Kalala

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFC03
Joins Johnson at Torquay, doesn't say length of deal though - good luck to him I thought he did alright coming on from the bench v Lincoln.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just lacked strength and fitness - his movement, speed and mind looked decent. Against Carlisle he was great at beating defenders to the ball and then spinning round to shield it. Unfortunately, he wasn’t used to the strength of the defenders and was sometimes outmuscled before being able to find a pass (admittedly support was lacking). And his turning and beating of men caused them real problems - and he even got some decent shots away from outside the box, including one Eisa-eaque curler on the run just wide of the far post. Apart from Eisa, it was one of the most exciting striker performances I have seen in recent years for CTFC, reminiscent of Mo and McG, or Holman taking the p!ss against park sides.

I was looking forward to seeing him develop, and benefit from playing alongside a Barnett or Varney.
Lord Elpuz
Major mistake letting him go. I could think of several others I would have parted company with ahead of KLK.

I hope he does well for Gary, and I suspect he will have the next big non-leave sensation attracting interest from League 1 or higher clubs this time next year.

Good luck to Kalvin, and good luck to Torquay United and Gary Johnson.
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote:Major mistake letting him go. I could think of several others I would have parted company with ahead of KLK.

I hope he does well for Gary, and I suspect he will have the next big non-leave sensation attracting interest from League 1 or higher clubs this time next year.

As was stated on another thread, players who are wanted, we can get rid of, those not wanted we are stuck with unfortunately
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:Major mistake letting him go. I could think of several others I would have parted company with ahead of KLK.

As was stated on another thread, players who are wanted, we can get rid of, those not wanted we are stuck with unfortunately
But letting them go rather than taking the hit could be false economy if it costs us a place in the League or thwarts promotion. I agree with you completely - just putting out a devil’s advocate alternative.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Four second half goals away from home see Torquay win. They are on the way back.

Just hopefully it is in L2 we next face them, not the Conference.
Lord Elpuz
Pure conjecture here, but one has been pondering the reason CTFC has let Kalvin Kalala go and not put him out on loan instead - bearing in mind he was on the bench for several recent games and was well worth nurturing. Part of this may of course be to reduce the squad size and to get him off the wage bill, but as he was a previously unknown ‘find’ at one the summer trials for unattached players, he would not have been on much of a salary.

I wonder whether our former Manager has been canny enough to negotiate Kalvin’s release as part of his own severance package? If that’s so, it could turn out to be a very shrewd piece of business.
Del Boy
Lord Elpuz wrote:Pure conjecture here, but one has been pondering the reason CTFC has let Kalvin Kalala go and not put him out on loan instead - bearing in mind he was on the bench for several recent games and was well worth nurturing. Part of this may of course be to reduce the squad size and to get him off the wage bill, but as he was a previously unknown ‘find’ at one the summer trials for unattached players, he would not have been on much of a salary.

I wonder whether our former Manager has been canny enough to negotiate Kalvin’s release as part of his own severance package? If that’s so, it could turn out to be a very shrewd piece of business.
Shame he didn't negotiate for a few more.
Robin
Another posted hinted that Kalala wanted to leave and rejoin GJ down in Torquay as he believed he would develop better. Apparently both him and Duku wanted out as they were unhappy and both have the same agent.
Lord Elpuz
FULL-TIME | United secure their place in the first round of the #EmiratesFACup after a 4-1 victory over Winchester City. Goals from Kalala, Janneh and Lemonheigh-Evans (2). #tufc #TORvWIN

Gary and Kalvin working their magic for Torquay United FC. The Gulls will sh!t on everyone this season ;)

What’s the chances of Gary getting a plum 1st Round draw against Cheltenham Town then? Football has a funny habit of turning up such fixtures so soon after the departure of a manager. Watch this space.
Last edited by Lord Elpuz on 20 Oct 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
swellingsdownbelow
Well, Johnson spent 2 and a bit seasons shitting on us.......what’s new? Johnson and Kalala are at their right level....... National League South and pushing above their weight in the FA Cup....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
swellingsdownbelow wrote:Well, Johnson spent 2 and a bit seasons shitting on us.......what’s new? Johnson and Kalala are at their right level....... National League South and pushing above their weight in the FA Cup....
They’ll be back in L2 together in two or three seasons.
Lord Elpuz
swellingsdownbelow wrote: ... Johnson and Kalala are at their right level....... National League South and pushing above their weight in the FA Cup....
Oops, credibility bypass there my fine fellow. Mr Johnson’s CV proves otherwise.

I say good luck to Gary Johnson & Kalvin Kalala. It went sour for us with GJ in the end, sadly, but that doesn’t mean his previous successes should be written off.
swellingsdownbelow
Whoever wrote Gary Johnson’s CV ought to be employed by Theresa May.......when he failed pitifully 6 months after getting us promoted from the National League he should have been shown the door.....but then, the Chairman incumbent could just add that faux pas to the several others in his timescale.....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
swellingsdownbelow wrote:Whoever wrote Gary Johnson’s CV ought to be employed by Theresa May.......when he failed pitifully 6 months after getting us promoted from the National League he should have been shown the door.....but then, the Chairman incumbent could just add that faux pas to the several others in his timescale.....
6 months?? That was before he built a League side and was still giving the Champions their chance.
ctfc-fan
swellingsdownbelow wrote:Whoever wrote Gary Johnson’s CV ought to be employed by Theresa May.......when he failed pitifully 6 months after getting us promoted from the National League he should have been shown the door.....but then, the Chairman incumbent could just add that faux pas to the several others in his timescale.....
Don’t be so ridiculous. One thing CTFC have done is stick by managers rather than showing them the door after a few poor results. In my mind this is the best way to do business unlike some of the other teams such as Leeds, Cardiff and others who chop and change all the time.
CTFC03
We will always be thankful for Gary for getting us back but we have been absolutely shocking under him in the league and I'm glad he is now gone as it was beyond a joke, he is past it now infact quite a few managers who have been around for as long as he has are now past it at FL level.