positive intent.
Ben3
Delighted with this, our new manger of less than two weeks is positive about the next game

Breath of fresh air

Fresh broom

#bringbackparsons
plymrob
Last post - Let's hope so.

It's my one, currently, and only chance to see the Robins. Twenty years down and I cannot recall a good result at Exeter. There's been a few missed years though.. thanks to Exeter going one way and Cheltenham the other...

Come on guys. Let's turn up on Saturday. I need to travel with optimism - even if just down the road! Shamefully, I am not too optimistic. Scoring a goal would be good but... and let's just hope it's not embarrassing. This is a call to arms.

As a footnote and, dare I say it, but Troy Brown had some good games for us -v- Exeter. Generally disliked on this site, but what ever happened to him...?
asl
I remember Disco getting scythed down about half-way, did a forward roll, ref waved play on and he ran through to score. Won 2-0 that day, I think? He may even have scored both.
CTFC03
Troy Brown plays for Exeter but is injured.
Ihearye
The issue that particularly resonated with me, was how MD continually brings up fitness. Here we are almost in October and they are still not 'football' fit! What has been going on since end of June? If I was part of the backroom staff or the ex manager I would feel slightly awkward listening to that.
Ben3
Too true ihearye, I have never come across a situation when a new manager blames the previous one thus creating an excuse if it takes time for results to turn around

It’s that type of stunning analysis that I keep coming back to. Brilliant insight

#bringbackmurphy
Robin
Exeter were always our whipping so we need to restore that natural order as the last few games have been super poor against them. I'm expecting a draw as we've not done that and Duff is setting up the team to be organised first and foremost.
vickeryc
Our playing record against Exeter is intriguing. We won the first 9 games, drew the tenth, and have lost the last 6. We have to stop the rot!
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote:The issue that particularly resonated with me, was how MD continually brings up fitness. Here we are almost in October and they are still not 'football' fit! What has been going on since end of June? If I was part of the backroom staff or the ex manager I would feel slightly awkward listening to that.
I thought exactly the same, as MD has mentioned it in more than one interview. Clearly he needs to quickly get to the reason the team is not winning games, and I think that’s the clue.

My first thought was whether it was a side-swipe at the previous manager, and of course the backroom staff/fitness & conditioning set-up, the latter of which is still here and very well respected.

Looking at our results, we’ve only been narrowly beaten in the games we’ve lost.

I think what Mick Duff is doing here, is not pointing the finger at any particular individuals where there will be fitness/football fitness issues, but he is making out that it’s a collective issue, to keep knowledge of the key issues in-house.

Looking at the results again, it’s pretty clear that we are not scoring goals and if you look at the strikers that have arrived this summer, they all came in from late July, therefore missing pre-season and the friendlies. We’ve also had major interruptions to Hussey and Long’s preparations too.

That, I suspect, is the Football fit/fitness Mr Duff is referring to and I would doubt that it’s a bigger issue across the rest of the team, because if it is the whole of the team that is not properly fit, then that wouldn’t bode well for the fitness/conditioning regime, and I don’t think, and sincerely hope that’s not, the case.

The only caveat on that, is MD may require a higher level of fitness because he wants to play a pressing game style. It was evident in the Crewe game that our side were all very quick to close down the opposition when Crewe were in possession. Not all managers favour this style of play because it is demanding on players and can lead to more strains and injuries.

