Financial results

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
CTFC recorded a loss of £119k last season.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... re-2539497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
Could explain where a lot of the Mo money went then.
Jerry St Clair
Just shows how fine the margins are at this level. A big 3rd round cup draw would have turned that into a profit at a stroke.
Robin
In contrast I think Lincoln recorded a loss over £650,00 on much bigger gates so it's probably par for the course for most league two teams now. Clearly we rely upon a good FA cup run (which we've not had for a while) or board handouts to get by otherwise. Equally with the Mo money we will likely make a bigger profit this season.
kora
I doubt it Robin, take off the money the Johnsons got, the loans we paid back and paying large wages to the likes of Mcalinden and we might just manage another loss.
Robin
I'm not convinced the Johnsons got a substantial amount of money either from the Mo sale or in severance. I know we paid a former chairman a significant amount too and clearly increased the budget but if we spent the entire initial down payment I'd be very surprised given the chairmans desire to raise the roof of the C&G in the summer.
Johnsons Red Army
Are you sure about the Mo money?

I heard on here from someone who heard from his neighbour who'd heard from his mate that both the Johnson's got a cut of the Eisa money :lol: .
SHANDY VOR
Don't listen to any of that numerical nonsense from Robin :)

Sounds like that debt would have been a profit had you decided to continue with the groundshare, particularly with the amount I was putting over the bar.
plymrob
The new chairman is really only noticeable by his lack of profile -but maybe that's just to a supporter who lives miles away. That said, best say nothing than promise what cannot be delivered.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Don't listen to any of that numerical nonsense from Robin :)

Sounds like that debt would have been a profit had you decided to continue with the groundshare, particularly with the amount I was putting over the bar.
When taking into account the additional cost to maintain the pitch which we obviously couldn’t afford, and the impact of not being able to maintain the pitch had on CTFC performances and attendances I would regard ending the ground share as a good financial move by CTFC.

Some will legitimately argue the pitch deterioration stopped us getting automatic promotion under Yates for example.

To me it is quite apparent that if the groundshare provided the requisite income to make the pitch acceptable we would have done so and the fact that we couldn’t afford to do so suggests the groundshare rent couldn’t cover those additional costs or make up for declining attendances.
Ben3
I swear it as my life long ambition: to get rich enough to become chairman and take the club through the gears.

Current board, previous ones are absolute heroes. I couldn’t do their job. I just want the filthy lucre to it for them to spend it.

I’m going to get euromillions rich and then we’ll see. Oh yes...then we will see, I will have such revenges that shall be the terror of the earth!!!
asl
My ambition in life was always to be a philanthropist.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:I swear it as my life long ambition: to get rich enough to become chairman and take the club through the gears.

Current board, previous ones are absolute heroes. I couldn’t do their job. I just want the filthy lucre to it for them to spend it.

I’m going to get euromillions rich and then we’ll see. Oh yes...then we will see, I will have such revenges that shall be the terror of the earth!!!
Jordan Forster £100,000 a week five year contract?
Ben3
I’d even give you a job as head of IT RCS
drgm
Given Lincoln's attendances and season ticket sales (and their success in cup
competitions) I can't believe they are losing half a million a season. They must be paying an absolute
fortune in wages if that is the case
leohoenig
Just to be clear, Lincoln did not make a loss of half a million in 2017/18
It was a whole million

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 03552?s=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Ben3 wrote:I swear it as my life long ambition: to get rich enough to become chairman and take the club through the gears.

Euromillions rich could probably get us to the Championship for a couple of seasons I guess.
Ihearye
doubt I would even contemplate the contemplation of giving a penny to any football manager, in the hope of getting a promotion.
Jerry St Clair
Shade wrote: Euromillions rich could probably get us to the Championship for a couple of seasons I guess.
Unlikely with FFP now. Wages in the Championship are now averaging close to £1m per player, per year. Our salary cost would be £20m+ straight away. We have nowhere near the income to sustainably support that and it's unlikely we ever would. We could go up, but would need to accept we'd come straight back down (probably in slightly embarrassing fashion).
Robin
There are exceptions Jerry such as Colchester, Yeovil, Burton and Scunthorpe all had spells in the Championship so I don't believe it's impossible for us to get there. However without better infrastructure we clearly couldn't sustain it over a period of more than a couple of seasons.

Regarding £20million a year wage bill surely Rotherham are not anywhere near that even with their new ground?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben just needs to give the club to the Trust to own but then buy a £20m a season matchday catering contract. Then we will have matchday income for a huge wage bill without contravening FFP.
little mo
Are these FFP rules worth the paper they are written on though. I have been reading Jon Parkins book "Feed the beast", and he said when he went to FGR they offered him more to drop into non-league than League One Chesterfield did, and on much smaller gates. So there is obviously a way round it, if you know how.
Si Robin
Not sure FFP was in force in the National League. It's why people assumed FGR would struggle to grips with it on promotion.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:Don't listen to any of that numerical nonsense from Robin :)

When taking into account the additional cost to maintain the pitch which we obviously couldn’t afford, and the impact of not being able to maintain the pitch had on CTFC performances and attendances I would regard ending the ground share as a good financial move by CTFC.

Some will legitimately argue the pitch deterioration stopped us getting automatic promotion under Yates for example.

