Salisbury & penalties

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

eeneff
Just watched the EFL highlights show.

Penalty awarded by G Salisbury for Crawley. I won’t use the word ‘consistency’, as you just can’t have that and ‘Salisbury’ in the same sentence!
Nesty
Crawley are fashionable and not on the FA's hit list
paperboy
eeneff wrote:Just watched the EFL highlights show.

Penalty awarded by G Salisbury for Crawley. I won’t use the word ‘consistency’, as you just can’t have that and ‘Salisbury’ in the same sentence!
..bit of a shocker seeing he was so near- they must be related.
Robin
Not sure I'd ever describe Crawley as fashionable, they are perennial relegation favorites and long gone are the days when they were bankrolled by foreign investors. I did see that awful ref game them a much softer penalty than the one he booked Varney for last week but my first thought was more how has he been allowed to ref another game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Not sure I'd ever describe Crawley as fashionable, they are perennial relegation favorites and long gone are the days when they were bankrolled by foreign investors. I did see that awful ref game them a much softer penalty than the one he booked Varney for last week but my first thought was more how has he been allowed to ref another game.
Bank rolled promotions through non-league to L1. The likes of Kewell as manager. May not be fashionable to fans but to the media and authorities they are, like Fleetwood, Salford etc.

As for the ref, he delivered the orders and instructions given to him against us so of course he would be allowed to ref again.
longmover
Crawley are massive media darlings
Robin
I agree they were a decade or so ago just don't see it anymore. Rare for them to get coverage and only hear them talked about as perennial relegation fodder.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I agree they were a decade or so ago just don't see it anymore. Rare for them to get coverage and only hear them talked about as perennial relegation fodder.
You obviously didn’t watch the Quest highlights this week. “Something really exciting looks like it is starting at Crawley” after the studio discussed their win.
longmover
After two games :lol: :lol:
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Not sure I'd ever describe Crawley as fashionable, they are perennial relegation favorites and long gone are the days when they were bankrolled by foreign investors. I did see that awful ref game them a much softer penalty than the one he booked Varney for last week but my first thought was more how has he been allowed to ref another game.
It was a different ref - Michael Salisbury refereed our game, Graham Salisbury refereed Crawley's.
Red Duke
Michael Salisbury refereed the Oxford v Peterborough game and issued 5 yellow cards.
Alf
Si Robin wrote:
It was a different ref - Michael Salisbury refereed our game, Graham Salisbury refereed Crawley's.
Someone told him to change his name to protect himself. Trouble is they didn’t specify which one.
I notice Salford are being televised again on Tuesday.
longmover
followed by another class of '92 program
Shade
Salford v Leeds. I bet Sky creamed themselves as that one "miraculously" came out of the hat.
longmover
All those 'pre planned' comments about historic Utd v Leeds matches can be shoe-horned in at every available moment

Thing is they're not even remotely sly about the quite obvious fixture fixing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:All those 'pre planned' comments about historic Utd v Leeds matches can be shoe-horned in at every available moment

Thing is they're not even remotely sly about the quite obvious fixture fixing
The saddest thing is there will be millions of gormless thickos around the country who don’t know it is a fix and are amazed and excited that the fixture came out the hat.
leohoenig
Graham Salisbury is our ref tonight!
SHANDY VOR
I have been called gormless a few times but never a thicko. I have a brain the size of a beach ball, and balls the size of a brain. Still, I really cannot buy into your conspiracy theory, you sound like every other disappointed but entitled fan up and down this country we call England. It's jealous and unrealistic, in either order.

Ref's don't hate Cheltenham - they are completely ambivalent about you.
longmover
its not the refs its the FA
SHANDY VOR
But I can't see why. You've never been in dispute with them so what they could hold against you?
longmover
Lets just agree to disagree.
Ben3
SHANDY VOR wrote:I have been called gormless a few times but never a thicko. I have a brain the size of a beach ball, and balls the size of a brain. Still, I really cannot buy into your conspiracy theory, you sound like every other disappointed but entitled fan up and down this :?: country we call England. It's jealous and unrealistic, in either order.

Haha don’t be daft! If we don’t win it’s the stone masons conspiring with mafia and the fa to go against us!!! :lol:

You must notice some people just constantly post the same thing (the reason this site is dying). It’s like a religion to them, they repeat it daily to make it seem true to themselves whilst they detach themselves from reality

Yates out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :?:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:But I can't see why. You've never been in dispute with them so what they could hold against you?
Money and fashion. FA want clubs with bigger fan bases in the League and want teams which people have heard of. Sky or BT don’t want to be showing games like CTFC vs Morecambe, so the more games there are like that the less Sky or BT will be prepared to pay for the rights and the less money in the FA/EFL pockets.