The upcoming league game against FGR should be rather interesting, with FGR tippy-tappy passing the ball to death (classic “letting the ball do the work”) and our players right in their faces. Two potentially very contrasting styles of play.
Shade
I think you'll find that the fitness amongst those that have been playing regularly and were here in pre-season is fine. It's all of the loans, players that came in at the end of the loan window that weren't getting games anywhere else, and those that have been injured like Hussey and Long that are catching up with fitness. I don't think it has anything to do with the way our players have been trained since July 1st. Broom, Mullins, Boyle, Atangana, Duku and the others that were here early are fine for lasting 90+ minutes. Alcock, Barnett, and players that regularly pick up injuries like Dawson, are the ones that have to be worked on.
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote:Too true ihearye, I have never come across a situation when a new manager blames the previous one thus creating an excuse if it takes time for results to turn around

It’s that type of stunning analysis that I keep coming back to. Brilliant insight

#bringbackmurphy
No idea what point you are attempting to make
CTFC03
It does make me wonder what Johnson was getting up to in the summer, bonkers how he's made a right mess of it with Duff & Milton having to clear it all up, would be great to get at least a draw tomorrow but three points will build confidence hugely for us going into the Lincoln game.
Nesty
CTFC03 wrote:It does make me wonder what Johnson was getting up to in the summer, bonkers how he's made a right mess of it with Duff & Milton having to clear it all up, would be great to get at least a draw tomorrow but three points will build confidence hugely for us going into the Lincoln game.
I dont just blame GJ, some of the trouble has been caused by boardroom handover and the late sale of Mo.
longmover
CTFC03 wrote:It does make me wonder what Johnson was getting up to in the summer.
Starts in ££££ and ends in £££££
Robin
Pre-season was a mess in hindsight, no real structure too it. Whilst early recruitment was very good there was no shape or formation just signing players and try to find something that works for them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Pre-season was a mess in hindsight, no real structure too it. Whilst early recruitment was very good there was no shape or formation just signing players and try to find something that works for them.
I know right. Signing an experienced centre back, and experienced left and right backs with seemingly no plan where to play them was baffling. Mullins must have been shocked to have been told to line up in the centre of defence.
Ben3
Since duff has come in and started playing square pegs in square holes the season has transformed!! Mullins at centre half, who’d have thought!

All sarcasm aside, when is the point We can turn our ire to the new manager? There’ll be plenty on here just itching for that. Losing to FGR perhaps (20 Oct)?

I’d love to know what posters think the opposition think befor playing Cheltenham. ‘Oh, we’re playing Cheltenham, so-and-so who posts regularly on an anonymous forum wants them to win. Let’s not try this week.’

This site needs a disclaimer: football is a sport and you team can win OR lose
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:Since duff has come in and started playing square pegs in square holes the season has transformed!! Mullins at centre half, who’d have thought!

All sarcasm aside, when is the point We can turn our ire to the new manager? There’ll be plenty on here just itching for that. Losing to FGR perhaps (20 Oct)?

I’d love to know what posters think the opposition think befor playing Cheltenham. ‘Oh, we’re playing Cheltenham, so-and-so who posts regularly on an anonymous forum wants them to win. Let’s not try this week.’

This site needs a disclaimer: football is a sport and you team can win OR lose
I want a refund if we don’t start the FGR game with a plan and hexagonal pegs in hexagonal holes.
Shade
I often wonder where square pegs are supposed to play. Poor buggers have been discriminated against for along time.
plymrob
From the Exeter programme - before this weekend.

Goals 15Ex v 6Chelt.
Per Game 1.9 v 0.8
% goals to shots = 23.1 to 10.3

These three stats kind of sum up my experiences. First half Saturday was a bit weird. But in the second half we looked what we are generally are and, most definitely, what we certainly are. No hiding place.

Broom was MOM. Nigel was OK, until the mistake, but it was just a matter of time.

I thought 4-0. So 3-1 was better than I expected. We are poor though.
Shade
Well that's optimistic 2 games into the new managers reign...jesus.

The fact we've only scored 10.8% of chances I see as a positive, in that the chances are being made. If we'd scored 6 goals and had a conversion rate of 80% then I'd be very worried.
plymrob
Sorry. Did i call the manager?

Anyone there might just say Exeter were poor first half and turned up second. Normal service after half time. I wiill stick to my guns with my all seeing one game confidence. We are probably pretty poor ourselves - but no scapegoats.

That's not having a go at anyone, but it's pretty obvious to me. I look forward to being corrected.

COYR