Summer signings - thoughts so far?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I have seen a few comments on here criticising poor summer recruitment and I feel our issues are perhaps elsewhere so here are my thoughts on which players have done well and which haven't. It's still early so I am sure a few can move box and a number are the middle purely because they have hardly had a chance.

HITS
Johnny Mullins - our best outfield player this season in my opinion had he been here last season I'd wager we would have finished in the top[ half.
Craig Alcock - only played two games but consensus has been he's solid, great experience and exactly what we need. Will likely improve with games too.
Ryan Broom - Another who has performed well in a number of different positions too.
Jacob Maddox - seems to be a great find, can carry the ball and has more about him that Sellars who he replaced.
Manny Duku - perhaps a controversial selection but he's scored, works hard and is only going to get better. I never expected him to be a regular starter given the jump up but he's done fine in the games I've seen.
Tyronne Barnett - Not yet scored but leads the line and a player we could have done with last season along side Eisa.

JURY STILL OUT
Chris Hussey - was class at Maccesfield and likely will be when fit the issue has been injuries.
Sean Long - the forgotten man, on face of it looks a good signing but now we have Forster and Alcock I am not sure how he gets into the team when back.
Tom Field - a signing I was excited about. Did fine when I saw him, clearly Hussey is first choice but the fact Alcock is being selected at left back ahead of him may not bode well.
Connor Thomas - An ok player sort of player you have to make up the squad but probably won't be a regular starter.
Alex Addei - looked a real find early in the season but was banished to the freezer following GJ sacking, you'd imagine he will be shown the door in January unless something changes which seems a shame.
Tom Smith - Another who looked OK in pre-season then went into the freezer when GJ was sacked. I genuinely don't feel he was given a chance here but expect him to join Bath in January
Chris Clements - odd signing given we had decent numbers in there but seems to have replaced Thomas as cover on the bench. Apparently was very bad at FGR in the reserve cup game.
Kalvin Kalala - one player who can make things happen but seems to drift in and out of the squad. Can beat a man so well and needs coaching, I don't expect him to start every week but I'd like to see him from the bench.
Kelsey Mooney

FLOP
Josh Debayo - was tore apart at Tranmere and banished to the freezer afterwards.
Aden Baldwin - such an odd signing, did ok when he came on against Crewe in fairness but no better than we have and I assuem only here because he was a cheap family favour.
Ben Tozer - An experienced league two player and likely to be on a decent wage but seemingly signed without a plan on how we would fit him into a balanced mdifield.
Sam Jones - A signing which excited me but he's been terrible and lazy in too many games, I suspect he may join the others in the freezer soon.
Liam McAlinden - I still can't get my head around this signing on a two year deal. Almost as if it was a total panic signing worried we may not sign a striker even with £1.5 million in the bank.

Agree or disagree with my assessment?
horlickfanclub
Alcock played because Field was injured. Tozer has also had a bit of paternity leave . Flop is an appalling word. None of these players have flopped.
Robin
If none are a flop why do people complain about summer recruitment and why are we struggling in the league?
asl
McCoulsky flopped. Never really started, for me. Big disappointment.
drgm
Jeez - that's twenty players signed in the summer -twenty! Far too many.
Some of these are on two years deals.
We must be eating into the Eisa money

Pretty good assessment Robin
Andy
You missed a new summer recruit off the list Robin.

Andy Wilcox - hit, Jury still out or a flop?

:) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shade
I'd disagree with saying Jones has been "terrible and lazy in too many games". It's just the last one, as far as I'm aware.
Lord Elpuz
Shade wrote:I'd disagree with saying Jones has been "terrible and lazy in too many games". It's just the last one, as far as I'm aware.
Agreed. At this level players will have off days.

