if all fit and available

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
what would our best XI be ??

Also how far away from being fit are Mullins and Boyle? - if we could get these back then we have other options for midfield
Robin
Our best eleven is 5-3-2 as follows:
Flinders (GK)
Broom (RWB)
Mullins (RCB)
Tozer (CB)
Boyle (LCB)
Hussey (LWB)
Atangana (DMC)
Clements (MC)
Maddox (AMC)
Barnett (SC)
Varney (SC)
Subs:
Lovett, Forster, Long, Pring, Addai, Waters, Duku.

I think I am missing Lloyd, Bower, Thomas, Debayo, Smith from the squad of which Thomas could make a case for the bench.
Robin
Regarding Boyle, he should be back soon and Mullins/Long next month.
Robin
I realised I am missing Alcock and Dawson, both of which should be on the bench, I'd say ahead of Pring and one of Waters/Duku.
CTFCfan99
Pretty much agree with that although to be honest I'd probably have Pring over Tozer on current form as he's made a fair few errors leading to goals recently. Forster also very poor yesterday, I'd be inclined to give Bower a game or two while we wait for Boyle and Mullins to return.
Robin
I thought Bower looked like a rabbit in headlights at times yesterday. Don't believe he's ready to start based on that cameo but clearly has the physique and potential to make it longer term.
I-Love-CTFC
Tozer is a liability and Waters is here to start games not sit on the bench.
Robin
Waters may be here to start games but who would you drop for him?
I-Love-CTFC
I think he starts ahead of Maddox next game.
Robin
Hmmm I wouldn't make that change, I know Maddox hasn't been on the top of his game but he's better than Billy at dribbling and ball retention.
RichardMoss
I’d play Waters/Addai alongside Barnett/Varney. Playing both Barnett and Varney lacks a bit of mobility IMO but each of them would definitely benefit from having a player with an engine and pace alongside them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paperboy
..I was a little alarmed at how much timber Billy is carrying nowadays.

Was he wearing Gavin Caines old shorts?
Shade
The trouble is, whereas this formation suits the squad much better and results have picked up compared to earlier in the season, we won't get to the next level as there are certain players that are not good enough to play the style that Michael Duff wants to play, which is to keep it on the ground and pass it out from the back. Forster and Tozer are not ball players. They're get it back and whack it forward defenders. Tozer's been caught out for three goals in the last two home matches trying to play this way and Forster usually gets to a certain point and then just hoofs it towards the penalty area.
Robin
Tozer not a ball player? I'd argue the complete opposite his distribution from the back is easily the best at the club. Forster and Boyle I would totally agree.
horlickfanclub
Read Shades post again Robin please reference the three goals he has cost us. The news has got out and teams are shutting him down.
Shade
I won't disagree he can hit a great 50 yard diagonal but he got caught on the ball I think it was twice against FGR that lead to their goals and his clearance for Tranmere's third was terrible, giving them possession back in a dangerous area. Three passes later and it was 3-1. Maybe, then, it's a case of he needs to think he's not as much of a ball player and just smack it clear/out sometimes.
Cheltenhamshire10
The way we play is being found out a little bit now. Tozer playing it from the back is our best option. Forster needs to be there for his aerial ability and the first ball. But his ball playing skills are awful. This puts more pressure on Tozer to play it out from the back which teams are realising.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Read Shades post again Robin please reference the three goals he has cost us. The news has got out and teams are shutting him down.
Yes he has cost us 3 goals and maybe 4 points to an extent (being exposed, not giving out all options, Hussey at fault for second goal etc means the fault is shared across more than just Tozer) but the other side of the coin is how many points has he gained us since going back there? Given during the last 10 games, since he moved back there in this system, we have been towards the top of the form table. Again a team effort but Tozer has been important in that system - so is the net result of points gained and points lost positive? I would say so.

Plus, it is Duff who keeps saying he is trying to get the players to keep trying to play the way he wants and keep the ball and pass out from the back - hopefully the players will learn when it is necessary to punt it and when to try and follow Duff’s vision.

So, if we drop Tozer, which player would we want in his place keeping and passing the ball from central defence?
I-Love-CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Read Shades post again Robin please reference the three goals he has cost us. The news has got out and teams are shutting him down.
Yes he has cost us 3 goals and maybe 4 points to an extent (being exposed, not giving out all options, Hussey at fault for second goal etc means the fault is shared across more than just Tozer) but the other side of the coin is how many points has he gained us since going back there? Given during the last 10 games, since he moved back there in this system, we have been towards the top of the form table. Again a team effort but Tozer has been important in that system - so is the net result of points gained and points lost positive? I would say so.

Plus, it is Duff who keeps saying he is trying to get the players to keep trying to play the way he wants and keep the ball and pass out from the back - hopefully the players will learn when it is necessary to punt it and when to try and follow Duff’s vision.

So, if we drop Tozer, which player would we want in his place keeping and passing the ball from central defence?
Charlie Raglan.
Robin
I am concerned we are now moving Tozer into central midfielder and this new lad to move into the back three.