Why Michael Duff is safe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

d3d4
Hi all,

Luke Griffin has written a piece on why Michael Duff should have no concerns regarding his job security despite a difficult start:

http://d3d4football.com/why-michael-duf ... nham-town/

Thanks,

James
theidlerich
A realistic viewpoint of where we are. I certainly hope that some cash is available to 're-energise' the squad when the transfer window re-opens. Presumably dependant on us being able to offload some pretty average and under performing players. I trust the current 'scouts' make better choices than the last lot [a few exceptions obviously]!
To spend money on any building work would be a foolish decision; we need to crawl towards mid-table and be certain of staying there first!
Alf
I totally agree. It wasn’t as though Duffo inherited a squad of competent players which just needed remotivating. He inherited players from a manager who signed them and apparently could not motivate them either. There is a lot of rebuilding required in the next two or three months and I will consider retaining our div 2 status as an achievement. Anything else will be a bonus.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I totally agree. It wasn’t as though Duffo inherited a squad of competent players which just needed remotivating. He inherited players from a manager who signed them and apparently could not motivate them either. There is a lot of rebuilding required in the next two or three months and I will consider retaining our div 2 status as an achievement. Anything else will be a bonus.
Kalala et al looked motivated to me and keen to get up to League fitness and pace. Only the injured players weren’t trying on the pitch!
Nesty
I didnt see Kalala or Duku play but listening to the radio and reading comments on social media they seemed to bring pace and directness to the front line, same with Adaai -

I agree that although it will add up to yet another wasted season, retaining out FL status is a must
Ihearye
The shame is that, the support are usually, sorry are very patient with the team. If they could only produce a couple of results, they would soon learn that even draws are appluaded of the pitch !! The support is always there for them, just need to be given a few crumbs to lift them
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:The shame is that, the support are usually, sorry are very patient with the team. If they could only produce a couple of results, they would soon learn that even draws are appluaded of the pitch !! The support is always there for them, just need to be given a few crumbs to lift them
Agreed. Even though the Morecambe result was as awful as Barnet last season and the Altrincham result in the Champions season, the fans were on their feet and applauded the team off after they fought back to snatch the draw.

(Can’t say the same for the Board, with the players rallying to score a late equaliser away from home only to see their manager sacked an hour later.)
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:I totally agree. It wasn’t as though Duffo inherited a squad of competent players which just needed remotivating. He inherited players from a manager who signed them and apparently could not motivate them either. There is a lot of rebuilding required in the next two or three months and I will consider retaining our div 2 status as an achievement. Anything else will be a bonus.
Kalala et al looked motivated to me and keen to get up to League fitness and pace. Only the injured players weren’t trying on the pitch!
I was referring to the squad as a whole and the overall atmosphere. Obviously some individuals responded better than others but I wasn’t going to go through the whole squad giving marks out of 10.
Shade
Ihearye wrote:The shame is that, the support are usually, sorry are very patient with the team. If they could only produce a couple of results, they would soon learn that even draws are appluaded of the pitch !! The support is always there for them, just need to be given a few crumbs to lift them
Agreed. Even though the Morecambe result was as awful as Barnet last season and the Altrincham result in the Champions season, the fans were on their feet and applauded the team off after they fought back to snatch the draw.

(Can’t say the same for the Board, with the players rallying to score a late equaliser away from home only to see their manager sacked an hour later.)
Difference with Morecambe was we dominated and had many opportunities, but they kept hitting us on the break and we looked weak at the back. If we make chances the fans will always applaud the players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:

Difference with Morecambe was we dominated and had many opportunities, but they kept hitting us on the break and we looked weak at the back. If we make chances the fans will always applaud the players.
I was purely talking results but yes agree with your sentiment completely.