Annual RCS countdown: 12 wins needed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I usually start my countdown to safety / playoffs / promotion after Christmas, but the desperation of the current run (the worst or second worst run of results in my 20 years of season ticket buying?) means I am starting now.

12 wins and 30 games to get them.

This will take us to 47 points which with the odd draw as well will guarantee safety.
Shade
If we can get 3 before New Year, I'm confident we'll get 9 in the second half of the season.
asl
I wasn't there on Saturday but, of the games I *have* seen, we are far and away the worst team I've seen this season. Are there two clubs worse than us this year?
Shade
Based on Saturday and the two results whilst playing 3-5-2, yes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1 win down. 11 to go. 29 games to get them.
Robin
Great win today but it's going to be tight. I can't see Macclesfield surviving so realistically one from ourselves, Notts, Cambridge, Morecambe or Grimsby.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Great win today but it's going to be tight. I can't see Macclesfield surviving so realistically one from ourselves, Notts, Cambridge, Morecambe or Grimsby.
Plus there is always one or two clubs who drop like a stone with an awful run in the new year.

Yeovil and Vale could easily be dragged into it if they have a bad run.
Robin
Agree RCS, feel we need to be hitting the January window with at least 20 points, then if recruitment is good we should be fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Agree RCS, feel we need to be hitting the January window with at least 20 points, then if recruitment is good we should be fine.
We are in 14 points now. Seven League games between now and January.

Four of those at home. It would be very disappointing not to beat Newport and Grimsby at home, and we should be expecting to beat FGR too.

23 points is my minimum expectation.
Ben3
RCS, I would look up rather than down

Today the teams above us (morecambe and Grimsby) won. Good I say, concertina the league, keep the top half in touch

It’s a marathon not a sprint
Robin
Given we've not won at home since April, we need at least two wins from FGR, Grimsby and Newport in my view. Swindon away also a good chance to pick up three points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:RCS, I would look up rather than down

Today the teams above us (morecambe and Grimsby) won. Good I say, concertina the league, keep the top half in touch

It’s a marathon not a sprint
I am looking up.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Great win today but it's going to be tight. I can't see Macclesfield surviving so realistically one from ourselves, Notts, Cambridge, Morecambe or Grimsby.
Plus there is always one or two clubs who drop like a stone with an awful run in the new year.

I would definitely add Swindon to the mix, they look to be in a lot of trouble.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I would definitely add Swindon to the mix, they look to be in a lot of trouble.
Well they will have the best training ground (for football and race horses) in the Conference: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-w ... e-46142336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Let's not forget Newport are third. Whereas we go out to win every game, Grimsby and FGR should be the ones the fans are looking at as realistic wins, given our winless home League streak is now at over 7 months. Swindon and Port Vale away also seem winnable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
2 down.

10 more needed.

28 games to get them.
Shade
2 out of those "3 wins required before January"...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
3 wins down.

9 more needed.

26 more games remain.

That’s 20 points, so Robin’s pessimistic target reached.

My minimum expectation of 23 points before January still achievable with four games still left in December.

Away against Tom Pope next week won’t be easy but if we can get a win there we half the six point gap he has over us.
Shade
I'm assuming Tyrone Barnett isn't allowed to play against Vale?
I'd take a point at Vale. I'm not sure of the stats but it feels like our record there is woeful.
Then Swindon away, I'd hope we can push for a win.
MK Dons at home on Boxing Day, not expecting anything but Boxing Day throws up some funny scores.
FGR to end the year...bound to be a draw.
Yeovil on NYD, probably lose as we always seem to when we play them around xmas and New Year away but it should be 3 points.

10 points between now and 2nd January. I'd take that! That's another 10 points in 5 games, matching the last 5 games.

3 games until the mid-point of the season. Another 4 points would see us on 24 points. Double that and we'll finish on 48, but we should be looking at A LOT more points in the second half as we play a lot of the "lesser" teams at home. Thinking out loud.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swindon on a good run currently. Just four points off play offs and eight points off top three.

Good question re: Barnett.

Six points from the four games would be sufficient for me. Couple of away draws, can accept being held at home by title chasing MK, then beat FGR.

Though obviously winning one of the first three games reduces the pressure going into FGR match. We can’t really afford three games without a win, let alone four.
Shade
It is a tough run though, as you say. We're always told win your home games, anything away is a bonus. I can see us getting 0 points in the next 3 games in all honesty but it wouldn't overly concern me as we'll face much easier games. I'd be looking to bounce back with 6 points from FGR and Yeovil though, for sure.
Fuller
Don't think Barnett can play Saturday.

Might give McAlinden a chance ...................... Nah, more likely Jonesy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:3 wins down.

9 more needed.

26 more games remain.

That’s 20 points, so Robin’s pessimistic target reached.

My minimum expectation of 23 points before January still achievable with four games still left in December.

Away against Tom Pope next week won’t be easy but if we can get a win there we half the six point gap he has over us.
It’s been a while now but pleasing to update after the great attacking performance today.

Four wins down.

Eight wins needed.

23 games left.

25 points now on the board. Ahead of many expectations.

Big release of pressure today. FGR almost like a free-hit. We can go all out and not fear a defeat.
Shade
Shame for us that Macclesfield have started winning otherwise it would feel like we're almost home and dry after that performance. But still, after that performance I'm very sure that there are many worse teams in the division than us and we'll comfortably head towards mid-table.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Realised I didn’t update after the slaughter of the hapless Way’s Yeovil.

So taking into account that, and today:

Six down, and six to go. Half way there.

17 games remain.
Shade
Fingers crossed 4 of those will be out of the way after Port Vale...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Fingers crossed 4 of those will be out of the way after Port Vale...
Seven down, five to go. On the home street.

16 games left. Easier than one in three.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
8 of the 12 wins secured.

4 wins required.

13 games left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
9 down 3 from 12 needed.
Shade
Realistically, we only need 6 points though. I can't see 2 of the bottom 4 getting another 12/15 points.
Robin
I'd go as far as to saying one win and a couple of draws should see us mathematically safe, no way the bottom four all get over 45 points.
shevates
7 more points i feel will do us, the bottom 4 or 5 are not going to miraculously find championship winning form and shoot up the table, there, there because there poor. With 3/4 of the season gone the table dosnt lie.
Shade
It feels like Notts and Macc showed that they were going to push on and one or the other was going to be the club to pull off the annual miracle but maybe it was a false dawn. No doubt they're both doing better but not enough. I still fancy Yeovil and Vale for the drop though. Even more so after seeing Vale's toothless display on Saturday.
Cheltenhamshire10
Shade wrote:It feels like Notts and Macc showed that they were going to push on and one or the other was going to be the club to pull off the annual miracle but maybe it was a false dawn. No doubt they're both doing better but not enough. I still fancy Yeovil and Vale for the drop though. Even more so after seeing Vale's toothless display on Saturday.
I was so surprised how lifeless Vale were up front. Prior to the game if someone said we'd signed Tom Pope I would've been excited, now as I'm a fickle football fan I would be reluctant to go for him if Vale go down.
8 goals in 30 games though which is okay.

Can't decide if he had an off day, our defenders had him sussed out, or at 33 he's not the player he once was.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
Shade wrote:It feels like Notts and Macc showed that they were going to push on and one or the other was going to be the club to pull off the annual miracle but maybe it was a false dawn. No doubt they're both doing better but not enough. I still fancy Yeovil and Vale for the drop though. Even more so after seeing Vale's toothless display on Saturday.
I was so surprised how lifeless Vale were up front. Prior to the game if someone said we'd signed Tom Pope I would've been excited, now as I'm a fickle football fan I would be reluctant to go for him if Vale go down.
8 goals in 30 games though which is okay.

Can't decide if he had an off day, our defenders had him sussed out, or at 33 he's not the player he once was.
Having overlooked Akinde and Dennis when their clubs went down last season I hope this time we do enquire about Pope if Vale go, or even Dennis if County go (though I guess he will be Cod bound).

Also, surprised no-one pointed out Courtney Duffus scored Yeovil’s winner on the weekend after signing a two and half year deal on deadline day. If the hapless Way takes them down, would you like to see us make a bid to bring Duffus home?