Cheltenham Town v Grimsby Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/GrimsbyH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
YEEEEES!

Thomas! And Jones winning the pen. Squad game.

Booooo! McKeown just a yellow. Should have been red but at least we beat the tossser!
Ben3
Good result.

8-12th still realistic and things looking up

Well done Duffy
Nesty
A great day at the Office, other results could not really have been better. I was saying a while back that we needed to limp by until January without being too far adrift. Credit must go to MD for turning it around, He has already commented on changes he wants to make in the window. things are looking up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:A great day at the Office, other results could not really have been better. I was saying a while back that we needed to limp by until January without being too far adrift. Credit must go to MD for turning it around, He has already commented on changes he wants to make in the window. things are looking up.
As much as another Cooper calamity would have been funny, it’s good to see Yeovil in such dire straits.

With the hapless Way still in charge against all logic, we couldn’t handpick a better team to have our game in had against.
art vandalay
Great result, poor performance and distinctly second best for at least an hour. No attacking threat other than from Broom, another top class Flinders display, Nige played well and was missed when he went off.
Alf
Sam Jones makes things happen. Would like to have seen him on earlier. Great result for us though, we had that little bit of good fortune today that has deserted us in some games this season.
Ben3
We’ve got a tough month ahead, apart from FGR which should be three easy points. But I look forward to January, the way duff has improved us and is sorting out the back room staff suggest he’ll make strategic and successful releases of players and hopefully some good acquisitions
drgm
I hope he does
Thomas and Clement are no way near good enough for this level and Varney isn't far behind.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Sam Jones makes things happen. Would like to have seen him on earlier. Great result for us though, we had that little bit of good fortune today that has deserted us in some games this season.
Careful now, those who think Jones is symptomatic of our worst summer recruitment of all time and couldn’t wait to join the “Jones must never play for our club again” bandwagon after the Oldham game will be on your case! :lol:
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Alf wrote:Sam Jones makes things happen. Would like to have seen him on earlier. Great result for us though, we had that little bit of good fortune today that has deserted us in some games this season.
Careful now, those who think Jones is symptomatic of our worst summer recruitment of all time and couldn’t wait to join the “Jones must never play for our club again” bandwagon after the Oldham game will be on your case! :lol:
I thought that Jones was one of Russ's marquee signings.
Robin
Jones showed some passion and won the penalty but other than that I don't think I've seen him have a good game in a CTFC shirt. The signings made by Milton need to be the first out the door in January and Duffo can 3-4 of his own players ideally a striker and two central midfielders.

I'd disagree about Varney by the way, he's easily our best striker and works extremely hard too. Him and Barnett only forwards good enough right now (not Jones, McAlinden or Mooney).

My ratings:
Flinders - rarely troubled first half but pulled off two big saves in the second to stop us going behind (7)
Broom - caused them lots of problems first half, not great defensively but makes up for it going forward (7)
Mullins - Not as imposing as he was at the start of the season but should start ahead of Forster I feel (6)
Tozer - pick of the centre halves, shows GJ made a good signing (7)
Boyle - solid (6)
Hussey - Didn't get forward as much as normal, especially in the second half but otherwise ok (6)
Atangana - our best midfielder on the day, great energy and ball retention (7)
Clements - I've been a critic but I felt he did pretty well first half, second half he went missing too often (6)
Maddox - not at his best but still glided past players in the first half (6)
Barnett - Worked really hard and wins his headers, we should keep him for the season on loan (6)
Varney - ran all day long but never going to score a ton of goals for us either (6)

Subs:
Addei - another GJ signing that was quickly written off but he offers something and is a great weapon to have from the bench (7)
Thomas - He's an ok player but watching him today was super frustrating, he alls plays neat and tidy football but never any inventive passes, he will jog around but rarely gets stuck into a big tackle either, his introduction and the lose of Nige was a big factor to the way we fell apart in the second half however huge credit for the penalty so I'll increase his rating (6)
Jones - again I've been a critic and he's been a poor signing but loved his passion after winning the penalty today (6)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
I thought that Jones was one of Russ's marquee signings.
Good point. Scored the winner on debut I recall? Still one of the best goals to games ratio in the squad!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Jones showed some passion and won the penalty but other than that I don't think I've seen him have a good game in a CTFC shirt. The signings made by Milton need to be the first out the door in January and Duffo can 3-4 of his own players ideally a striker and two central midfielders.

