10 or so games to mould our future

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
we have 9 league games plus 1 FA Cup (or 2) until the window opens. If we can get 9 points or more from these games I feel we will still be "in touch" with those teams down with us (sods law they all won yesterday).

My prediction is

win against Notts C, Grimsby and maybe Swindon. Draws against Port Vale & FGR. Defeats against Yeovil, MKD, Newport & Bury

thoughts ?
Johnsons Red Army
Notts County - Loss
Newport - Loss
Bury - Loss
Grimsby - Win
Port Vale - Draw/Loss
Swindon - Draw/Loss
MK Dons - Loss
FGR - Draw/Loss
Yeovil - Draw/Loss

I'll predict between 3 and 7 points from the same fixtures.

Fingers crossed I'm miles off the mark!
Artemis
Two more sets of 15 games. 20 points from each and we'll be fine. The recent fixtures have been tough, so I'm hopeful of a few more wins from the next few. The cup would be a good place to start if only gotr momentum and cash. But its not the end of the world if we don't progress.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:we have 9 league games plus 1 FA Cup (or 2) until the window opens. If we can get 9 points or more from these games I feel we will still be "in touch" with those teams down with us (sods law they all won yesterday).

My prediction is

win against Notts C, Grimsby and maybe Swindon. Draws against Port Vale & FGR. Defeats against Yeovil, MKD, Newport & Bury

thoughts ?
9 points from 9 games.... if we are still in touch we don’t deserve to be.

12-15 points minimum required imo.

My prediction of how we reach that threshold:

Notts County away: draw
Newport home: win
Bury away: loss
Grimsby home: win
Vale away: draw
Swindon away: loss
MK dons home: draw
FGR home: draw
Yeovil away: win
Crawley away: loss

I don’t think we can afford to lose another home game, and we have to restrict defeats to 1 in 3 imo.
Robin
If we play consistently like yesterday no reason why we cannot win several of those games. Failure to win at least three and we are likely getting relegated and Duff the sack.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:If we play consistently like yesterday no reason why we cannot win several of those games. Failure to win at least three and we are likely getting relegated and Duff the sack.
I don’t think we could afford to sack him, financially.

Even if we do plod our way to relegation with ‘good performance draws’ I think Duff should stay and be in charge of the root and branch rebuild both on and off the pitch.
Lord Elpuz
I was much emboldened by the performance against Mansfield. The Stags over-physical and deliberate targeting of young Master Maddox & Varney was clearly a ‘tactic’ and their keeper could have put Will Boyle out of the game with a deliberate leading knee into Boyle’s back. Cheltenham stood up to the intimidation and put in a performance which shows the team is not too far away now from being a very difficult side to beat. I was impressed with Tozer and Boyle getting forward to get the goals and can see this is where Mr Duff is clearly having early influence. I believe Cheltenham are capable of turning things around and fully expect to get the points needed to pull away from the drop zone.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:If we play consistently like yesterday no reason why we cannot win several of those games. Failure to win at least three and we are likely getting relegated and Duff the sack.

Even if we do plod our way to relegation with ‘good performance draws’ I think Duff should stay and be in charge of the root and branch rebuild both on and off the pitch.
He's ten games without a win, if over the next ten he's only won one or two then I would want him sacked. You cannot go half a season with so few victories.
CTFC03
Can't believe it's taken him this long to play 3-5-2, let's stick with it please.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:

He's ten games without a win, if over the next ten he's only won one or two then I would want him sacked. You cannot go half a season with so few victories.
And the money comes from where?

Any club which gets through three managers plus interims in a season is a crisis club and relegation is usually a certainty. I think it is more likely we will go down with yet another change than if we stick with Duff and let him continue to build.
Robin
The money comes from the club, having banked £1.5million+ we can surely afford to terminate if results do not improve. I still feel that's a way off but it will come if we don't start winning games.
Red Duke
Robin wrote:The money comes from the club, having banked £1.5million+ we can surely afford to terminate if results do not improve. I still feel that's a way off but it will come if we don't start winning games.
Alas, poor Robin, all the money has been spent.
CTFC03
I know the Johnson's got a cut of it but I wonder what they've done with the rest of it. Didn't somebody say a while ago that it was cheaper to pay off players under contract as opposed to them staying?
vickeryc
Red Duke wrote:
Robin wrote:The money comes from the club, having banked £1.5million+ we can surely afford to terminate if results do not improve. I still feel that's a way off but it will come if we don't start winning games.
Alas, poor Robin, all the money has been spent.
If true, it reinforces the argument that it was ridiculous to sell Eisa with two years left on his contract and with no apparent pressure from the player to leave the club.
asl
CTFC03 wrote:I know the Johnson's got a cut of it
Do you?
CTFC03
It's what I'm told from somebody who used to have a role at the club but isn't there anymore.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:It's what I'm told from somebody who used to have a role at the club but isn't there anymore.
:lol:
Nesty
I was told the same by a chap down the pub who was the next door neighbour to a mother of a sister of a postman who was married to a niece of one of the nurses who looked after GJ when he had his heart operation
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I was told the same by a chap down the pub who was the next door neighbour to a mother of a sister of a postman who was married to a niece of one of the nurses who looked after GJ when he had his heart operation
I overheard someone on the bus saying they overheard the chap telling you in the pub.

