Andy Wilcox interview

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Looking ahead to the new season: http://bit.ly/AndyWilcoxYearTwo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kiaora84
Interesting to read the chairman’s relationship with Deon Burton.

Could well see someone like Cheltenham born Jamie Soule coming our way on loan...
plymrob
Stadium...? Let's please call it a ground.
What's up with people?
Robin
West Brom youth set-up isn't the best sadly but I do expect a loanee or two from Burnley given the obvious connections.
horlickfanclub
Barcelona might disagree with that Robin.
Si Robin
My cousin's boy has played alongside the lad Barca has just signed - he is sick apparently (I take that to mean extremely good :lol: )
kiaora84
Robin wrote:West Brom youth set-up isn't the best sadly but I do expect a loanee or two from Burnley given the obvious connections.

:lol: ok Robin

We will ignore the likes of Kerman Roofe, Tyler Roberts, Isaiah Brown, Rakeem Harper, Jonathan Leko, Kyle Edwards, Yan Dhanda, Noah Smerdon the young that has just signed for Barca and Jamie Soule Who was recently linked to Dortmund
Robin
How many of those players progressed into WBA first team? Most are discarded before they get there. I would argue Wolves and Villa have the best local youth systems.
Pie
Robin wrote:How many of those players progressed into WBA first team? Most are discarded before they get there. I would argue Wolves and Villa have the best local youth systems.
How many youth team players haven't made the grade in our first team and gone on to play at higher levels?
kiaora84
Pie wrote:
Robin wrote:How many of those players progressed into WBA first team? Most are discarded before they get there. I would argue Wolves and Villa have the best local youth systems.
How many youth team players haven't made the grade in our first team and gone on to play at higher levels?
Roofe and Roberts are first team players at Leeds. Brown was sold to Chelsea and has been on loan playing Premiership/Championship football. Harper, Leko and Edwards are all getting regular 1st team action at WBA, with Soule making the match day squad or travelling with the 1st team. Dhanda was picked up by Liverpool before moving onto Swansea where he made at least 5 first team appearances. Leaving the lad who has just joined Barcelona.

It’s irrelevant weather they are good enough for the WBA 1st team anyway, it’s about if they are good enough for us. All of the names above, bar the last two, would walk into our strongest 11 quite comfortably. That’s all we should be concerned with.
Pie
kiaora84 wrote:
Pie wrote:
Roofe and Roberts are first team players at Leeds. Brown was sold to Chelsea and has been on loan playing Premiership/Championship football. Harper, Leko and Edwards are all getting regular 1st team action at WBA, with Soule making the match day squad or travelling with the 1st team. Dhanda was picked up by Liverpool before moving onto Swansea where he made at least 5 first team appearances. Leaving the lad who has just joined Barcelona.

It’s irrelevant weather they are good enough for the WBA 1st team anyway, it’s about if they are good enough for us. All of the names above, bar the last two, would walk into our strongest 11 quite comfortably. That’s all we should be concerned with.
Pretty much my point.
In the past we have told the likes of Matt Smith, Sam Foley, and Marley Watkins that they aren't good enough for our team - and I think any of them would walk into our team right now.

On the other hand we have told players like Joe Hanks, Zack Kotwica, Michael Wylde, and Kyle Haynes (who went on to become League Two Apprentice of the Year in 2009/10) that they have a great future in the game, and as of yet - they're still playing divisions below (Wylde actually retired in 2014).

Not all teams get it right with their youth prospects.
But we will happily take some on loan, the likes of Pack, Garbutt, and McCann all worked out well for us in the past.
Robin
Pie wrote:
Marley Watkins, Matt Smith, Mike Duff the only ones I can think of that went on to better things having come through our youth system. Perhaps you could argue also Andy Williams and Shane Duff who played in the third tier. The reality is very few lower league clubs academies succeed in either selling players regularly or seeing players come through.
horlickfanclub
Add to that Luke Thomas,Cameron Pring, Duffus brothers, Jamie Edge ( until crocked) Sam Foley......
Ihearye
duffus Brothers ???? dont think we will be getting any unexpected windfalls from their sell ons!
art vandalay
Jamie Edge may have gone to a bigger club but I would argue that he didn't go on to better things as he quickly settled in non-League football.
Robin
Luke THomas is certainly one yes. Duffus brothers and Jamie Edge not as they didn't make it.
horlickfanclub
My point is that our youth system produced players that attracted interest from Premier League teams with the fees keeping the club afloat. What happened with their careers after is not relevant to your original post.
Horteng
AW does seem to love to have a dig at the old regime given the opportunity
Ihearye
I read it as in relation to the situation he inherited. Which I don't believe anyone could defend? Looking back, too much misplaced loyalty and people seeming to get distracted
paperboy
Horteng wrote:AW does seem to love to have a dig at the old regime given the opportunity
Yes,I thought the same.
Is there a video of the interview anywhere?