It’s often the case that fans need a reason or a scapegoat for a defeat and against Exeter it would appear that Jones fell into that category. Hopefully he will redeem himself pretty quickly so as not to become the fans boo-boy.
Johnsons Red Army
I imagine quite a number of posters are simply repeating what they heard on the radio too. BBC Radio Glos. didn't hold back on what they thought of his performance and perceived lack of effort against Exeter.
Shade
Johnsons Red Army wrote:I imagine quite a number of posters are simply repeating what they heard on the radio too. BBC Radio Glos. didn't hold back on what they thought of his performance and perceived lack of effort against Exeter.
That's no reason to stretch the truth into him being bad in a number of games rather than just the one.
kora
I've seen every minute he's been on the pitch and he hasn't broken sweat yet. Even at Cambridge when he scored the tap in there was no real effort. MD said he wanted to see sweat on shirts, he certainly hasn't seen much on Jones's.
Johnsons Red Army
Shade wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:I imagine quite a number of posters are simply repeating what they heard on the radio too. BBC Radio Glos. didn't hold back on what they thought of his performance and perceived lack of effort against Exeter.
That's no reason to stretch the truth into him being bad in a number of games rather than just the one.
Fully agree if that is in fact the case (I haven't seen all of his games so I will reserve judgement).
Robin
Shade wrote:I'd disagree with saying Jones has been "terrible and lazy in too many games". It's just the last one, as far as I'm aware.
I thought he was lazy and very poor against Crewe and by all accounts (from those at the game and the radio commentators) against Exeter he was even worse.
longmover
Robin wrote:I have seen a few comments on here criticising poor summer recruitment and I feel our issues are perhaps elsewhere so here are my thoughts on which players have done well and which haven't. It's still early so I am sure a few can move box and a number are the middle purely because they have hardly had a chance.

HITS
Johnny Mullins - our best outfield player this season in my opinion had he been here last season I'd wager we would have finished in the top[ half.
Craig Alcock - only played two games but consensus has been he's solid, great experience and exactly what we need. Will likely improve with games too.
Ryan Broom - Another who has performed well in a number of different positions too.
Jacob Maddox - seems to be a great find, can carry the ball and has more about him that Sellars who he replaced.
Manny Duku - perhaps a controversial selection but he's scored, works hard and is only going to get better. I never expected him to be a regular starter given the jump up but he's done fine in the games I've seen.
Tyronne Barnett - Not yet scored but leads the line and a player we could have done with last season along side Eisa.

JURY STILL OUT
Chris Hussey - was class at Maccesfield and likely will be when fit the issue has been injuries.
Sean Long - the forgotten man, on face of it looks a good signing but now we have Forster and Alcock I am not sure how he gets into the team when back.
Tom Field - a signing I was excited about. Did fine when I saw him, clearly Hussey is first choice but the fact Alcock is being selected at left back ahead of him may not bode well.
Connor Thomas - An ok player sort of player you have to make up the squad but probably won't be a regular starter.
Alex Addei - looked a real find early in the season but was banished to the freezer following GJ sacking, you'd imagine he will be shown the door in January unless something changes which seems a shame.
Tom Smith - Another who looked OK in pre-season then went into the freezer when GJ was sacked. I genuinely don't feel he was given a chance here but expect him to join Bath in January
Chris Clements - odd signing given we had decent numbers in there but seems to have replaced Thomas as cover on the bench. Apparently was very bad at FGR in the reserve cup game.
Kalvin Kalala - one player who can make things happen but seems to drift in and out of the squad. Can beat a man so well and needs coaching, I don't expect him to start every week but I'd like to see him from the bench.
Kelsey Mooney

FLOP
Josh Debayo - was tore apart at Tranmere and banished to the freezer afterwards.
Aden Baldwin - such an odd signing, did ok when he came on against Crewe in fairness but no better than we have and I assuem only here because he was a cheap family favour.
Ben Tozer - An experienced league two player and likely to be on a decent wage but seemingly signed without a plan on how we would fit him into a balanced mdifield.
Sam Jones - A signing which excited me but he's been terrible and lazy in too many games, I suspect he may join the others in the freezer soon.
Liam McAlinden - I still can't get my head around this signing on a two year deal. Almost as if it was a total panic signing worried we may not sign a striker even with £1.5 million in the bank.
How any manager can justify this amount of signings without some serious question being asked why, was quite worrying.
Robin
14 under GJ, five under Russ and one sanctioned under Mike Duff (but could be down to Russ/GJ) is how I make that. Incredibly we are still trialling players and rumours abound that we will look to sign 2-3 in January too.
Nesty
longmover wrote:
Robin wrote:I have seen a few comments on here criticising poor summer recruitment and I feel our issues are perhaps elsewhere so here are my thoughts on which players have done well and which haven't. It's still early so I am sure a few can move box and a number are the middle purely because they have hardly had a chance.

