Head of recruitment

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Some news on Pete Johnson here: http://bit.ly/HeadOfRecruitment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
He leaves. New person in on Monday.
longmover
Good, he can bugger off to Torquay and line Gary's pockets
ctfc-fan
Fair play, after what those two did for this club I can’t believe the negativity and hard feelings towards them, especially Pete.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Fair play, after what those two did for this club I can’t believe the negativity and hard feelings towards them, especially Pete.
Saved us from bankruptcy, two profitable seasons, and a million pound player sale - three of the most important years in the future of Cheltenham Town.
Nesty
what part did the Thomson Twins play in Eisa signing ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:what part did the Thomson Twins play in Eisa signing ?
I imagine PJ and GJ found Eisa, signed him, and then GJ extended his contract very promptly.

Or are you suggesting that someone other than the Head of Recruitment and the Manager was responsible for signing Mo?
Lord Elpuz
Interesting. That’s you and Shevates (raised something similar a few weeks ago) hinting that what the rest of us assume to be fact, might be something completely different? Are you prepared to elaborate? Because if not, then Brothers Johnson deserve all the acclaim.

That being the case, I thank Pete for all he has done for the Club & wish him well for the future.
ctfc-fan
Ah so it was you that found him Nesty! Well done!
Robin
Has Downes also left now that Milton is being retained?
horlickfanclub
Downes is a coach. Milton Assistant Manager Robin.
Shade
I wish there weren't some old schoolboys who go around whispering on this forum. If you have something to say and you believe it to be fact, just say it ffs. If it's true then you have nothing to be worried of. If you don't know it to be true, then don't say anything.
Jon Palmer
New man confirmed: http://bit.ly/NewHOR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I wish there weren't some old schoolboys who go around whispering on this forum. If you have something to say and you believe it to be fact, just say it ffs. If it's true then you have nothing to be worried of. If you don't know it to be true, then don't say anything.
Yup - that’s why I ignore most of the ‘I heard from a source’ guff. All ego and no substance. And even worse when they PM you but tell you ‘to keep it off the forum’.
kiaora84
Seems he has been unofficially ‘helping’ for a couple of months. That would explain Jones’ comments about someone he knew helping out
Robin
Where did you get that part that he's been unofficially helping? If he's the one who brought Sam Jones here then that doesn't bode well.
Del Boy
Pete Johnson has been officially 'helping out' for years and the recruitment has been awful bar a couple of hits. If, as I presume, he had a big hand in this summer's shambles then it won't take much to improve on him.
ctfc-fan
Del Boy wrote:Pete Johnson has been officially 'helping out' for years and the recruitment has been awful bar a couple of hits. If, as I presume, he had a big hand in this summer's shambles then it won't take much to improve on him.
I assume you’re forgetting the title winning year?!
Del Boy
ctfc-fan wrote:
Del Boy wrote:Pete Johnson has been officially 'helping out' for years and the recruitment has been awful bar a couple of hits. If, as I presume, he had a big hand in this summer's shambles then it won't take much to improve on him.
Not at all but when the club gambles with its future to 'break the bank' to give itself the best possible chance of promotion then you've got a big advantage especially when most of the clubs could barely scrape together enough to survive.

When it was a more level playing field in the league the recruitment was awful. Of course, some with point to Eisa as proof of how great the Johnson brothers were to CTFC. It was great that Eisa - worth £1.5m - did better than anyone could have imagined yet we still finished a few points above relegated clubs. Doesn't say much for the rest, does it??

And then they're allowed to sign another heap of players this summer and leave us with another lop-sided, bloated squad.
ctfc-fan
Del Boy wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
Not at all but when the club gambles with its future to 'break the bank' to give itself the best possible chance of promotion then you've got a big advantage especially when most of the clubs could barely scrape together enough to survive.

When it was a more level playing field in the league the recruitment was awful. Of course, some with point to Eisa as proof of how great the Johnson brothers were to CTFC. It was great that Eisa - worth £1.5m - did better than anyone could have imagined yet we still finished a few points above relegated clubs. Doesn't say much for the rest, does it??

And then they're allowed to sign another heap of players this summer and leave us with another lop-sided, bloated squad.
But scrapping the team was no guarantee, just look at FGR. They’ve been gambling and breaking the bank for years but that didn’t buy them the title very quickly did it?
kiaora84
Robin wrote:Where did you get that part that he's been unofficially helping? If he's the one who brought Sam Jones here then that doesn't bode well.
Also sent Clements our way :?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:

Flinders
Boyle
Hussey
Long
Antangana
Dawson
Winchester
Mullins
Forster (CB)

All decent at this level. Problem is they are not ever fit at the same time.
Robin
kiaora84 wrote:
Robin wrote:Where did you get that part that he's been unofficially helping? If he's the one who brought Sam Jones here then that doesn't bode well.
Also sent Clements our way :?
People are quick to criticise PJ but if this guy was advising during the Milton temp reign then it doesn't inspire confidence.
Ihearye
Hope the new lad does well and gets us some players that will be 1st team rather than bench at best. Nothing against PJ but one of the strangest sights was him in the dugout when GJ was ill, very odd,
As for RCS list jury still out on a few of those and could be artgued that Winchester is only success iunless you are judging sucess BT comparing to the rest of the average daves they signed
asl
Ihearye wrote:one of the strangest sights was him in the dugout when GJ was ill, very odd
More so than our head groundsman, Mike Heather, having his own regular place in the dugout?
Ihearye
Need somebody at ground zero to keep an eye on the grass?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Ihearye wrote:one of the strangest sights was him in the dugout when GJ was ill, very odd
More so than our head groundsman, Mike Heather, having his own regular place in the dugout?
Depends if he did any ancillary duties such as carrying kit and drinks etc.
everyman
longmover wrote:Good, he can bugger off to Torquay and line Gary's pockets
I wouldn`t be surprised if they both wanted out after Paul Baker left,they may have found a way to ensure that happened ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
longmover wrote:Good, he can bugger off to Torquay and line Gary's pockets
I wouldn`t be surprised if they both wanted out after Paul Baker left,they may have found a way to ensure that happened ?
:roll:
horlickfanclub
Months notice was up.
paperboy
..and has officially been announced as H o R at Torquay.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:..and has officially been announced as H o R at Torquay.
A squad of conference winners and a million pound player will help Torquay out no end if P&G do the same there as they did here.
horlickfanclub
On the other hand they could plateau out just above Gloucester City.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
paperboy wrote:..and has officially been announced as H o R at Torquay.
A squad of conference winners and a million pound player will help Torquay out no end if P&G do the same there as they did here.
As long as he has more money than most to spend on building a side of conference winners. Alongside being able to sell Torquay as having that potential. It is one thing selling the dream with a club that has just come down and is prepared to splash the cash to get straight back up. Another thing when it comes to selling the dream at Torquay
Del Boy
Here's hoping the Johnson bros still like all the players they signed in the summer.