To me it is quite apparent that if the groundshare provided the requisite income to make the pitch acceptable we would have done so and the fact that we couldn’t afford to do so suggests the groundshare rent couldn’t cover those additional costs or make up for declining attendances.
You have absolutely no clear evidence to back any of this up. You do not know how much money was coming into your club, including through the bar sales etc, or the costs of hosting us on match days, or how much money was spent on the pitch or needed to be, or how many people stopped watching solely because of the ground share.

As far as I am concerned Paul Baker saw a chance to cash in on the asset of having a stadium, and pulled some income from it. Whether anyone considers it was enough is a different matter, but I'd be pretty sure the profit was in the ten of thousands. Also, as a footballing man and decent human being he saw an opportunity to assist a club in need and get some good PR for your club at the same time.

I believe it made absolutely no difference to you on the pitch in the sense that at the time you were a club that wasn't going up anytime soon, if anything the cash helped you stave off relegation some years and come back up into the league on one occasion.

I wasn't registered at the time but read your posts, and still think that your 'campaign' against the ground share was more about you than what was right for your club. You are a man with unhealthy obsessive tendencies which consume you, be it this forum or masturbation, and with this particular crusade your occasional glimpses of reason and insight were lost in a panorama of vindictiveness. It is not an attractive personality trait and one you might care to address, before you reap the whirlwind.

And it will not be forgotten.
plymrob
"My ambition in life was always to be a philanthropist."

I'm going to have to give asl this one...
Robin
little mo wrote:Are these FFP rules worth the paper they are written on though. I have been reading Jon Parkins book "Feed the beast", and he said when he went to FGR they offered him more to drop into non-league than League One Chesterfield did, and on much smaller gates. So there is obviously a way round it, if you know how.

There are a lot of fudges to it essentially your wage bill must be 60% of revenue but you can give higher bonuses or give over the top revenue figures (like Man City do) to get around it.
leohoenig
The Premier League (and UEFA) rules are not the same as those for the EFL.
In fact, the EFL rules are (AFAIK) not the same in every division
Ben3
Shade wrote: Euromillions rich could probably get us to the Championship for a couple of seasons I guess.
Yes - if I just wasted it on players. I would t.

1 - I’d buy a swathe of Staverton airport and, with other developers, solve chelt, tewkes and gloster’s Joint Core Strategy disaster by building a new town there. (Kemble to become the playground for rich air enthusiasts).

2 - as part of this is build a 10,000 seater multi purpose stadium, 4G pitch, conference facilities in heart of the development, just off the A40

3 - I’d do it quick and offer GCFC to merge with ctfc

4 - I’d stay in our league by giving duff enough money to stay up for two years, then start moving forward

5 - we’d be sustainably in the championship by 2030

Just need to get the right numbers, don’t I? Any suggestions...?
ctfc-fan
Ben3 wrote:
Yes - if I just wasted it on players. I would t.

1 - I’d buy a swathe of Staverton airport and, with other developers, solve chelt, tewkes and gloster’s Joint Core Strategy disaster by building a new town there. (Kemble to become the playground for rich air enthusiasts).

2 - as part of this is build a 10,000 seater multi purpose stadium, 4G pitch, conference facilities in heart of the development, just off the A40

3 - I’d do it quick and offer GCFC to merge with ctfc

4 - I’d stay in our league by giving duff enough money to stay up for two years, then start moving forward

5 - we’d be sustainably in the championship by 2030

Just need to get the right numbers, don’t I? Any suggestions...?
Someone who doesn’t understand aviation and the benefits Staverton brings....
Ben3
Hahahahahaahahhagahahhahgahhaga

Yep, the obvious flaw in my plan was my lack of understanding of aviation. The rest merely a piece of cake

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

This site - if you presented it as a comedy people would say it was too far fetched
ctfc-fan
You say you’d build on Staverton to solve the housing crisis. Doing so would only make other things, such as transport infrastructure worse.

You state that Kemble should become the ‘rich mans’ playground. You don’t have to be rich to fly, anyone can enjoy a pleasure flight for not a huge sum. A microlight can be flown for as little as £60 per hour, that’s not expensive.

Also Staverton airport is one of, if not the number 1 general aviation airport in the country. This brings so much business to the area including many well known local business people basing their aircraft it of there.

Staverton is also used by the military for strategic training such as when the A400m is often seen using the ILS to practice approaches.

Staverton is also home to the training facility for air traffic control services. These staff can’t just start at a major airport such as Heathrow so need to hone their skills at smaller GA airfields. Do you ever fly on holiday? If so, chances are your ATC controller learnt their trade at Staverton. Where would they train in future or do you not want to fly again?
Ben3
Good points, I hadn’t thought through the full implications of my hugely-researched project

I’ll withdraw my planning application

Points 2-5 remain the same but now I intend to bulldoze Cleeve Hill and put a 100,000 amphitheatre in there

Simples
Robin
There's plenty of space to build near the race course and just south of Leckhampton, the town has been tied by greenbelt for years now.
Shade
Or they could just bulldoze and re-build all the empty properties and industrial/retails areas that aren't in use instead of building on flood plains, etc.
Robin
To be honest Shade I can't say I've ever noticed lots of empty properties around the town and it's felt to me that we are not growing on a par with other towns due to a lack of space so instead we've seen a lot of people moved from Cheltenham to Tewkesbury (especially poorer communities).