If Notts County come back up the EFL will be loving it and hoping they get to the EFL Trophy final to sell 30,000 tickets and that we don’t.

Football League football is a branding and entertainment business at the end of the day and the authorities want teams who maximise brand appeal and commercial revenue to be in the Football League. I am sure this is why there is no FFP in the National League because it means ‘romantic’ stories like Fleetwood and Salford rising up to the Football League can happen, which is good for the National League, EFL and FA because those teams make the national consciousness and thus accrue more Sky and BT money.

If it wasn’t for FFP then it would just be an endless yo-yo of EFL going down and coming straight back up, and neither the NL or EFL want to have the likes of Cheltenham or Barnet yo-yoing as it is not a good narrative to market to TV audiences.
SHANDY VOR
Make yourself saleable then by winning games and climbing up the leagues. The story of the sleepy spa town taking on the football powerhouses. Dave v Goliath.

The bottom reaches of the league are not an attractive place in TV land unless you are fighting the trap door.

Be careful what you wish for.
Ihearye
SHANDY VOR wrote:I have been called gormless a few times but never a thicko. I have a brain the size of a beach ball, and balls the size of a brain. Still, I really cannot buy into your conspiracy theory, you sound like every other disappointed but entitled fan up and down this country we call England. It's jealous and unrealistic, in either order.

Yep, it just highlights the standard of refs we have at this level. I have sat in the CF and seen them give throw in, free kicks to Cheltenham, that were never ours. I can appreciate why TV likes to showcase 'the dream'. God knows they would need to have something to sell to make folk want to tune in to watch the 'whatisitthisyear' cup! How many times have we seen managers losing at WR come on and complain about the ref, saying he cost them the game, pretty frequent
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Make yourself saleable then by winning games and climbing up the leagues. The story of the sleepy spa town taking on the football powerhouses. Dave v Goliath.

The bottom reaches of the league are not an attractive place in TV land unless you are fighting the trap door.

Be careful what you wish for.
With Duff in charge we have a better chance as he is more of a “name”. However as a club and fanbase who are resolutely against financial doping (or its aftermath as seen in Bury) it will be mighty effort by Duffo to climb up the leagues.

Another Gloucestershire derby would help if you boys can get up to the EFL!
SHANDY VOR
Don't be silly.

I firstly associate the name Duff with beer, secondly having the meaning of failure, thirdly it rhymes with guff, fourthly how a deaf Scot would describe himself.

And fifthly the manager of your team.

Not quite enough to get Gabby Logan down.
Ihearye
SHANDY VOR wrote:Don't be silly.

I firstly associate the name Duff with beer, secondly having the meaning of failure, thirdly it rhymes with guff, fourthly how a deaf Scot would describe himself.

True, I wouldn't expect a totally decent and hard working manager to attract the likes of Gabby Logan (where's the bloke?). I hope the day never comes when the mark of success, is getting the attention to the likes of her.
everyman

Enough to feed your obsession with Ctfc.W.D.Y.F.O.?
Shade
Ihearye wrote:

True, I wouldn't expect a totally decent and hard working manager to attract the likes of Gabby Logan (where's the bloke?). I hope the day never comes when the mark of success, is getting the attention to the likes of her.
Am I missing something, re Gabby Logan? She's married to Kenny Logan, ex Scot rugby international. Is he some kind of scumbag? Or is she known for liking workshy losers?

(wow, has this thread ever been de-railed...)
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
Ihearye wrote:

Am I missing something, re Gabby Logan? She's married to Kenny Logan, ex Scot rugby international. Is he some kind of scumbag? Or is she known for liking workshy losers?

You know the rules, all threads must be derailed after 10 posts :)
Re GL not her personally. Just tired of watching male teams competing in most sports and not being able to move for female presenters. Watch the womens World cup in football or netball and you can hardly find a male presenter to swear at!
(wow, has this thread ever been de-railed...)
Si Robin
You mean like the very feminine Dion Dublin, and the sultry Jonathan Pearce who was the main commentator?
Hubert Parry
Sexism is alive and well it would appear. I'd say that one or two posts are in breach of this forum's policy on discrimination.

It really is time that this all died out, people.
Ben3
Who’s the sexist - Michael or Graham Salisbury? Quite a strong accusation to level but would explain why he had it in for our (all male btw) team.

What do you mean this has gone off topic? :?:
Shade
:lol: I do love how winding these threads get, and how far off topic. I wonder where we would be at in 50 pages time.