HITS

JURY STILL OUT
Kelsey Mooney

FLOP
How any manager can justify this amount of signings without some serious question being asked why, was quite worrying.

even more worrying is the number of those in the various sections GJ signed on 2 year deals.
The plethora of full backs is also baffling, most injured, we seem to have 3 levels of cover and yet are forced to play Forster at RB.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
longmover wrote:

HITS

JURY STILL OUT
Kelsey Mooney

FLOP

even more worrying is the number of those in the various sections GJ signed on 2 year deals.
The plethora of full backs is also baffling, most injured, we seem to have 3 levels of cover and yet are forced to play Forster at RB.
The thing is, if they were all on one year deals then they would be replaced next season in equal volume.
Ihearye
The skill is giving 2 year deals to people who are proven and you know will be in the team or those that are young and have potential. Any grey areas, of which we have a few, should be on one years or maybe not even here?
ctfc-fan
To be fair, everyone moans when a good one is signed on a short term deal and asks ‘why not longer’ and as soon as GJ did this everyone moans again. He couldn’t win in that respect.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:The skill is giving 2 year deals to people who are proven and you know will be in the team or those that are young and have potential. Any grey areas, of which we have a few, should be on one years or maybe not even here?
That is the skill, but if only football in real life was as easy as it sounds.
Ihearye
That's a curious statement. So if you employ a plasterer and all the plaster falls off the walls. Would he come back with 'it's a skill mate, but real life is different'? If he did would you accept it?
Likewise you employ a football manager, because that he the skill he is supposed to have, building and managing a football team. That is his real life. Surely if you can't translate your aparent skill into real life, you would soon find yourself without a job?
horlickfanclub
...or in Conference South.
Robin
ctfc-fan wrote:To be fair, everyone moans when a good one is signed on a short term deal and asks ‘why not longer’ and as soon as GJ did this everyone moans again. He couldn’t win in that respect.
Yes and equally we have Kalvin, Addei, Clements and Alcock all on short term deals until January. Alcock and Kalvin for me should stay longer, and Addei I also liked earlier in the season.

Of those on two year deals McAlinden, Smith and Debayo are the most baffling.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:To be fair, everyone moans when a good one is signed on a short term deal and asks ‘why not longer’ and as soon as GJ did this everyone moans again. He couldn’t win in that respect.
Yes and equally we have Kalvin, Addei, Clements and Alcock all on short term deals until January. Alcock and Kalvin for me should stay longer, and Addei I also liked earlier in the season.

Of those on two year deals McAlinden, Smith and Debayo are the most baffling.
The most baffling thing was not getting shot of Johnson and then allowing him to hand out all these two-year deals when his dire league record with us showed he would have to be fired sooner rather than later. Unfortunately it will take a long time to sort out the mess he left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:That's a curious statement. So if you employ a plasterer and all the plaster falls off the walls. Would he come back with 'it's a skill mate, but real life is different'? If he did would you accept it?
Likewise you employ a football manager, because that he the skill he is supposed to have, building and managing a football team. That is his real life. Surely if you can't translate your aparent skill into real life, you would soon find yourself without a job?
Many more variables and unpredictable events in football. If your simplistic theory is correct then why do managers succeed at one club and fail at another? Why do players gel and perform at one club and not another, regardless of manager? Did Yates have skill to sign Penn and Summers only to lose that skill when signing Richards and Taylor, who on paper were just as likely to be successful. Why do clubs with the most money not win everything by default if they can buy the best players and managers?

There is always a degree of chance in signings. Duku and Eisa for example - both similar in the fact they had potential before signing, but no manager could know for sure how each would go on to perform in the league.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:That's a curious statement. So if you employ a plasterer and all the plaster falls off the walls. Would he come back with 'it's a skill mate, but real life is different'? If he did would you accept it?
Many more variables and unpredictable events in football. If your simplistic theory is correct then why do managers succeed at one club and fail at another? Why do players gel and perform at one club and not another, regardless of manager? Did Yates have skill to sign Penn and Summers only to lose that skill when signing Richards and Taylor, who on paper were just as likely to be successful. Why do clubs with the most money not win everything by default if they can buy the best players and managers?

There is always a degree of chance in signings. Duku and Eisa for example - both similar in the fact they had potential before signing, but no manager could know for sure how each would go on to perform in the league.

it could be that Eisa was surrounded by players like Pell and Winchester who created chances for him!?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lol Pell as a chance creator.
Nesty

HITS

JURY STILL OUT
Kelsey Mooney

FLOP

Agree or disagree with my assessment?
I have "bolded" the names of the players on 2 year deals
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Lol Pell as a chance creator.
a lot of strikers feed off other players I am not saying Pell could be credited with direct assists, but created space. My point is that to compare Eisa and Duku you would have to put them in with the same other 10 players
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Lol Pell as a chance creator.
a lot of strikers feed off other players I am not saying Pell could be credited with direct assists, but created space. My point is that to compare Eisa and Duku you would have to put them in with the same other 10 players
Yes very true, and precisely my point about being so many variables determining whether a signing is a success, including how they gel with team mates.