Interest in Ben Tozer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Details here: http://bit.ly/NationalLeagueInterest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drgm
As I understand it Tozer was offered a new deal by his previous club Newport but it didn't
match the offer made by Gary Johnson. Says it all really. Paying over the odds for bog standard players
Nesty
shame of it really is that when these signings were being announced they all sounded like good acquisitions.

I would think Debayo may be next, possibly McAlinden and Addai. ?
paperboy
drgm wrote:As I understand it Tozer was offered a new deal by his previous club Newport but it didn't
match the offer made by Gary Johnson. Says it all really. Paying over the odds for bog standard players
Not necessarily over the odds, but a two year deal as opposed to one,plus better geographically for the player.
Nobody really moaned when we signed him and he was seen as a free replacement for Harry Pell.
It's easy to criticize now but they don't sell hindsight at Tesco.
Artemis
And has he had a fair chance in his preferred position of centre half or defensive midfield? I recall a game or two when it was seemed the consensus was him or Atangana, but not both, and then the upfront cameo (which was ridiculous). But that's about it.
Artemis
I expect Debayo will be next and McAllindon. Less sure about Addai. He has raw pace and is unpredictable, something we don't have in spades elsewhere now that KLK has gone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would have Tozer over Nige personally.
THECHOIRBOY
The question with the likes of Debayo is if anyone actually wants them!

Tozer may not have been the highest on Duff's list to let go but based on possible salary and actual interest from other parties his hands are tied!
Robin
Sometimes signings don't work out, with Tozer the quality must be there as he's spent his career in the football league and was offered a good deal with Newport (they just couldn't compete with us financially). I would assume if he joins a conference club then we would still be paying a good chunk of his wages unless it's either Chesterfield or Orient because I'd imagine he's towards the upper end of our wage structure.

My problem was not this signing in itself and the lad hasn't had many chances either only that it wasn't what we needed i.e. a replacement for Winchester/Morrell instead we got another defensive midfielder.
Nesty
It all goes to confirm what a splendid job Mr Johnson and his brother did !!
CTFC03
Tozer was never going to be a like for like replacement for Pell, from having seen him play before his job was to screen the back line or play as a CB which I'm sure he played at CB for Northampton, I thought he would be good signing but again not really been given enough chances and I think like quite a few of our players signed over the summer has just been signed for the sake of doing so with no plan in place, the Johnson's have really be shown up these last few weeks.
Artemis
Robin wrote:Sometimes signings don't work out, with Tozer the quality must be there as he's spent his career in the football league and was offered a good deal with Newport (they just couldn't compete with us financially). I would assume if he joins a conference club then we would still be paying a good chunk of his wages unless it's either Chesterfield or Orient because I'd imagine he's towards the upper end of our wage structure.

My problem was not this signing in itself and the lad hasn't had many chances either only that it wasn't what we needed i.e. a replacement for Winchester/Morrell instead we got another defensive midfielder.
Really, and you know the ins and outs of the offer and Tozer's wages? I expect two years vs one year (but I expect, rather than a statement of fact)
Robin
No I don't but it was well reported down in Newport that they couldn't match the offer we made (their wage bill is lowers than ours as reported by JP last season). If you genuinely believe it was a simple case of two years rather than one then that's up to you. Although I do concede the commute from his home to Chelt is easier than that of going to Newport so that may have been another factor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another good signing on paper which didn’t work out. My Yeovil mate was full of praise and was adamant we had made a good signing, if not a little surprised he came to us and not a higher team.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another good signing on paper which didn’t work out. My Yeovil mate was full of praise and was adamant we had made a good signing, if not a little surprised he came to us and not a higher team.
Correct RCS

Some players hit the ground running at new clubs others don't.

Good excuse for the GJ bashers to get their clubs out though.
kiaora84
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Another good signing on paper which didn’t work out. My Yeovil mate was full of praise and was adamant we had made a good signing, if not a little surprised he came to us and not a higher team.
But you would rather have him than Nige. Strange.
horlickfanclub
Tozer might be worth a go instead of Atangana as RCS suggests. Nigel rarely plays a complete ninety minutes. Ho goes from brilliant to invisible and back again. Our midfield has not been great so trying Tozer for a few more games might see someting different.
Artemis
I think that's a reasonable view, horlicksFC. Our defence seems OK, our strikers experienced and our keeper excellent. Which leaves the midfield, which seems to be the one area that is weaker than in previous seasons. Giving Tozer a go alongside Broom and Maddox, might seem a sensible next step.
Robin
Tozer played on Saturday and didn't make a significant impression - good or bad.
horlickfanclub
Try him without Atangana and with two strikers to pass to.
Si Robin
I'm struggling to think of a more overrated player than Big Nige in recent years - Trevor Carson probably pushes him close.

As Horlick says, Nige can be outstanding one minute, then dreadful for the remaining 89, but people seem to focus on that 1 min of brilliance.

Maybe it is time for Tozer to be played in his role.
Sprout Picker
Si Robin wrote:I'm struggling to think of a more overrated player than Big Nige in recent years - Trevor Carson probably pushes him close.

As Horlick says, Nige can be outstanding one minute, then dreadful for the remaining 89, but people seem to focus on that 1 min of brilliance.

Maybe it is time for Tozer to be played in his role.
Funny you say that Si, was thinking the same earlier after watching the game vs Mangotsfield the other night.

Maybe it's time to change things a bit. Tozer used the ball well the other night playing centre-half. Admittedly it was against lower level opposition but an accurate pass is an accurate pass.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:
But you would rather have him than Nige. Strange.
I would. For whatever reason it hasn’t worked out with Duffo, which doesn’t preclude me thinking he should play instead of Nige.
SHANDY VOR
paperboy wrote:they don't sell hindsight at Tesco.
True, but if they could turn back the clock I bet they would