Two players out

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
One on loan, another permanent: http://bit.ly/TwoOutCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Benctfc
Makes sense if neither are part of Duff's current plans. Reality of when you have a squad of nearly 30 players we need to get people out. I'm sure we are trying to move on the other as well that aren't in the managers plans. It really does show what a mess Duff has been left with.
asl
Wasn't Duku our top scorer...? I agree, that says much...
Del Boy
Great news if he's off to Torquay - perhaps he can pack the car with a few more of our ex-manager's summer signings.
Malabus
Going to Barnet.
Del Boy wrote:Great news if he's off to Torquay - perhaps he can pack the car with a few more of our ex-manager's summer signings.
Robin
I'm not surprised we've shipped a couple out but I am surprised it's not Jones, Baldwin, Debayo, McAlindon or Addei who all are worse than these two. This also leaves us light up top now with just three forwards.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I'm not surprised we've shipped a couple out but I am surprised it's not Jones, Baldwin, Debayo, McAlindon or Addei who all are worse than these two. This also leaves us light up top now with just three forwards.
Think for a moment; if they are worse players, they are less likely to be wanted by other teams, so not surprising they haven’t left.
Artemis
Robin wrote:I'm not surprised we've shipped a couple out but I am surprised it's not Jones, Baldwin, Debayo, McAlindon or Addei who all are worse than these two. This also leaves us light up top now with just three forwards.
Basic numeracy still isn't your strong point Robin. I make it four. Barnett, Varney, McAllindon and Lloyd. Plus Addai and Jones have played up top this season for us. Oh, and Ben Tozer.
andgarod
Mooney!!!!!!!!
Artemis
andgarod wrote:Mooney!!!!!!!!
Thanks Andgarod.....so many players I can't remember them all......
Robin
Sam Jones and Liam McAlinden are very unlikely to feature so you can rule those two out and Lloyd is being linked with a loan move. That simply leaves us with Barnett/Varney who are clearly first choice and Mooney as cover. Now tell me that isn't light. Even if Lloyd stays him and Mooney as cover doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in my mind.
kiaora84
Both being ‘looked after’ by the same management team. I have heard Duku hasn’t settled in the area and wanted to go back to London, I doubt he will come back. Kala wants to play for The Johnson’ brothers as that’s where his team feel he will develop.

In any event, I don’t think either will be a miss. Despite a couple of good person games Kala is massively overhyped. One person referred to him as a cross between Eisa and Pack on Facebook.

Duku has been a huge disappointment. When I saw his highlight reel, I expected a big bullying, dominating centre forward. We have definitely not seen that.

Robin, your comments regarding the loans, we have a financial obligation to pay them if they are here or not. In which case I’d rather have them as backup to the backups then send them back in January.

McAlindon and Debayo are clearly not up to this level. But which NL team are realistically going to sign them on loan and agree to pay their wages?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Sam Jones and Liam McAlinden are very unlikely to feature so you can rule those two out and Lloyd is being linked with a loan move. That simply leaves us with Barnett/Varney who are clearly first choice and Mooney as cover. Now tell me that isn't light. Even if Lloyd stays him and Mooney as cover doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in my mind.
But if something happens to Barnett, Varney, Lloyd and Mooney then it is obvious that McAlinden and Jones will feature won’t they. That is how a squad works.
Robin
We are set to line up 4-5-1 today with Barnett up top alone and Dawson being dropped make of that what you will.

The thing with Duku is we paid a five figure fee for him and I highly doubt Barnet are paying all his wages during his loan spell either. Kalala I feel had something that nobody else other than Maddox has and that's beat players. McAlindon is just baffling he featured for a play off team last year but is clearly not what we need and I agree not many conference clubs will be able to afford him without us subsidising it.

Will be interesting to see who is on the bench today and whether McAlindon, Addei, Debayo or Jones are brought in from the freezer.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:We are set to line up 4-5-1 today with Barnett up top alone and Dawson being dropped make of that what you will.

The thing with Duku is we paid a five figure fee for him and I highly doubt Barnet are paying all his wages during his loan spell either. Kalala I feel had something that nobody else other than Maddox has and that's beat players. McAlindon is just baffling he featured for a play off team last year but is clearly not what we need and I agree not many conference clubs will be able to afford him without us subsidising it.

Will be interesting to see who is on the bench today and whether McAlindon, Addei, Debayo or Jones are brought in from the freezer.
Seems Conor Thomas is in that freezer too
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:We are set to line up 4-5-1 today with Barnett up top alone and Dawson being dropped make of that what you will.