They also said they were going to make a bet on McCoulskey being our top scorer.
THECHOIRBOY
Talking of hearsay I actually did hear the chairman say on Saturday there is no way Duff would be sacked this season and he has every confidence it will be turned round.
Nesty
Nesty wrote:I was told the same by a chap down the pub who was the next door neighbour to a mother of a sister of a postman who was married to a niece of one of the nurses who looked after GJ when he had his heart operation
I overheard someone on the bus saying they overheard the chap telling you in the pub.

They also said they were going to make a bet on McCoulskey being our top scorer.
and that the entire Burnley U23 side were coming here on loan
Ralph
CTFC03 wrote:It's what I'm told from somebody who used to have a role at the club but isn't there anymore.
Sounds a lot like OTC. Lol
Si Robin
Ralph wrote:
Was it Gary Johnson? :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
And Robin!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Talking of hearsay I actually did hear the chairman say on Saturday there is no way Duff would be sacked this season and he has every confidence it will be turned round.
Pure and simple.
Shade
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Talking of hearsay I actually did hear the chairman say on Saturday there is no way Duff would be sacked this season and he has every confidence it will be turned round.
Pure and simple.
Many won't, but I appreciated that.
asl
There was no way I'd have admitted to it.
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:
I had no intention on making post on this thread until Ralph brought up my name which obviously allows me to comment.
I don’t know the name of this mysterious guy who had a role in the club but who is no longer with CTFC.
However with that information I think it can only be one of two people with knowledge of the finances connected to Eisa’s transfer.
They are Gary Johnson & Paul Baker.
GJ is an experienced savvy manager who probably had it written into his contract that he would be rewarded on a future sale for Eisa. But I don’t think he would talk about it except to his accountant.
Therefore my guess is that it is PB, who may not have been club chairman when Eisa was sold but was Chairman when GJ & Eisa signed for CTFC. He will assuredly have inside knowledge of monies connected to transfers during his tenure in office.

And I don’t know where Eisa’s transfer money has gone.
Shade
Oh bore off. It was a throwaway comment, not an invitation to talk 9 lines of c!#p.
Robin
Notts County - DRAW
Newport - WIN
Bury - Loss
Grimsby - WIN
Port Vale - LOSE
Swindon - DRAW
MK Dons - Loss
FGR - DRAW
Yeovil - WIN

I would take this I think, probably minimum we need. If you look at that list though there are very winnable games in there, and only MK DOns of the top teams.
Ralph
Shade wrote:Oh bore off. It was a throwaway comment, not an invitation to talk 9 lines of c!#p.
Exactly Shade. You are correct on all counts
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ralph wrote:
I had no intention on making post on this thread until Ralph brought up my name which obviously allows me to comment.

No just having your name mentioned does not allow you to comment. We allow you to comment.. For now
Johnsons Red Army
Robin wrote:Notts County - DRAW
Newport - WIN
Bury - Loss
Grimsby - WIN
Port Vale - LOSE
Swindon - DRAW
MK Dons - Loss
FGR - DRAW
Yeovil - WIN

I would take this I think, probably minimum we need. If you look at that list though there are very winnable games in there, and only MK DOns of the top teams.
Have you seen us play this season? I don't think we have a chance of only losing 3 out of the next 9, regardless of who we play. Granted, you did say you would take it rather than predict it will actually happen.

Sincerely hope to be proven wrong.
Robin
Oh I'm less than happy with the shambles we have fell into however we should have beaten FGR away and MK Dons aside it's largely middle of the road and a few struggling teams. If we cannot get some wins in those then we deserve to get relegated I'm afraid.

As for the predictions it was more I would take those results rather than entirely optimistic we will get them.
CTFC03
Enough of the mickey taking, christ almighty some of us get told bits and bobs from time to time from a truthful source.