Darren Way

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Still not sacked!

Here he is post match blaming the players. Poor Tom James being called out by Way like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/YTFC/status/ ... 4862806016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Unbelievably. How long is left on his contract now?
Si Robin
He signed a new one earlier this season. I want to say he has at least 2 years left.
kora
3 Year deal signed just before we beat them 4-1 at new year; their fans were not impressed.
Robin
Would like to see Yeovil go down to be honest, it's not a great away day and Macc will always struggle in this league.
Ralph
County and Yeovil to drop for me

Championship to Conference in 2 years
bigdavejambo
Ralph wrote:County and Yeovil to drop for me

ive said all along that County will escape and i still think they will. i think County and Macc are still to play each other too.
Nesty

who ?
Ralph
Nesty wrote:

who ?
"who" what exactly?
Nesty
"Championship to Conference in 2 years" - which team does this refer to ??
Ralph
Nesty wrote:"Championship to Conference in 2 years" - which team does this refer to ??
ok, looks like i made a mistake. Checked back through the tables of the last 3 seasons and i don't see Yeovil in the Championship. It was 2013/14 they were there. Couple of years out
Fuller
I think Yeovil did a remarkable job getting to the Championship. Was never gonna last long but gives a club like ours some hope, bit like Burton too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:I think Yeovil did a remarkable job getting to the Championship. Was never gonna last long but gives a club like ours some hope, bit like Burton too.
Interesting they did it using completely different models.

Yeovil did with no infrastructure off the pitch (still a non-league set-up) and just a host of loan players, punts (Paddy Madden for example) and journeymen/rejects who Johnson got to click. A bit like the recent Champions squad or Yates’s play-off final squad. My Yeovil mate still reckons that the team which got them up to the Championship was better than the one which played at that level just because the loans and short-term contracts they lost in the summer windo after going up were better than the next lot they got in.

Burton on the other hand were basically gifted a new stadium by Pirelli with a conference and events venue in the industrial centre of England between the M1 and M6 with much less congestion and easier access than central Birmingham or Derby etc. Years of good off the pitch revenue and infrastructure assets on a different level to ours meant they could slowly build a close-knit team and it is that which eventually got them up.

Unless we get a new main stand and off the pitch facilities or a new stadium completely the Burton approach is out of reach for us financially. And this forum has been very outspoken against the Yeovil window-to-window loans/punts/rejects model. The other way is bankrolling of course - but not desirable as we know what happens to the likes of Rushden, Notts County etc.
longmover
Sacked now
Robin
One last throw of the dice by the Somerset club, I hope they go down myself.
bigdavejambo
longmover wrote:Sacked now
that job has Martin Allen written all over it
Robin
Jerry Gill may fancy it but it's a big risk for any up and coming manager in my opinion. At least he will have a solid budget in the conference if they do go down.
paperboy
bigdavejambo wrote:
longmover wrote:Sacked now
that job has Martin Allen written all over it
He doesn't travel well outside the M25.

Could Gary Johnson be the first manager to job share? :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They have given it to the assistant I think.

Got to be Jerry Gill next season for me: although Bath and Yeovil could be in the same league of course so he may not want to move to what in my view is a more badly run and lower potential club in the same league. Moving from National southern feeder to League Two would be more appealing if the clubs stay where they are.
Artemis
You have no idea how comparitively well run or not Bath City and Yeovil Town are.

Besides, Yeovil will have a bloody great parachute payment next season (if they go down).