I'd disagree about Varney by the way, he's easily our best striker and works extremely hard too. Him and Barnett only forwards good enough right now (not Jones, McAlinden or Mooney).
Is Barnett not a Milton signing? (May have been one if the strikers we were reported ‘close’ to signing on the Monday before the Macclesfield events, but still goes down as a Milton one I think?)
Robin
Yes Barnett is a Milton signing and probably the only one we'll keep (even that isn't certain). I make it the following:
Barnett - done OK, wins plenty of headers and a great presence I'd keep him but we need to add another striker.
Mooney - Not done a lot
Field - Been a disappointment
Alcock - not had a consistent run in the side and with the form of Broom and return of Long very likely to leave.
Clements - Been poor largely but has picked up and shown a few promising signs in recent games.
Sam Jones - let the side down too often, not had much positive impact apart from scoring an open goal at Cambridge and winning a pen today.

As I say release the above apart from Barnett then add another striker, bring Manny back and add two decent central midfielders and we should be fine.
The Old TomCat
Interesting weekend for both Gloucestershire clubs.
Both teams score winning goal at 90+ minutes.
The Football League Paper had one player from each team in their TEAM OF THE DAY: Ryan Broom [Cheltenham Town FC] & Rueben Reid [FGR].
Surprised by both choices. Scott Flinders scored 8 points and was nominated as paper’s STAR MAN while Lloyd James was nominated as FGR’s STAR MAN.
Understandable the FGR win at Yeovil was cheered on by Cheltenham. It dropped the Glovers down table to one place above Cheltenham and into the relegation scramble with just one point better off than The Robins.
Up to 4th off bottom place and 4 points [plus GD] above relegation spot is starting to look comforting for Cheltenham.
With both Gloucestershire teams in good form it bodes well for that last game of year. :D

Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:Interesting weekend for both Gloucestershire clubs.
The Football League Paper had one player from each team in their TEAM OF THE DAY: Ryan Broom [Cheltenham Town FC] & Rueben Reid [FGR].
Surprised by both choices. Scott Flinders scored 8 points and was nominated as paper’s STAR MAN while Lloyd James was nominated as FGR’s STAR MAN.
Understandable the FGR win at Yeovil was cheered on by Cheltenham. It dropped the Glovers down table to one place above Cheltenham and into the relegation scramble with just one point better off than The Robins.
Up to 4th off bottom place and 4 points [plus GD] above relegation spot is starting to look comforting for Cheltenham.
With both Gloucestershire teams in good form it bodes well for that last game of year. :D

Please be assured that there was no cheering going on when I heard Yeovil lost. :arrow:
Robin
Listen to the guy, he's deluded if he thinks we are bothered about FGR result at Yeovil.
Ihearye
Not too sure what Flinders needs to have done to get more than a 7? Broom v good first half. Second half largely ineffective, puzzling. Tozer, worried me a lot in second half when WT seemed to have the measure of him. On balance a draw would have been a fair result but very happy to come away with a win. You have to wonder what is in their heads when the manager is standing yelling at them to push up and away from the 18 yard line, but they just stay rooted to the spot?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Not too sure what Flinders needs to have done to get more than a 7? Broom v good first half. Second half largely ineffective, puzzling. Tozer, worried me a lot in second half when WT seemed to have the measure of him. On balance a draw would have been a fair result but very happy to come away with a win. You have to wonder what is in their heads when the manager is standing yelling at them to push up and away from the 18 yard line, but they just stay rooted to the spot?
Fear? Lack of confidence in the man alongside them to push up and not play the oppo onside? Tiredness knowing if they push up they can’t get back? Wanting to push up but can’t find the right time to do it?
Ihearye
ully understand all the possibilities ......
Fear, lack of confidence, off side – was not there in the first half. Would lead one to think that the confidence in themselves is slightly fragile.
The others – if the manager who trains them every day and calls the shots wants them to get out of the penalty area and up the pitch. Then that is what they should be doing. We always seem to, whether consciously or sub consciously, to sit very deep and defend a lead. Something which is self fulfilling it its outcome, more often than not.
My very simplistic view is that, they should obey the managers orders. If it unravels because of that, then lessons learnt.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:ully understand all the possibilities ......
Fear, lack of confidence, off side – was not there in the first half. Would lead one to think that the confidence in themselves is slightly fragile.
The others – if the manager who trains them every day and calls the shots wants them to get out of the penalty area and up the pitch. Then that is what they should be doing. We always seem to, whether consciously or sub consciously, to sit very deep and defend a lead. Something which is self fulfilling it its outcome, more often than not.
My very simplistic view is that, they should obey the managers orders. If it unravels because of that, then lessons learnt.
I completely agree.
drgm
The Old TomCat wrote:Interesting weekend for both Gloucestershire clubs.

