The squad - To keep or not to keep?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

East End Robin
The squad – to keep or not?
The end of the season is nigh and we only need a point now to guarantee mathematical safety. This is my opinion on who we should offer new deals to etc. Keen to hear what other people think.

KEEP
Flinders – reliable shot stopper had another solid season
Boyle – solid performances, our longest serving player on his way to becoming a club legend
Tozer – been excellent since our formation changed, glad he has another year on his contract
Broom – has shown how brilliant he can be at times. Definitely an asset. Question marks over whether he will want to stay, however
Hussey – been a key player for us since recovering from injury
Dawson – never gives up
Varney – signed a deserved new deal recently
Atangana – excellent before his injury, adds the grit to the midfield three which we need
Barnett – Strong physical presence, constant nuisance for defenders and gives the option of route one football if we need it
Lloyd – remains one of the most exciting talents to come through our youth team since Duff himself! Hope he gets a chance in the last few games of the season
Long – ravaged by injury, deserves a chance next year to show us what he can do
Addai – seemed to struggle initially then was frozen out, but did he grab his chance again when he got it! Unlucky with his injury, excited to see more from him next season I hope.

JURY’S OUT
Thomas – has at times been brilliant (e.g. yesterday) and is a reliable penalty taker. However I don’t think he’s starting XI material, especially if we want to move up the table. Wouldn’t mind him coming off the bench IF he’s on low-ish wages, and he is on a two-year deal so could be hard to shaft
Clements – been excellent in part, if inconsistent. Probably overall the better player compared to Thomas, but obviously Thomas is on a longer deal, and I’d be reluctant to keep both. Feel like a really creative midfielder is something we could do with in the summer – is Clements this or not?
Bower – not seen enough of him this season to make a fair judgement, still a youngster with potential. Is he good enough to make it at this level? Hope Duff makes the right call.
Lovett – see Bower.
Duku – Barnet seemed to like him. Seemed to struggle to fully adjust to the step up, but he’s scoring in the conference and it could be worth giving him another shot next year.
Smith – Another youngster who’s doing alright at a lower level. Is he going to be good enough for this level? I really don’t have a clue. Has another year on his deal, so could just be worth letting it run out as I doubt he’s expensive.

LEAVE
Mullins – looked good early on in the season, but has struggled with injury and he hasn’t been in a matchday squad in a very long time. We seem to have managed without him. Probably on a large wage, so would free up some cash if he moved on. Experienced head, should find a taker I would hope.
Bingham – honestly I thought he struggled yesterday. Has pace, didn’t seem to have the non-stop running of Waters and Varney however. In his defence, he hasn’t had much of a chance in the first team. Will need to take it in the last few games if he wants a new deal. But with Waters, Lloyd and Addai strong possibilities to be playing similar roles next season, he may not be needed
Forster – hasn’t been awful, but was the weak link in our defence before he lost his place. Will want to be starting and I don’t think he’s good enough to do that here.
McAlinden – possibly our most baffling signing. Struggled at the start of the year and hasn’t been seen since. On a two year deal, and might be difficult to shaft. But hopefully he’ll want first team football and will recognise that it’s not going to be at WR.
Debayo – Not sure if he can succeed at this level. However, he’s still young and has another year on his deal, so the argument could be made to let him see if he can develop while his contract still runs. But I’m not buying that argument.

LOANS
Tillson – looked decent, but really just cover for Atangana. Exeter fans clearly don’t rate him, he should leave and look for football elsewhere, but that probably won’t be WR
Waters – wants to come back, is out of contract, has been quality, never gives up. It’s a no brainer to offer him a deal.
Raglan – out of favour at Oxford, has been good for us. Out of contract (I think), wouldn’t mind if we made a move for him
Maddox – Sellars MKII (or Deering MKIII) obviously has talent but hasn’t produced much in terms of goals or assists. Done a job, but we won’t need him back.
Pring – cover. Done okay. Don’t need him back though.
Johnsons Red Army
"Not another squad thread" :lol:
Ben3
Boooooommmmm!!!!!! Another squad thread :lol: :lol: 8-)
Robin
I'm expecting most of those who are out of contract to be given new offers it's whether they sign them - in the case of Broom I expect him to turn it down. Dawson may be another who turns down a deal. I feel Clements, Forster and Barnett to be most at risk of not being offered a new deal. For these three it comes down to can we find better.

