What do we think this is?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RubyRedRobin
Well, the club posted this on twitter recently, and I for one have no idea. Could we be getting a new kit manufacturer? If that is the case I might go out on a limb here and say are we doing anything with Superdry? The slogan would make sense!

https://twitter.com/ctfcofficial/status ... 22498?s=21
Shade
Made in Cheltenham does imply the new away kit might be made locally. Only two ways to find out - ask someone at the club who can't keep secrets or wait until Thursday!
It would be interesting if SuperDry, amidst their philosophy changes and troubles with Mr Dunkerton, are branching into football kits and maybe using us as a test/advertisement to the rest of the world.

It'll probably turn out to be a tedious link regarding season tickets.
Ralph
Shade wrote:Made in Cheltenham does imply the new away kit might be made locally. Only two ways to find out - ask someone at the club who can't keep secrets or wait until Thursday!
It would be interesting if SuperDry, amidst their philosophy changes and troubles with Mr Dunkerton, are branching into football kits and maybe using us as a test/advertisement to the rest of the world.

It's "made of Cheltenham" :P
Shade
Ah, doesn't change much.
RubyRedRobin
Shade wrote:Made in Cheltenham does imply the new away kit might be made locally. Only two ways to find out - ask someone at the club who can't keep secrets or wait until Thursday!

I pray to god it isn’t season tickets, you don’t need an a high profile announcement for that
MSB
I too have a sneaky suspicion it's new kit manufacturers and the Made of Cheltenham tag hints at superdry. I had read somewhere on another clubs forum that superdry had made noises about getting into kit production and joining up with us would make complete sense.

Also we have an away kit at the end of its two year cycle and a home kit that is special edition 20 year anniversary. Kind of all adds up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Might be part of Superdry’s new strategy now that Julian Dunkerton has secured his place back on the Board a few weeks ago and got support from shareholders for his turnaround plan.

Superdry have had a few profit warnings and have been at risk during the last year after Dunkerton resigned from the board so they need to do something. Given the number of people I see wearing Superdry ath-leisure and gym kit in Newcastle and other cities it looks like this is the new growth area for the business so football kits would fit in with that.

It should make the news as well, as the whole saga of Dunkerton stepping down, his outspoken criticism of the Board, and his bid to get back on bye Board has been a running story in the business pages. Be nice if we are the only team initially so the media reports bring us profile.

Dowdeswell Estates still sponsoring Gloucester City of course. I wonder if we will get their cider in the club bar as part of the kit deal. Or season ticket vouchers for the Lucky Onion.
ctfc-fan
There is a link for Superdry to Gloucester City as Rod Jenner is a director at GC FC and is also director at Dowdeswell Estates, along with JD. would they be doing something with both clubs, doubt it myself...
Shade
There's a link to Cheltenham as well - it's the town SuperDry was founded in! We're a football league club so more exposure than Gloucester City. You don't find adidas or Nike only working with clubs they have a link to! I'm sure shirt sales would rise considerably if they were to make our kit, assuming it wouldn't be c!#p.

However, I do doubt that this is what the announcement will be about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:There is a link for Superdry to Gloucester City as Rod Jenner is a director at GC FC and is also director at Dowdeswell Estates, along with JD. would they be doing something with both clubs, doubt it myself...
Rod no longer a Director at GCFC, I believe.
Lord Elpuz
I would be surprised if the connection is Superdry. They’ve been issuing profit warnings since at least last Autumn. No disrespect intended anywhere but I cannot see how a unison with CTFC would help revive the brand.
London Exile
Season Tickets my guess.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:I would be surprised if the connection is Superdry. They’ve been issuing profit warnings since at least last Autumn. No disrespect intended anywhere but I cannot see how a unison with CTFC would help revive the brand.
Dunkerton is back on her board and the major shareholding group today said they will support his turnaround plans. Those plans include diversifying the range and increasing margins.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Dunkerton is back on her board and the major shareholding group today said they will support his turnaround plans. Those plans include diversifying the range and increasing margins.
It would be a really nice local touch, but we only have a solid fan base of around 2500, and not all of them buy replica shirts, sports tops, and other Club attire. I just wonder whether there is enough profit in those figures to catch the eye of a former leading clothing brand? I have always liked the high quality of Superdry clothing, but it’s what the young people wear that makes or breaks a brand, and whether it’s “cool” to be seen in a particular brand. The current batch of 17-24 year olds don’t currently associate with it. There’s a lot of reinventing to be done, but I’m not sure a League 2 Football Club is the partnership that this age group of young people will jump at. Very happy to be proven wrong of course.
asl
Dunkerton has previously been quite vociferous in stating that he has no interest in football. I might be wrong, but I *believe* PB approached him when Superdry were first fashionable and he wasn't even slightly interested.

