Mark Cooper

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/october-2019 ... head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

interesting stuff.

Good to see the club still put being the 'greenest football club in the world' above the actual football matter, nauseating :roll:
Ihearye
betwen the lines - You couldn't pick your nose, can't get them fit. We are stuck with you so for God's sake do something constructive
Hubert Parry
Even by football's standards, this is a hopelessly drafted article.
Ben3
FGR have, in effect, sacked their manager. Cooper has had half his job taken from him by some bloke who was bought in very recently. Classic ‘management of underperforming departments’!

‘Hey mark! I’ve got a groovy idea! How about I split your job between you and someone else? If you disagree you are sacked btw...’

Yet again, this lot are an absolute treat. Hilarious

Cooper won’t last the winter, it’s a matter of if he can jump before he’s pushed
Chris FGR
Tbf I think you're misreading this somewhat. Richard Hughes has already been at the club for over a year, having been brought in on Cooper and our former assistant Scott Lindsey's recommendation. I believe he previously worked with and was friends with Lindsey in particular, and prior to officially being offered an official role as our head of recruitment had helped us with some transfer dealings during our promotion season, such as the loan signing of Kaiyne Woolery.

With Lindsey going due to personal reasons it's meant Cooper doing virtually all the coaching, so having Hughes taking a bit more responsibility makes sense. If anything Vince putting a friend of Cooper in that position highlights how strong his position is, the fact he wouldn't even have been sacked if we'd gone down (from what I heard and Vince even said) says a lot.

Cooper isn't everyone's cup of tea by any stretch but he certainly gets on well with Vince, which is a smart move and a mistake Pennock made and ultimately paid the price for. He won't be going anywhere imo, unless something has drastically changed behind the scenes, which I doubt given how this is arguably the most impressive period under Cooper's tenure, given the lack of assistant and reduced budget.
longmover
if you say so ;)
Chris FGR
longmover wrote:if you say so ;)
Haha yeah could be wrong of course. Just saying what I know. Guess we'll find out.

Vince isn't usually shy in wielding the axe though, so if he was unhappy with results or there was a falling out he wouldn't have done this, Cooper would be gone.

Btw I believe Cooper's contract expires next year, so it wouldn't cost a lot to sack him if Vince wanted to.

In any case whatever's happening on that front, the problems at the club atm aren't on the pitch, they're off it. Relationship between regime and the hardcore support is at an all time low.
tunnelvision
Not sure how removing a large part of Cooper's responsibilities can be classed as a promotion, although the structure change may make sense going forward.
Chris FGR
Agreed it's not a promotion. It's a change of job title. Strange way of putting it tbh, unless maybe he's got a pay rise?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
longmover wrote:if you say so ;)
Haha yeah could be wrong of course. Just saying what I know. Guess we'll find out.

Vince isn't usually shy in wielding the axe though, so if he was unhappy with results or there was a falling out he wouldn't have done this, Cooper would be gone.

Btw I believe Cooper's contract expires next year, so it wouldn't cost a lot to sack him if Vince wanted to.

In any case whatever's happening on that front, the problems at the club atm aren't on the pitch, they're off it. Relationship between regime and the hardcore support is at an all time low.
Erm...DV is incredibly shy when it comes to wielding the axe. Look at how long he stuck with the hapless Pennock for crying out loud. Most chairman would have sacked him months earlier or even at the end of his first season. Was it £5million plus losses Pennock racked up with no promotion? A hugely expensive failure who was given far too much time.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Erm...DV is incredibly shy when it comes to wielding the axe.
Not sure all his Ecotricity ex-employees would agree...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Erm...DV is incredibly shy when it comes to wielding the axe.
Not sure all his Ecotricity ex-employees would agree...
Yes very true. Amazing the contrast in his approach to hiring and firing between Ecotricity and Ecotricity FC.

I hope Pennock feels guilty - he literally stole a wage (800 of them).
Horteng
Definite demotion. No other way to look at it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:Definite demotion. No other way to look at it
Absolutely. The statement says Cooper couldn’t cope with the tasks he was meant to be responsible for so they had to appoint someone else to do most of it.

An analogy would be someone who manages a factory floor being told they can’t cope managing so they will be moved to just controlling a piece of machinery but promoted to Head machine operator whilst a new factory floor ‘director’ will be brought in to do everything else. 100% demotion.