Our former manager...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Mr G Johnson has won manager of the month for October for his efforts at Torquay, in his first full month in charge. Four wins and a draw, 16 goals scored.

Note: This is information on a previous manager. It is not a dig at anybody, nor a claim that we should have kept him as manager.
Johnsons Red Army
Congrats to Gary!

Just a matter of time until we will be playing him and Torquay if this carries on, hopefully still in League 2!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
One of those draws was an injury time equaliser against them away from home after playing with ten men for some time.

Gulls are going up. No doubt about that.

Winnable cup tie at home to Woking on the weekend.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:One of those draws was an injury time equaliser against them away from home after playing with ten men for some time.

I'm not as confident as you are, the Conference South is a competitive league and they still have plenty to do. I was not impressed with them against City earlier this year. And as for getting back into the league, more chance of plating them in the Conference (maybe South :))
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:One of those draws was an injury time equaliser against them away from home after playing with ten men for some time.

I'm not as confident as you are, the Conference South is a competitive league and they still have plenty to do. I was not impressed with them against City earlier this year. And as for getting back into the league, more chance of plating them in the Conference (maybe South :))
I am not confident, I am certain. It was about this time of the year our Conference title win became a certainty, and Torquay look to me to be the same. Might have to settle for play offs but title still likely imo.

Yes, we may well be playing them next season unless we start winning games ASAP. And they would have a better ground, better momentum and a manager with more experience of promotion from the Conference so it would not be an easy game either.
Nesty
GJ's record of managing non league teams is exemplary -
Robin
Nesty wrote:GJ's record of managing non league teams is exemplary -
So is his record with football league clubs (largely).
Lord Elpuz
Well done Gary, really pleased for him, particularly because a lot of people believed he was a has-been / yesterday’s man / coasting to retirement etc. Shows he still has the fight and determination to be a winner.
Nesty
The BBC Radio commentators made the point today that despite us having 29 players signed on at one time we havent got a decent central midfielder. that says it all. I think that goes for most positions but of course the pro Johnson fans cant see that ,
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:Well done Gary, really pleased for him, particularly because a lot of people believed he was a has-been / yesterday’s man / coasting to retirement etc. Shows he still has the fight and determination to be a winner.
Kalala managed more shots today so far than our entire team, according to data reported by BBC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:The BBC Radio commentators made the point today that despite us having 29 players signed on at one time we havent got a decent central midfielder. that says it all. I think that goes for most positions but of course the pro Johnson fans cant see that ,
Our best CMs are playing defence (Tozer) and wide (Maddox).
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Lord Elpuz wrote:Well done Gary, really pleased for him, particularly because a lot of people believed he was a has-been / yesterday’s man / coasting to retirement etc. Shows he still has the fight and determination to be a winner.
Kalala managed more shots today so far than our entire team, according to data reported by BBC.
i wonder if we will regret letting hm go
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
i wonder if we will regret letting hm go
No wondering needed. It was clear after he ran Carlisle ragged in that blistering first half that he was our most exciting and dynamic attacking player.
Lord Elpuz
Makes me wonder whether Gary taking Kalala was a “pay-off in lieu” of some of Gary’s contract that we owed? It didn’t make any sense to me that we just let Kalala go, particularly as he had been on the bench in games before he left. Gary is astute enough to realise the potential of the player and perhaps made an offer that he took £xx pay-off, plus Kalvin Kalala as part of the deal?
horlickfanclub
Bubbles burst.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Torquay 4-0 up at half time today, against Concord who were 8th at kick off.

Gulls up to fourth now, just four points behind the leaders.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Torquay 4-0 up at half time today, against Concord who were 8th at kick off.

Gulls up to fourth now, just four points behind the leaders.
Which followed on a 4-1 win in the week. They are going to p!ss all over the league.
Alf
Time to move on.
Shade
Why? We're interested in what a former manager is doing at his new club, a club that should really still be a League 2 rival of ours.
We did it last season with Yates at Solihull Moors, too.
Alf
Exactly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Exactly.
You could ignore the threads in question at let those who are interested in what former managers and players are doing discuss that?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Relentless from Torquay. Another regulation win 2-0 away today and just a point off top spot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another away game against the side in 6th place and another 2-0 win for the Gulls.

Torquay now two points clear at the top, albeit from playing two more games than the two sides below. One of these sides comes to Plainmoor on the weekend so the gap could start looking a lot bigger very soon.

(Happy for this to move to other footy).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Top of the table clash a difficult game? Nope, Gulls 3-1 up going into closing minutes as the relentless march to promotion continues.
horlickfanclub
The plans for the ground move have been scuppered.Will the property developers move on and pull the plug on the big spending?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:The plans for the ground move have been scuppered.Will the property developers move on and pull the plug on the big spending?
Who are you talking about?
joes dad
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45810146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oh, Truro City’s new stadium in Cornwall. I thought maybe Horlick was talking about Torquay.

Truro returning to their old ground will be beneficial for Torquay due to less pitch wear and tear!
horlickfanclub
I was talking about Torquay.
https://www.devonlive.com/news/plans-ne ... um-2302151" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SHANDY VOR
Oh, Truro City’s new stadium in Cornwall. I thought maybe Horlick was talking about Torquay.

Truro returning to their old ground will be beneficial for Torquay due to less pitch wear and tear!
Yawn.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:

Yawn.
Gulls winning every week boring you?
Shade
Bizarre that Torquay would be looking at a new ground so soon after redeveloping a new stand and dropping two divisions!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Bizarre that Torquay would be looking at a new ground so soon after redeveloping a new stand and dropping two divisions!
Money. If owners and developers make cash then for them it makes sense. Proposing to build on a park and nature reserve less sensible.
Shade
I'm absolutely lost for words and in complete shock... Aaron Downes left Cheltenham officially yesterday, and has today announced that he is Gary Johnson's new assistant manager at Torquay. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Robin
GJ wanted him as assistant here rather than Milton.