If there is room on the bench then they may be. Obviously with a squad of our size the freezer will be populated each week.
Nesty
JP writes I understand Cheltenham Town winger Alex Addai has turned down a potential move to Concord Rangers, of National League South
Robin
I was correct about the formation then only Varney up top and not Barnett.
horlickfanclub
You weren't correct about Jones.He has been injured,not in a freezer.
Robin
He's definitely in the freezer Horlick.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:He's definitely in the freezer Horlick.
Freezer, or just no place in the match day 18?
Robin
I won't write specifics here all I will say is a number of players have been put in the freezer. GJ also did the same and Cotterill too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:You weren't correct about Jones.He has been injured,not in a freezer.
One of the “I’m in the know” brigade has PM’d me to say that after one recent game Duff laid into Jones telling him he won’t play for the club again.

Where they heard this from is for them to say, but usual handful of salt to take it with is required I assume.
horlickfanclub
Why was he on the bench then? Robin needs to check his freezer.He has funny ideas on the contents.
Robin
Things can change but equally we don't have any other forward options now that Duku has moved on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Things can change but equally we don't have any other forward options now that Duku has moved on.
So as suggested, when room on the bench players will make the match day squad and when there isn’t they won’t.
kora
More space on the bench now as young George has gone to Hereford until January. Should get games at that level and learn how to play against men.
paperboy
Good move for him.

It's not easy coming on as sub, but he looked out of his depth against Morecambe.
Guessing we will try and get another forward in now as we don't have any real back up options now.
Robin
How can we bring in another forward at this stage given there are no loans, surely there are no more free transfers out there?
longmover
Robin wrote:How can we bring in another forward at this stage given there are no loans, surely there are no more free transfers out there?
5hit ones, but you may get lucky
paperboy
longmover wrote:
Robin wrote:How can we bring in another forward at this stage given there are no loans, surely there are no more free transfers out there?
5hit ones, but you may get lucky
Free agents- as with Luke Varney :-)
Last edited by paperboy on 09 Oct 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
thetonga
Up top isn’t our problem, Barnett and Varney are both more than capable of scoring at this level if provided with the right service.

The middle of the park is where we need to focus attention, Atangana and Tozer both offer nothing in terms or creativity, struggle to pass more than 5 yards and regularly get caught out of position or don’t stop opposition midfielders when attacking. Broom has tried his best in the middle but is not a centre midfielder and Thomas is evidently not flavour of the month. I don’t think I’ve seen enough of Clements to form a true opinion but he doesn’t look too strong in the tackle and seems to pass sideways instead of having any penetration.

A former loanee of ours who I feel could add something would be Joss Labadie. I see he is a free agent after having a serious injury at Newport but he did tweet that he was back training the other day. I think he would add a bit of steel in the middle of our team, he has a bit of poor disciplinary record which is not necessarily a bad thing as we dont seem to have anyone in midfield who is a bit of an enforcer. He can also get from box to box quite well and has height which would provide some danger from set pieces. Reminds me a little of Pell in terms of his play.
Robin
I feel we need someone more like Morrell or Winchester along side Nige rather than a Labadie. I just cannot imagine there are many free agents left at this stage of the season though.
Del Boy
I doubt very much if anyone will be coming in any time soon. The first job is to try to shift on as many unwanted players as poss to free up funds. It's not going to be easy given the previous manager was allowed to hand out two-year deals to players unlikely to be in demand from any league clubs so it's a long-term task.

Hopefully we can add one or two of the right players in Jan and then back Duff properly in the summer.
plymrob
I think I need to say it again. My gut feeling is that we are not very good. I admit that I have not seen / endured lots of games. But I have seen enough and over many years.
Why do other promotion teams in League Two compete and often move on? Why have we rebuilt badly - and so heavily numerically - for so many seasons? Most promotion teams have a core. We keep f~~~ing about and mostly go backwards.

Sorry guys, but we are poor. If others here think we have the players then please ask them to step up to the plate.

And who questioned the bounce back with Kewell -v- Duff? You are out of order..!

Kewell inherited a team that should have got promoted last season. Where were we then? God knows what happened to Notts. County - but I do know their Chairman owns two teams, and the other is the resurrected Ilkeston Town FC (2017). Look at ITFC's non league gates... but please also bear in mind that Steve Chettle got moved across from the New Manor Ground to support Kewell...

We are scratching around. Has our new chairman ever done a Q&A with supporters to explain where we are at? If I missed it I'm sorry, but I feel like he made a call on our behalf and then left us all behind.

Like and unlike....? Che Adams and Ash Hunter anyone? And I did recommend Sam Pringle to Martin Allen when he asked for guidance..