Here he is. Our resident twerp
Please update me on the signing of Eisa. While you're at it give me an update of attendance figures
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just 2,483 in the home end at WR. I wonder if that includes the school kids?

Pretty poor. Although after two home league wins, hopefully Boxing Day has 3,000 in the home ends.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Listen to the guy, he's deluded if he thinks we are bothered about FGR result at Yeovil.
Interesting in the sense that it was the two worst managers in the league head to head. For most of the match Cooper’s slow sideways passing game was ineffective against a dire Yeovil side. Then when FGR went for it with proper attacking play late on, Way couldn’t get his team to see out injury time without conceding two goals vs ten men.

So the lesson is that neither side should give us anything to fear when their respective sub-standard managers bring them to WR/JRS.
Shade
Well, here we are on Monday and I'm still of the opinion that I've never seen us play as poorly for so much of a game and come away with a win. Obviously, I've seen us play much worse, but not come away with a win. However, we should really have been 2 or 3 up by the 55 minute mark when we started dropping deeper and deeper, much like we did against Newport and Mansfield, which is a worrying trend but we haven't lost any of those games and we're starting to move upwards, so... nervy, not great, but at least we're getting points on the board, which is all I wanted 6 weeks ago.

McKeown and Grimsby...blip last year but they're still our bitches.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Well, here we are on Monday and I'm still of the opinion that I've never seen us play as poorly for so much of a game and come away with a win. Obviously, I've seen us play much worse, but not come away with a win. However, we should really have been 2 or 3 up by the 55 minute mark when we started dropping deeper and deeper, much like we did against Newport and Mansfield, which is a worrying trend but we haven't lost any of those games and we're starting to move upwards, so... nervy, not great, but at least we're getting points on the board, which is all I wanted 6 weeks ago.

McKeown and Grimsby...blip last year but they're still our bitches.
Aye. F*ck McKeown.
The Old TomCat
[quote="drgm
Here he is. Our resident wise person
Please update me on the signing of Eisa. While you're at it give me an update of attendance figures[/quote]

Eisa: No idea what is happening to him.
If you check back you’ll see that I have offered no comment/opinion towards his future.

Attendances:
Home – CTFC 2783, FGR 2593
Away – FGR 4661, CTFC 4180
All matches – FGR -3676, CTFC – 3482
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... dances/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
drgm wrote: Here he is. Our resident wise person
Please update me on the signing of Eisa. While you're at it give me an update of attendance figures
If you check back you’ll see that I have offered no comment/opinion towards his future.

Attendances:

CTFC 2783, FGR 2593

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... dances/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have edited your attendance figure information to show relevant detail only.
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
drgm wrote: Here he is. Our resident wise person

Attendances:

CTFC 2783, FGR 2593

I have edited your attendance figure information to show relevant detail only.
:lol: Is this clown still banging on about attendances of other clubs?!

It sounded like FGR had more supporters in the commentary box than they did in the stands at Yeovil from the Radio Egg Chaser match report on Saturday.
drgm
The Old TomCat wrote:[quote="drgm
Here he is. Our resident wise person

Attendances:
Home – CTFC 2783, FGR 2593
Away – FGR 4661, CTFC 4180
All matches – FGR -3676, CTFC – 3482
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... dances/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

You never did have any idea about Eisa. You jumped to a conclusion based on hearsay and couldn't wait
to get on here to crow about FGR signing him on loan from Bristol City. Deluded tw*t.
drgm
It sounded like FGR had more supporters in the commentary box than they did in the stands at Yeovil from the Radio Egg Chaser match report on Saturday.[/quote]

and like many others in the ground they benefitted from free tickets lol!
asl
drgm wrote:You never did have any idea about Eisa. You jumped to a conclusion based on hearsay and couldn't wait
to get on here to crow about FGR signing him on loan from Bristol City. Deluded tw*t.
No, he didn't. He posted a link to the FGR forum that had been started by UptheGreen. That's all.
drgm
Sorry but isn't that the same thing?
asl
Uh... No? I didn't see any crowing.