I'd be extremely surprised if the announcement has anything whatsoever to do with Superdry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
It would be a really nice local touch, but we only have a solid fan base of around 2500, and not all of them buy replica shirts, sports tops, and other Club attire. I just wonder whether there is enough profit in those figures to catch the eye of a former leading clothing brand? I have always liked the high quality of Superdry clothing, but it’s what the young people wear that makes or breaks a brand, and whether it’s “cool” to be seen in a particular brand. The current batch of 17-24 year olds don’t currently associate with it. There’s a lot of reinventing to be done, but I’m not sure a League 2 Football Club is the partnership that this age group of young people will jump at. Very happy to be proven wrong of course.
I would imagine if they do get involved it would be the first of many more valuable kit deals with clubs who sell volume. Like you say, a single L2 side is a pointless endeavour.
Ben3
It’s good marketing as people are talking about it

I reckon a new contract for Duff or Lloyd
Ihearye
Lord Elpuz wrote:I would be surprised if the connection is Superdry. They’ve been issuing profit warnings since at least last Autumn. No disrespect intended anywhere but I cannot see how a unison with CTFC would help revive the brand.

When you and your friend hold approx 50% of the shares, it is not the greatest boardroom coup ever. I believe that around 75% of the other share holders voted against them.

It is widely thought that when Mr Dunkerton sold his shares, the Superdry share price was artificially high and that the profits warning was merely a market realignment. Not too many high street retailers would be concerned at just a yearly 12%!

Not at all sure it would be a good fit. Am still waiting to see what he does with the former George Hotel. Or how long that blight of a billboard is allowed to stay on the A40 at his latest enterprise.
Ralph
I have to be honest and say that I think this may be an incredibly non-exciting reveal on the 18th. I don't believe its Superdry at all. They have never shown interest in us as far as I can remember.
Shade
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Dunkerton didn't want to diversify at all, and was calling for the board to go back to the company's origins just weeks ago. If he's changed his tune in that short amount of time, then who knows.

There are arguments for and against it being a kit deal with Superdry. If they're looking to get into football kits, then we would be a good place for them to start and show off what they can do, an advertisement to bigger clubs.
Robin
Ben3 wrote:It’s good marketing as people are talking about it

I highly doubt it's a new contract for Lloyd, at least in isolation. He has another year left on his contract and is still a fringe player.
Artemis
It'll be season tickets and a new contract for Duff.
Fuller
"Made in Cheltenham" means the season tickets were made at the printers in Cheltenham ... or maybe not.
Ihearye
Fuller wrote:"Made in Cheltenham" means the season tickets were made at the printers in Cheltenham ... or maybe not.
If only it said 'Made in Cheltenham' , that might fit
Fuller
Ihearye wrote:
Fuller wrote:"Made in Cheltenham" means the season tickets were made at the printers in Cheltenham ... or maybe not.
If only it said 'Made in Cheltenham' , that might fit
Ah yes, I understand.

Or perhaps the new kit 'might fit.'

Or maybe not ?
Artemis
Could be the food outlets will start stocking the Pittville Waters?
Fuller
Artemis wrote:Could be the food outlets will start stocking the Pittville Waters?
Or the re-signing of Billy Waters ?
everyman
Robin wrote:
Ben3 wrote:It’s good marketing as people are talking about it

I highly doubt it's a new contract for Lloyd, at least in isolation. He has another year left on his contract and is still a fringe player.
I would expect Lloyd to get an improved contract soon,with the interest being shown in him by bigger clubs.
Shade
I'd be surprised if it's anything to do with contracts or signings. Why would they announce that they're going to reveal that on a specific date? It would be a bit strange.
Ben3
Sign Lloyd up for five years. ££££££££££££
bigdavejambo
anybody know what time this 'announcement' is?
asl
9am, according to the image just posted on Facebook.

The cynic in me tells me not to get excited.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The announcement will be: “look out for news early next week”
Ralph
asl wrote:
The cynic in me tells me not to get excited.
Yep. That is my thought. Going to be a big letdown
Andy
Probably the end of season dinner made of locally sourced produce. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk