Free agents

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

GL Rob
Any players from this list you would realistically like to see at Cheltenham next season? http://bit.ly/FreeAgentsList2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
West Ham are releasing Andy Carroll, I understand. He could do Tyrone's job.

Oh...'realistically'.......
theidlerich
....he'd only manage a game or two all season....too injury prone! :) Besides the night-life in Cheltenham wouldn't be up to his expectations.....
.no....tell his agent to look elsewhere....;)
Nesty
Stephen Ward (left back/ left winger) aged 33 released by Burnley
Robin
Mark Cullen or Max Clayton from Blackpool may be worth a look. Stuart Beavon from Coventry but maybe a bit past it now. Jon Obika from Oxford another worth a look. Paris Cowan-Hall from Wycombe also but a bit similar to Addei/Lloyd in stature.

Looking down the tree Tavon Campbell or Rueben Reid from FGR or Wes Thomas back from Grimsby maybe. Sam Foley and Billy Waters from Northampton.

Overall that list looks bleak and I don't see too many central midfield standout names that are realistic.
Robin
Mark Cullen or Max Clayton from Blackpool may be worth a look. Stuart Beavon from Coventry but maybe a bit past it now. Jon Obika from Oxford another worth a look. Paris Cowan-Hall from Wycombe also but a bit similar to Addei/Lloyd in stature.

Looking down the tree Tavon Campbell or Rueben Reid from FGR or Wes Thomas back from Grimsby maybe. Sam Foley and Billy Waters from Northampton.

Overall that list looks bleak and I don't see too many central midfield standout names that are realistic.
Alf
Beckham looked useful last Saturday but we’d need someone to get on the end of the crosses.
everyman
GL Rob wrote:Any players from this list you would realistically like to see at Cheltenham next season? http://bit.ly/FreeAgentsList2019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Local lad ? Elliott Frear would be useful,out of contract 31/05/2019.
Chris FGR
Robin wrote:Mark Cullen or Max Clayton from Blackpool may be worth a look. Stuart Beavon from Coventry but maybe a bit past it now. Jon Obika from Oxford another worth a look. Paris Cowan-Hall from Wycombe also but a bit similar to Addei/Lloyd in stature.

Both Reuben and Tav would be worth a punt for you I would say. Reid well proven at this level, just need to keep him fit and motivated. Tav very unlucky to get released, was really starting to hit form until Doidge came back, got a lot of potential.
Pie
Jamie Devitt leaving Carlisle.
22 years old, 12 goals last season, and 22 in 130 appearances.

I'd certainly be looking to make him an offer, although apparently Hearts and Hibs are interested in him.
Pie
Yann Songo’o moving on from Plymouth.
Would be one hell of a signing for us, by would imagine he will have offers from League 1 Clubs
Blakey 9
i see oxford have released jon obika. he looked decent to me when we played them a couple years ago in the league cup.

he's only 28 tall , strong , agile. , he would be a good signing if we could get him.

not sure he will want to move down a league though.
Pie
Sam Foley in talks with Stevenage.
Robin
Sam Foley would be an upgrade on any of our existing midfielders, I'm genuinely suprised we've not gone for him. That said I wonder if our permanent target is a midfield enforcer (which Foley isn't) and we then add a loanee to do the box to box leg work.
Pie
Robin wrote:Sam Foley would be an upgrade on any of our existing midfielders, I'm genuinely suprised we've not gone for him. That said I wonder if our permanent target is a midfield enforcer (which Foley isn't) and we then add a loanee to do the box to box leg work.
Foley may not be seen as an enforcer, he can operate across the midfield, and has good passing, dribbling and ball control skills, he also has that Gerrard-style vision to ping a pass across, or up field. Decent work rate, just not a lot of pace.
Robin
At the moment our midfield is shockingly unprepared for the new season I feel. We need at least two or three players signed on over the next few weeks.
Pie
Foley has rubbished links to Stevenage.
Robin
If you look at our existing midfield of Clements/Thomas/Smith then Foley would walk into our team so I hope we give him a serious look.
horlickfanclub
Smith has gone.
Pie
horlickfanclub wrote:Smith has gone.
Has he? Haven't seen anything confirmed YET
Robin
He's likely to leave but give we play 5-3-2 and only have three central midfielders I'd like to believe he will be kept until we get a couple in.
Pie
Songo'o signs a 1 year deal with Scunthorpe.
Robin
So we are targetting one permanent and two loanees according to Jon Palmer. Hopefully the permanent is a first choice central midfielder either box to box or someone who can get there foot on the ball and dictate play. Can anyone identify any remaining free transfers who fit that profile? There can't be too many left at this point so it's likely a small pool.
Pie
Midfielder

Tom Adeyemi - Free agent after leaving Ipswich.
Doug Loft - Free agent after leaving Shrewsbury.
James Dunne - Free agent after leaving Swindon (certainly a box to box midfielder)
Sam Foley - Free agent after leaving Northampton.
Robin
I may be wrong but I thought Loft was more a defensive midfielder but looking at that list Sam Foley must be on our radar given he's local to the area and very likely within our budget unlike Adeyemi who I'd imagine will get a league one club.
Pie
Robin wrote:I may be wrong but I thought Loft was more a defensive midfielder but looking at that list Sam Foley must be on our radar given he's local to the area and very likely within our budget unlike Adeyemi who I'd imagine will get a league one club.
I would agree with Adeyemi being a L1 target - I believe Rotherham and Bolton are interested in him.
As far as I'm aware, Sam isn't on the radar, which is a shame.

I would imagine the likes of Wrexham (location, he lives up near Crewe), and probably Yeovil will be sniffing around him (was loved by the fans in his previous spell there), but obviously he would rather stay in the Football League.
Hopefully he will find a club.