One to amuse the oldies

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... ntentcard9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I particularly enjoyed the bit about the old transistor radios.

I recall back in the 1970's a few supporters on the Whaddon Road terraces who always had a radio stuck to their ears for 90 minutes, shouting out the lastest scores from the big matches that day.
But I was always more amused by the long haired bloke wearing a scruffy denim jacket and jeans, cowboy boots, fag in mouth (you know typical 70's rock fan look) behind the goal who brought along his bigger radio too, but he was always listening to the Saturday Afternoon Rock Show with Alan Freeman on Radio 1.
So whilst Dave Lewis was scoring yet another hat-trick against Wellingborough or some other lowly opposition, something like Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin or Money by Pink Floyd could be heard bellowing across the Prestbury Road end !
It was all great fun back then.

And if we played away the first chance to find out the result was in the Monday night Echo, unless you went down to Boots Corner to get a Green 'Un on the Saturday night.
Those were the days, how little some people know what it was like back then .....
Red Duke
I remember going as a boy to Taylors Papershop in Hester's Way on a Saturday evening to get a Green 'Un. My Dad would give me a half-a-crown coin (2 Shillings and 6 pence or 12 and half pence in decimal money). You had to wait for it to arrive (normally about 6 pm). There was always a queue.

It would cost 3 pence and I could keep the change as my pocket money.
Si Robin
When did the Green 'Un become the Pink 'Un?

I remember reading that on a Sunday when travelling back to Churchdown from Whaddon having spent the weekend at my nans in the 90s.
Ben3
I’m not ‘an oldie’ but this did make me remember two things:

1, the year we went up from dr martins league, watching ceefax for results (I also remember England reducing South Africa to 2-4 or some such and ‘watching’ Devon Malcolm rip throuh them on ceefax!!)

2, we left a game in 80’s to go to bejam for our family shop. We left at 2-1 down and were astounded seeing the tv in the shop showing we’d won 3-2!
darreno
we left a game in 80’s to go to bejam for our family shop
Feck me, now you're talkin! You know bejam was bought by Iceland :o
joes dad
Remember going to the Railway Station in the 70/80's to meet the 6 o'clock train from Brum, to pick up the Sports Argus, sold by the guy from the Corner Shop in Bath Rd.
everyman
Fuller wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ ... ntentcard9

I particularly enjoyed the bit about the old transistor radios.

I recall back in the 1970's a few supporters on the Whaddon Road terraces who always had a radio stuck to their ears for 90 minutes, shouting out the lastest scores from the big matches that day.
But I was always more amused by the long haired bloke wearing a scruffy denim jacket and jeans, cowboy boots, fag in mouth (you know typical 70's rock fan look) behind the goal who brought along his bigger radio too, but he was always listening to the Saturday Afternoon Rock Show with Alan Freeman on Radio 1.
So whilst Dave Lewis was scoring yet another hat-trick against Wellingborough or some other lowly opposition, something like Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin or Money by Pink Floyd could be heard bellowing across the Prestbury Road end !
It was all great fun back then.

And if we played away the first chance to find out the result was in the Monday night Echo, unless you went down to Boots Corner to get a Green 'Un on the Saturday night.
Those were the days, how little some people know what it was like back then .....
He still goes and stands behind the goal listening to his smartphone and with a vape cigarette in his mouth.
Alf
Si Robin wrote:When did the Green 'Un become the Pink 'Un?

I remember reading that on a Sunday when travelling back to Churchdown from Whaddon having spent the weekend at my nans in the 90s.
Was the Pink Un the Glos. Citizen version of the Green Un?
Si Robin
I don't think so, I used to buy it from the old Stars newsagents on Priors Road.
Alf
Si Robin wrote:I don't think so, I used to buy it from the old Stars newsagents on Priors Road.
Probably Si. I’m not renown for my memory these days :lol: