Great win for Gloucester

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3-0 away at Dorking in the FA Cup on Tuesday night.

Into the 4th Qualifying Round, with a winnable home tie vs Bromley.

Be great to see three non-disputable Gloucestershire sides in the First Round proper - Glos vs Chelt would be a great tie.
asl
Yea, cos we've got such a great record against non-league teams in the FA Cup, it'd be an ideal time to play them while we're in such disarray, wouldn't it...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Yea, cos we've got such a great record against non-league teams in the FA Cup, it'd be an ideal time to play them while we're in such disarray, wouldn't it...?
Adds to the spice.
Malabus
Has RCS seen how s#!t we are....!! Gloster no thank you.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anyway, here is the 4th Qualifying Round Draw:

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/fixtures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For me personally Blyth away would be ideal, and every year I cross my fingers for Harrogate away so am doing the same this time too.

But the real gem would be if Dunston UTS of the ninth tier continue their unbelievable run and beat Gateshead in the local derby. A trip to their 2,500 stadium, where they are charging £6 for the Gateshead tie - their biggest game ever - is what FA Cup is all about. 9th tier in the 4th Qual!!

More locally to Cheltenham, what about a trip to Jerry Gill’s Bath?
Robin
I'd like Charlton away (only lower league ground I've not been too) or failing that any winnable tie so we can enjoy a cup run for once.
asl
Robin wrote:any winnable tie so we can enjoy a cup run for once.
Like a non-league club, you mean...? Fortunately, I didn't go to Telford - but the memories of being totally ripped apart and outplayed in the first half by Sutton live long in the memory.
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:
Robin wrote:any winnable tie so we can enjoy a cup run for once.
Like a non-league club, you mean...? Fortunately, I didn't go to Telford - but the memories of being totally ripped apart and outplayed in the first half by Sutton live long in the memory.
Tamworth?

After the disaster against Maidstone I'm rather hoping we'll actually have a proper look at whoever our opponents are this season instead of turning up and hoping for the best.
asl
Yea, Tamworth. And you're also right that it was Maidstone who tore us apart at home.
Nesty
Torquay - and beat them 10-0 !
Robin
Our record in the cup in recent years has been shocking, we are the victim of too many giant killings however that may work in our favour in terms of potential TV coverage I guess.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:I'd like Charlton away (only lower league ground I've not been too) or failing that any winnable tie so we can enjoy a cup run for once.
Seconded. If only for the Antigallican pub which is a historic east end boozer just a stroll from the away turnstiles. They used to put on a buffet for visiting fans!
horlickfanclub
Nesty wrote:Torquay - and beat them 10-0 !
Hopefully Winchester City will knock them out.
SHANDY VOR
The odds will be against us joining you in the first round proper. We will be the underdogs playing at home to a Conference Premier side and today have lost our goalkeeper. Not sure if the FA are going to let us play rush. And as he was a striker anyway then that wouldn't help unless they were shooting towards his nose.

We have a woeful record in the FA Cup over the years.
horlickfanclub
The past has gone Shandy. This could be your year.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:The past has gone Shandy. This could be your year.
Bromley low down in league above. Home tie after a great away win at a big spending side. I think City have a great chance.

Personally I think, if the FA allow emergencies, that CTFC should loan GCFC a keeper for the match.
theidlerich
New manager too; will the "bounce" help Glos. Hope so!
longmover
you watch city get fgr in the 1st round :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:you watch city get fgr in the 1st round :roll:
TV game.
longmover
while we get dumped out by bury
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:you watch city get fgr in the 1st round :roll:
TV game.
If it did happen it would be on the back of the FGR back story, not anything to do with the derby aspect - I don't think the outside world reckon there's football played in Gloucestershire, and too few in the County do
Chris FGR
Well it would be good to get on TV again, the lack of coverage you get in league 2 in comparison to the National League is quite noticeable. In the National League we were live on TV 5 or 6 times a season, unlikely to be on at all this year.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Well it would be good to get on TV again, the lack of coverage you get in league 2 in comparison to the National League is quite noticeable. In the National League we were live on TV 5 or 6 times a season, unlikely to be on at all this year.
Yup, definitely experienced the reverse during our dominant season in the Conference - never seen us on TV so much.
Robin
Sky used to show the new boys at least once in the first season but seem to have given up on that now and virtually never show lower league football only Championship stuff.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Sky used to show the new boys at least once in the first season but seem to have given up on that now and virtually never show lower league football only Championship stuff.
And Sunderland.
little mo
Sky showed Barnsley v. Luton yesterday and a good game it was too. Barnsley in particular knocked the ball around really well, and looked a good side. Actually only one division above us, but really in all honesty, they are light years ahead of us.
Shade
little mo wrote:Sky showed Barnsley v. Luton yesterday and a good game it was too. Barnsley in particular knocked the ball around really well, and looked a good side. Actually only one division above us, but really in all honesty, they are light years ahead of us.
They're third in League 1 and are a Championship/L1 yo-yo team. Hardly surprising.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No dice for Gloucester, so no derby in R1. Torquay score another hatful to go through...Johnson to return to WR in R1?
longmover
They've got one job to do all season :lol:
Shade
Torquay will almost certainly draw us, but given GJ's record in the FA Cup with us the last 3 seasons (I believe we won one game, and that was a 4th round quali replay v Havant & Waterlooville?), I wouldn't be too worried about an upset for once... But you know that's not how it works.