Jon Palmer and all who joined his cry....

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
....for a former player to take over as manager

Hang your heads in shame. There was a limitless number of experienced managers who could have stepped in and shored things up. Instead we chose no experience from a tiny unattractive pool.

Absolute mess and no redeeming features.
Robin
We are in a right mess and things have got worse, timing of the GJ sacking was all wrong, the length of time it took to appoint a successor was a disaster, the panic signings when we had no manager, the wasting of decent money from the sale of Mo it just makes me angry.
asl
JP did say in his article that "One thing's for sure, the next manager has to be steeped in CTFC" and stated that he needed to be an ex-player. I recall posting that I did not understand how that conclusion had been reached.

But we are where we are.
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:We are in a right mess and things have got worse, timing of the GJ sacking was all wrong, the length of time it took to appoint a successor was a disaster, the panic signings when we had no manager, the wasting of decent money from the sale of Mo it just makes me angry.
Ignoring the merits of the sacking itself, as you have already pointed out, the whole process was a shambles.
darreno
The big problem is that we are stuck with this group of players until at least early january. By that time, we could be cut well adrift.

The whole situation over two years is an embarrassment., right from when GJ kept faith with his non-league squad. We've been fire fighting ever since.

And we are ones who will pay the price.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Robin wrote:We are in a right mess and things have got worse, timing of the GJ sacking was all wrong, the length of time it took to appoint a successor was a disaster, the panic signings when we had no manager, the wasting of decent money from the sale of Mo it just makes me angry.
Ignoring the merits of the sacking itself, as you have already pointed out, the whole process was a shambles.
I agree. The timing and aftermath was a shambles. The process itself was grubby. That image of the whole Board in the empty stand looking like a Mafia execution squad. Regardless of whether one thinks GJ should have been sacked, the timing and method was shameful.

As for JP calling for an ex-player, the Board should have made it clear: it is not a time for a novice. But then the post-Baker Board have yet to cover themselves in glory.
Nesty
let us make it clear (or am I missing something) the board did not sack GJ on the say so of a moaning minority (as Ben puts it), nor did the board appoint Duff on the say so of JP
horlickfanclub
Agree Nesty.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:let us make it clear (or am I missing something) the board did not sack GJ on the say so of a moaning minority (as Ben puts it), nor did the board appoint Duff on the say so of JP
Given it was pre-meditated before the Macc game, are you saying the board sacked him on the basis of three close 1-0 defeats with a brand new squad?
Johnsons Red Army
Of course two of GJ's harshest critics (biggest moaners) are going to disagree with Ben's comment...... :roll:
Robin
I do believe it was right to move GJ on but the way it happened and the wasting of money whilst we appointed Duff were all wrong.

I seriously doubt we'd be any worse off if GJ were still here.
Nesty
well we couldn't be any worse -
Ihearye
solihullkev wrote:....for a former player to take over as manager

Hang your heads in shame. There was a limitless number of experienced managers who could have stepped in and shored things up. Instead we chose no experience from a tiny unattractive pool.

Absolute mess and no redeeming features.
didn't see too many other voices saying it had to be a former. Indeed, the majority said it should just boil down to best man for the job (?)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP was just feeding us Club lines once Carsley couldn’t be finalised imo.
Ihearye
How far along the road did we get with Lee? If we started down it that is ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:How far along the road did we get with Lee? If we started down it that is ?
Have to ask Andy W - Lee is his mate so assume it was a quick chat before scampering for Plan B.