Of those under contract Debayo, Smith, Long, Mullins, McAlinden, Duku could all move on. I do feel Mullins and Long could be assets though but likely to be on high wages.

Almost certain I would say that we try to sign Raglan and Waters permanently. I would expect both to happen unless Northampton want too large a fee. Pring/Maddox/Tilson not done enough to warrant a return.
MSB
Could be complete bull, but little whispers on the terrace that Flinders wants to move back up north.
No source at all from me, just something I've overheard.

I hope not as he's been excellent for us from day one.
Robin
I've also heard that whisper but no idea how true it is - certainly not heard if from sources I trust. I would certainly like to keep Flinders and hope he shows some loyalty given he effectively rescued him from the scrap heap when he'd just been released by a non-league side.
horlickfanclub
Waters is NOT out of contact at Northampton.
Fuller
One thing for sure is that there will be lots of twists and turns with players coming, staying or leaving by early August (or late August even.)

And I have complete trust in Mike Duff to do the right thing.
Si Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Waters is NOT out of contact at Northampton.
He's also NOT in favour there. It's fair to assume that they would rather have him off the wage bill, so I see no reason he can't be snapped up on a free.
Shade
I don't know if anyone is going to be THAT keen on Broom this summer either, to be honest. He's hardly set the league alight in the second half of this season and was pretty poor in the first half on Saturday. He picked up after the break, though I was still glad to see Long come on and make his first League appearance at WR. We're not far from Broom's family home, either (assuming they're still Newport-way).
horlickfanclub
Si Robin. Billy Waters is in DIV 1 wages so maybe Cobblers would want rid but whether we could afford him is another thing. I suspect they have not played him to avoid paying us more add ons. I don't think Mr Duff will let us get caught out this summer late we were last year.
Robin
Shade wrote:I don't know if anyone is going to be THAT keen on Broom this summer either, to be honest. He's hardly set the league alight in the second half of this season and was pretty poor in the first half on Saturday. He picked up after the break, though I was still glad to see Long come on and make his first League appearance at WR. We're not far from Broom's family home, either (assuming they're still Newport-way).
The cynic in me would speculate that he's already signed for Burton which he's able to do in the last six months of his contract. Winchester did the same with FGR.
Cheltenhamshire10
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:I don't know if anyone is going to be THAT keen on Broom this summer either, to be honest. He's hardly set the league alight in the second half of this season and was pretty poor in the first half on Saturday. He picked up after the break, though I was still glad to see Long come on and make his first League appearance at WR. We're not far from Broom's family home, either (assuming they're still Newport-way).
The cynic in me would speculate that he's already signed for Burton which he's able to do in the last six months of his contract. Winchester did the same with FGR.
He's under 24 so at least we'd get a small fee for him?
Robin
Yes that's true doubt it will be much but may cover the Waters fee.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:
Not quite true Robin, hence why we were still offering contracts to CW right up until the end.

English clubs can approach players at other English clubs 30 days/one month before the end of their contract
horlickfanclub
Robin is still convinced we would pay a fee for Billy. Why and how ?
Shade
kiaora84 wrote:
Robin wrote:
Not quite true Robin, hence why we were still offering contracts to CW right up until the end.

English clubs can approach players at other English clubs 30 days/one month before the end of their contract
Correct, only foreign teams can approach 6 months before the end of a contract, hence Ramsay signing for Juve.
Robin
Winchester was talking with Forest Green well before that it was an open secret and he was even telling people months before signing.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Winchester was talking with Forest Green well before that it was an open secret and he was even telling people months before signing.
Who did he tell?
kiaora84
Robin wrote:Winchester was talking with Forest Green well before that it was an open secret and he was even telling people months before signing.
I have absolutely no doubt he was sounded out via his agent and his agent made it common knowledge. He wouldn’t be a very good one if he didn’t. But no ‘pre-contract’ was signed
Robin
Yes, could well be something in between where a deal was agreed verbally because I have it on good authority a large signing on fee was agreed back in Feb/March, well before it become official.