Paul Scholes

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Will be visiting Whaddon Road with his new team, Oldham, on 19th April. Very interesting the EFL has cleared him to take on the role of manager on an 18-month contract given he owns 10% of Salford City and there's a chance of Oldham v Salford in League 2 next season... (Salford currently 4 points off top but on a pretty poor run).

Also two ex-England players managing in League 2 in Campbell and Scholes. They obviously don't have the Lampard/Gerrard factor!
goalpost
The Gerrard factor, what managing a team in the Scottish Premiership. A division that Cheltenham Town have either transferred players to or from in recent seasons.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Will “Sol Cambell’s Macclesfield Town vs Paul Scholes’ Oldham Athletic” be the longest ever Football League fixture read out on the BBC?
Ben3
Not unless ‘Jordan Forsters Cheltenham Town’ get drawn against ‘That bloke from Barnwood— Sainsbury’s Forest Green Rovers’.

Otherwise know as Benglosico
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:Not unless ‘Jordan Forsters Cheltenham Town’ get drawn against ‘That bloke from Barnwood— Sainsbury’s Forest Green Rovers’.

Otherwise know as Benglosico
If you ask nicely I am sure someone will pick up your toys and dummy for you.
Shade
goalpost wrote:The Gerrard factor, what managing a team in the Scottish Premiership. A division that Cheltenham Town have either transferred players to or from in recent seasons.
I think Rangers are a little more high profile than Cheltenham and any other League 2 team... :roll:
leohoenig
According to this, a 10% stake is not considered a problem in relation to other clubs

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/ ... all-clubs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought 10% was the limit, remembering back to when Sky were buying shares in some of the Premier clubs, but were limited to 10%
I still think there is a clear case of a potential conflict, if Oldham and Salford are to play each other.

I have never managed to understand how UEFA have allowed RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg to both play in the Champions League
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
goalpost wrote:The Gerrard factor, what managing a team in the Scottish Premiership. A division that Cheltenham Town have either transferred players to or from in recent seasons.
I think Rangers are a little more high profile than Cheltenham and any other League 2 team... :roll:
now now, let the xenophobes have their moment :)
paperboy
I predict he will be there for less than one year either through loss of interest or poor results.
SHANDY VOR
Another factor is the prejudice towards gingers. And if you think I am making that up then let me tell you I undertook a study on the prevalence and longevity of ginger managers for my dissertation. Which incidentally is at odds with the same position for players, who are proportionately represented more than in the general population. Its not the colour of your hair that matters, its what you do with it.

Despite a brilliantly written thesis my dissertation received very low marks, probably because my degree was in languages and I didn't need to write one.

Any gingers post on here?
plymrob
RCS has this right. Ever noticed who rarely there is a reporter for Sky at any game we play? Sometimes for the better though The Eisa joke is back shame the Eisa is not.
paperboy
plymrob wrote:RCS has this right. Ever noticed who rarely there is a reporter for Sky at any game we play? Sometimes for the better though The Eisa joke is back shame the Eisa is not.
...can you translate that please ? :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
plymrob wrote:RCS has this right. Ever noticed who rarely there is a reporter for Sky at any game we play? Sometimes for the better though The Eisa joke is back shame the Eisa is not.
...can you translate that please ? :-)
“Look how rarely we have a reporter at the ground or get mentioned on Soccer Saturday or Final Score on match days. Especially the case, as RCS alluded to compared to teams like Macclesfield and Oldham who will now always get mentioned alongside their celebrity managers and will have more reports from their ground too. When we had Eisa, at least that was something for Jeff Stelling to look out for and we got mentioned more then.”

Got it now, Paperboy?

As an aside, on Saturday just gone on Final Score live on BBC, whilst Sol Campbell’s Macclesfield were being closely monitored, when Colchester scored their third goal Jason Mohammed said “Colchester are 3-0 up...but I don’t know who they are playing - it just went off the vidiprinter before I could see. Let me look... [*peers down and looks up on his own screen below the desk*] .. Cheltenham Town. Colchester are now 3-0 up against Cheltenham Town.”
plymrob
Sorry folks - I typed "who" instead of "how"... oh, and also left out a full stop. I'm still impressed with what I managed to write... Thank you RCS for translating.

Moderators please... in true 'Robins Nest' form... is the term 'paperboy' acceptable nowadays...? It is the 21st century...

Down memory lane... three rounds out of Tosh's in the old days... that will be from the early 1970s ... Happy days back then - being a paper person! To clarify... that meant delivering newspapers before and after school - and at weekends. Arthur Negus was my only (known) famous customer... (look him up)... but, as it turns out, I also played Subbuteo with Geoff Dyer (who he?) around that same era ...

Anyone remember 'Owzhat - in the small blue tin'? Other stuff now....sorry...
Red Duke
plymrob wrote:Sorry folks - I typed "who" instead of "how"... oh, and also left out a full stop. I'm still impressed with what I managed to write... Thank you RCS for translating.

Moderators please... in true 'Robins Nest' form... is the term 'paperboy' acceptable nowadays...? It is the 21st century...

Down memory lane... three rounds out of Tosh's in the old days... that will be from the early 1970s ... Happy days back then - being a paper person! To clarify... that meant delivering newspapers before and after school - and at weekends. Arthur Negus was my only (known) famous customer... (look him up)... but, as it turns out, I also played Subbuteo with Geoff Dyer (who he?) around that same era ...

I was a paperboy at St Marks. I had to be at the shop for 05:30 to mark up the papers. If somebody didn't turn up, I had to fill in to do their round. All before I got 08:06 bus to school.

Happy Days!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote:Sorry folks - I typed "who" instead of "how"... oh, and also left out a full stop. I'm still impressed with what I managed to write... Thank you RCS for translating.

I have an ‘Owzhat in a old tin. My friends have a more inferior plastic box. We love a game - played a 5 match test series during a weeek in Spain, for example.
cliffy90
Wow that didn't last long. Paul Scholes resigns after 31 days in charge, claiming he was misled by the club.
Shade
Beat me to it. What a joker. Misled. s#!t manager like the majority of the rest of the ex-scummers more like. 1 win in 7.
paperboy
paperboy wrote:I predict he will be there for less than one year either through loss of interest or poor results.
Well I was wildly wrong giving him up to a year.
bigdavejambo
Sky sports will be gutted after selecting their home match with Mansfield in the latest batch of TV fixtures
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pointless PR stunt to get some Twitter followers. The modern world in a nutshell.
Shade
bigdavejambo wrote:Sky sports will be gutted after selecting their home match with Mansfield in the latest batch of TV fixtures
:lol: Serves them bloody right. A nothing game for TV.
Alf
I was told he was originally told that he would have a free rein in the way the team was run but the Chairman reneged on this so he left.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Pointless PR stunt to get some Twitter followers. The modern world in a nutshell.
very true, you're telling me with all the contacts PS has in football he wasn't made aware of the owners involvement.

very tacky.
Red Duke
Maybe it is a case of his heart over-ruling his head. He believed what he was told by the owner but found out a leopard can't change its spots.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe he knew this was going to go public:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Almost guaranteed, I'd have said. Explains his swift exit, blaming the owners who apparently knew nothing of his gripes.