Caterers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Never understood the fascination with having to eat at a football match, just eat before or after
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Never understood the fascination with having to eat at a football match, just eat before or after
Not always that simple. Person who sits next to me runs their own business in town, including Saturday. Taking 2-2.5 hours out to watch the football is pushing it as it is, so little time for lunch. Same as those who go to evening games straight from the office.
longmover
make your own lunch
SHANDY VOR
Equal rights for vegetables! :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Equal rights for vegetables! :)
If you say so. Rather a juicy steak myself.
Artemis
Maybe even a halal one.
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:Equal rights for vegetables! :)
If you say so. Rather a juicy steak myself.
Boar?...........or is that a typo?
Malabus
At the end of the day, meat is murder. I foresee in the next 30 years that meat eating will decrease and will be viewed the same as the barbaric African slave trade.
SHANDY VOR
Malabus wrote:At the end of the day, meat is murder. I foresee in the next 30 years that meat eating will decrease and will be viewed the same as the barbaric African slave trade.
Nonsense
Andy
Malabus wrote:At the end of the day, meat is murder. I foresee in the next 30 years that meat eating will decrease and will be viewed the same as the barbaric African slave trade.
There’s a barbaric Africa slave trade? Crikey must be too busy eating my burgers to have noticed. ;) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horteng
alwaysarobin wrote:After an email exchange with the caterers they have agreed to put signs up at their catering outlets saying there is a choice of non halal meat and halal meat. Apparently halal meat is there for those who ask for it but i personally have not heard people asking for it but there were quite a few empty halal burger boxes at the side of the van on Tuesday night. Hopefully if you ask for non halal meat you will be served it, having researched the guidelines you are allowed to ask for a burger etc to be taken out of the packaging proving if it is halal or not and have it cooked in front of you.
Lets hope the signs and proof from packaging allows everyone a choice of which meat they eat.
Sorry to those who do not eat meat for whatever reason but there are people who do eat meat and are opposed to the way the animals are killed for food.
Everyone has a choice and those choices should be available for all.
Fantastic work. People should have more awareness of what they are eating. Beggars belief that they will serve an halal option. The worlds gone bloody mad

Again well done for addressing the subject.
Artemis
As you care so much about animal welfare, I look forward to your next campaign to get vegetarian options on the menu.
leohoenig
Can I get a Kosher Burger?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -breakdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
horlickfanclub
Eating British beef does not cause deforestation or water shortages. The problem is overseas. Stick to uk meat,preferably organic, or eat veg is what i do.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Eating British beef does not cause deforestation or water shortages. The problem is overseas. Stick to uk meat,preferably organic, or eat veg is what i do.
Where does the feed come from?
ctfc-fan
horlickfanclub wrote:Eating British beef does not cause deforestation or water shortages. The problem is overseas. Stick to uk meat,preferably organic, or eat veg is what i do.
Um, local farmers crops....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
Ah yes, taking energy and food out of the supply for humans.

(And if you think mega industrial farms with 10,000 plus cows in a shed are supplied with local crops you’re knowledge of the agrifood industry is very low)
ctfc-fan
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Where does the feed come from?
Ah yes, taking energy and food out of the supply for humans.

(And if you think mega industrial farms with 10,000 plus cows in a shed are supplied with local crops you’re knowledge of the agrifood industry is very low)
Don’t be daft RCS
SHANDY VOR
Is there nothing you're not an expert on RCS? Remember there is a difference between educate and pontificate!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Is there nothing you're not an expert on RCS? Remember there is a difference between educate and pontificate!
Nature of economic, sustainability and policy consultancy is that you learn incredible amounts about a range of sectors and markets. Was only early this year I was analysis agricultural product import and export data and we have just taken on a project researching the future of farming and how the industry will use digital technologies to increase productivity and sustainability.
Artemis
He is correct. Local farmers' crops won't be enough to feed a herd on a mega farm. Feed will be imported, quite possibly from formerly forested areas. That's just the nature of the global market we live in.
Ihearye
Well have to say I have been educated!! I had know idea that there are farms in the UK housing 10000 cattle indoors. The MacDonalds adverts re british and Irish beef, don't mention this
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Well have to say I have been educated!! I had know idea that there are farms in the UK housing 10000 cattle indoors. The MacDonalds adverts re british and Irish beef, don't mention this
I admit, 10,000 was hyberbole, but won’t be long given the growing number of mega farms up to 3,000 cattle - in outdoor pens and indoors - already across the U.K.

“Research by the Guardian and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has established that the UK is now home to a number of large beef herds of up to 3,000 cattle, with many livestock kept for extended periods in grassless pens or yards rather than being grazed or barn-reared.

In contrast to large intensive pig and poultry farms, industrial scale beef units do not require a government permit in order to operate, and there are no official records on how many are in operation.

But the Guardian and the Bureau has identified nearly a dozen industrial-scale beef facilities operating across England, including at sites in Kent, Northamptonshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. The largest farms fatten up to 6,000 cattle a year.

Drone footage and satellite images reveal how thousands of cattle are being kept at some sites in outdoor pens, known as corrals, sometimes surrounded by walls, fences or straw bales. All of the images that we have used are of UK farms, in the counties listed above.

Although the cattle will have spent time grazing in fields prior to fattening, at some farms livestock may be confined in pens for up to a quarter of their lives, until they are slaughtered.”

And as for other animals?

“Last year the Guardian and Bureau revealed how 800 poultry and pig “mega farms” - known in the US as Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) - have appeared in the British countryside in recent years, some housing over a million chickens or more than 20,000 pigs”

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/s ... -beef-lots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The drone video footage (halfway through that article) isn’t going to be used in McDonalds adverts.

As for Ireland?

“In Ireland the use of similar 'feedlot' style farms by large beef processing companies has proved controversial, with farming chiefs and politicians expressing concerns that smaller players are being squeezed. Intensive farming facilities of up to 8,000 cattle are reportedly being used to store livestock that are then released onto the market by beef processors, potentially affecting prices and the viability of smaller producers.”
Ihearye
Somewhat dubious connecrion there TRCS. Seems the article is stating that there are large beef herds, nothing wrong with that. However, it does not state they are being kept indoors in those numbers ??? I am now a tad cautious, your 10,000 shrunk to 3,000 tp 'a large number'. I agree any size is too many, but .........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Somewhat dubious connecrion there TRCS. Seems the article is stating that there are large beef herds, nothing wrong with that. However, it does not state they are being kept indoors in those numbers ??? I am now a tad cautious, your 10,000 shrunk to 3,000 tp 'a large number'. I agree any size is too many, but .........
Kept indoors for a quarter of their life or more it says. And there isn’t much difference between being kept indoors and being kept in a crowded muddy yard with little room to turn around and no grass?

After a life like that, a Halal slaughter is just a marginal extra, to bring it back to the hypocritical OP.
Artemis
The exact size isn't the point. The original statement was that local farmers' can feed large cattle herds. Of course they can't. They're too busy growing bio-fuels or set-aside. Cattle feed will be imported and thus contribute to climate change through deforestation and / or transport.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:The exact size isn't the point. The original statement was that local farmers' can feed large cattle herds. Of course they can't. They're too busy growing bio-fuels or set-aside. Cattle feed will be imported and thus contribute to climate change through deforestation and / or transport.
And not counting the land animals live on, 33pc of agricultural land is given over to animal feed, and even more in the USA; our post-Brexit trade partner as some would have it (http://www.onegreenplanet.org/environme ... struction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

And feeding crops to animals is less efficient; fewer humans can be fed from the animals than they would from the volume of crop used for feed.