Official 2019 milk survey

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Whether on your cereal or in an ice cold glass on a summer lawn, which milk do you enjoy most:

Gold top/full cream
17%
Red top/semi-skimmed
83%
Blue top/skimmed
No votes
Unpasteurised
No votes
a2
No votes
Filtered
No votes
UHT
No votes
Jersey Cow
No votes
Goat
No votes
Non-dairy nut or plant based (e.g almond, cashew, coconut, oat, soya or hemp)
No votes

Total votes: 6
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is that time of year again, when lambs and calfs are suckling on nature’s nectar - milk from their mother’s teet - that we ourselves long for a crisp glass of green pasture infused milk to give us that calcium rich Spring glow as we absorb the sun’s rays. And the question on everyone’s lips - alongside the creamy moustache of deliciousness - is, what are the latest milk drinking trends and habits?

As sons and daughters of God’s own County where the Shire land and the animals which roam produces heavenly dairy delights - to the envy of the world - no one is better placed to ask about nutritious milk!
asl
RCS... Shandy... Never seen in the same place at the same time...

Edit: all becomes clear when I read the main forum...

WTF is "a2"

And semi-skimmed is green top at Tesco. Blue is full-cream. Red is that white, watery stuff. So your poll makes no sense.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:RCS... Shandy... Never seen in the same place at the same time...

WTF is "a2"

And semi-skimmed is green top at Tesco. Blue is full-cream. Red is that white, watery stuff. So your poll makes no sense.
The colours relate to the olden days/traditional milk delivery. I am aware modern supermarket stuff is different colours - I just wanted to be inclusive to multiple generations hence giving both options. The inaccuracy is actually missing out Silver Top, which is what my gran got.

a2 is a different enzyme. Modern dairy cows have been modified over the years to produce milk with a3 which is easier to produce, store and sell at volume but is more difficult for those with lactose intolerance. a2 is more ‘natural’ - like back when cows were cows. It is more rare because there are very few cows who can produce it anymore.

For the record, we get our milk delivered three times a week. Glass bottles, red top/semi skimmed, from Lanchester Dairy. No plastic waste and supports farmers without the conglomerates and supermarkets taking their exploitative wedge.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 26 Mar 2019, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.
Shade
Like with most foodstuffs out there, it's not the healthiest but you can't beat a bit of full fat.

I bloody love evaporated milk as well, but I try to keep that to putting on pudding only....although i have been known in my wilder years to chug down 3/4 of a left over tin.
asl
My brother once looked after a Jersey cow for a week that lactated pure whipping cream. Fantastic on dessert - but you wouldn't want it in your tea or on your cornflakes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:My brother once looked after a Jersey cow for a week that lactated pure whipping cream. Fantastic on dessert - but you wouldn't want it in your tea or on your cornflakes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Get a couple at Wimbledon and charge Chinese tourists £100 a squirt directly on to a small tub of strawberries. Easy money.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I had some Dales Dairies semi on my cereal this morning - small bottle we bought back from North Yorks from our weekend stay down there as we ended up with a pint we didn’t use. Nice flavour - would recommend.
Malabus
asl wrote:RCS... Shandy... Never seen in the same place at the same time...

WTF is "a2"

Gold top is full fat....just saying.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A very interesting read on China’s sky rocketing demand for milk.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-for-milk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SHANDY VOR
I didn't want to respond to this thread until I had given meself a bit of proper thinking time.

The nicest milk I've tasted doesn't appear on the options, and was only available during two years of the 2000s, after Mrs S had given birth to our children. An added bonus was that I was the Milk Organiser at work so with a bit of 'blending' we managed to supplement our income those years, and yes I did declare it for tax purposes.